+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Pink Triangle purchase advice

I'm Stephen.

Default Pink Triangle purchase advice

I have this itch to add a PT turntable to my little collection - never even heard one yet alone owned one so don't know why but I guess that's part of the fun of this hobby.

Anyway, it would be great to have some suggestions - I've read about the "issues" with early electronics but otherwise am pretty clueless about this TT family.

I'm not averse to taking on another refurb project.

Steve
    Always a little further

I'm Steve.

I had a Little Pink Thing for a while and thought it was dull as dish water. I even tried to pep it up with and Audio Technica OC9 and it still didn't sound dynamic. I can't say it was in Thorens/Linn league either. Build quality seemed lacking too. Don't get me wrong they had their followers. I think the PT Too/Export and Anniversary faired better.

I'm Geoff.

Sourcing spare parts might be an issue these days.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Adrian.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    Sourcing spare parts might be an issue these days.
    Not necessarilyhttp://www.true-point.audio have been offering all the major parts and upgrades for several years and often have TTs for sale.
    Listening is the act of aural discrimination and dissemination of sound, and accepting you get it wrong sometimes.

Analog Inputs: Pro-Ject Signature 10 TT & arm, Benz Micro LP-S, Michel Cusis MC, Goldring 2500 and Ortofon Rondo Blue cartridges, Hitachi FT5500 mk2 Tuner

Digital:- Marantz SA-KI Pearl CD player, RaspberryPi/HifiBerry Digi+ Pro, Buffalo NAS Drive

Amplification:- AudioValve Sunilda phono stage, Krell KSP-7B pre-amp, Krell KSA-80 power amp

Output: Wilson Benesch Vector speakers, KLH Ultimate One Headphones

Cables: Tellurium Q Ultra Black II RCA & Chord Epic 2 RCA, various speaker leads, & links

I think I am nearing audio nirvana, but don’t tell anyone.

I'm Adrian.

Quote Originally Posted by worrasf View Post
    I have this itch to add a PT turntable to my little collection - never even heard one yet alone owned one so don't know why but I guess that's part of the fun of this hobby.

Anyway, it would be great to have some suggestions - I've read about the "issues" with early electronics but otherwise am pretty clueless about this TT family.

I'm not averse to taking on another refurb project.

Steve
    Hi Steve,

A friend of mine had a PT Anniversary for at least 10 years and if was extremely good, it is probably the best one to get as it is vey quiet, is speed accurate, and with better suspension if I recall correctly. When I change TTs about 3 years ago I nearly went for one but came across a Voyd the Voyd which I opted for instead, not sure that was the best choice. Another friend had a Linn Sondek and told my other friend not to buy one as he considered the PT Anniversary a much better TT, with better overall presentation when partnered with a reasonable to good arm. I would have thought a good Jelco, SME or similar would be the way to go. If you cannot find an Anniversary (there is one on Ebaybut pricey) then a standard one and upgrade it may be a good option.

Cheers
    Listening is the act of aural discrimination and dissemination of sound, and accepting you get it wrong sometimes.

Analog Inputs: Pro-Ject Signature 10 TT & arm, Benz Micro LP-S, Michel Cusis MC, Goldring 2500 and Ortofon Rondo Blue cartridges, Hitachi FT5500 mk2 Tuner

Digital:- Marantz SA-KI Pearl CD player, RaspberryPi/HifiBerry Digi+ Pro, Buffalo NAS Drive

Amplification:- AudioValve Sunilda phono stage, Krell KSP-7B pre-amp, Krell KSA-80 power amp

Output: Wilson Benesch Vector speakers, KLH Ultimate One Headphones

Cables: Tellurium Q Ultra Black II RCA & Chord Epic 2 RCA, various speaker leads, & links

I think I am nearing audio nirvana, but don’t tell anyone.

I'm Stephen.

Quote Originally Posted by AJSki2fly View Post
    Hi Steve,

A friend of mine had a PT Anniversary for at least 10 years and if was extremely good, it is probably the best one to get as it is vey quiet, is speed accurate, and with better suspension if I recall correctly. When I change TTs about 3 years ago I nearly went for one but came across a Voyd the Voyd which I opted for instead, not sure that was the best choice. Another friend had a Linn Sondek and told my other friend not to buy one as he considered the PT Anniversary a much better TT, with better overall presentation when partnered with a reasonable to good arm. I would have thought a good Jelco, SME or similar would be the way to go. If you cannot find an Anniversary (there is one on Ebaybut pricey) then a standard one and upgrade it may be a good option.

Cheers
    Thank you Adrian - very helpful.

I have a mint Jelco TK850s not doing anything so that may be an option if I can find a "reasonably priced" Anniversary sans tonearm.

Steve
    Always a little further

I'm Paul.

Hi Steve

I had a PT Anniversary with a SME V for about 15 years. The suspension seem to require almost constant fiddling but when setup right sounded great. Unfortunately this turntable is regarded as a classic and will cost £2000+ so its probably not a casual buy. I'm much happier with my TW Acustic GT+ Raven since it requires much less fiddling around with.
    Out here on the perimeter there are no stars
    Out here we is stoned, immaculate
    The WASP - The Doors

I'm Michael.

I had a LPT, not a bad sounding turntable but buying a PT1 was a revelation. It trounced the LPT despite having a knackered bearing. One day I managed to find a 'vectored' PT1 on t'Bay. It had had a hard life but after a bit of sorting out it proved to be a wonderful deck. It has a rock stable motor/controller combination and the motor is positioned the same as the Anni. I use a Zeta arm and I've been completely happy with this deck for some years. I see no reason to ever change it.
    VinylEngine has a PT/Funk Firm section and all you need to know is there.

+ Reply to Thread