+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Klipsch Heresey 2 / IMF TLS80 MK 1 values and opinions

I'm Steve.

Default Klipsch Heresey 2 / IMF TLS80 MK 1 values and opinions

Hi, a long time indeed since I have posted here but I have arisen from obscurity to look for advice. I have an opportunity to buy either of the two listed loudspeakers, which are likely chalk and cheese! I am looking for opinions as to the value of the items, assume both are in working if not pristine condition. Any opinions greatly appreciated, thank you all and I hope you had a great Easter break.

Steve

Sent from my M2012K11AG using Tapatalk
    They swim... the mark of Satan is upon them. They must hang.

FLAC / WDTV Live / Cambridge Audio / Tannoy VX12

I'm Steve.

Oh sorry I forgot to mention, source will be a Rotel RCD955AX CD player and amplifier yet to be determined but will be based on potential speaker choice.

Steve

I'm Lawrence.

You can pick up the IMFs for £4-500 off Gumtree if you're lucky but well advertised they can fetch a bit more on eBay. Watch out for scratchy mid ranges on certain frequencies and the Coles supertweeter not working, it's easy to miss.

They are amazing speakers I miss mine a lot

I'm Steve.

Quote Originally Posted by Lawrence001 View Post
    You can pick up the IMFs for £4-500 off Gumtree if you're lucky but well advertised they can fetch a bit more on eBay. Watch out for scratchy mid ranges on certain frequencies and the Coles supertweeter not working, it's easy to miss.

They are amazing speakers I miss mine a lot
    Hi Lawrence. The pair I am looking at are considerably less costly, and from the age will be the mark 1. I have had a pair of Super Compacts in the past, and I did have to replace the mids in them. What would you say are the strengths and weaknesses of the TLS80? Thanks, Steve

I'm Geoff.

I could be wrong, but I have the impression that the Heresy/Heresy 2 are speakers that many do not keep for long. Whereas, the opposite applies to the IMFs (possibly because they are too enormous, heavy and awkward to shift ). If I had to choose, my pick would be the TLS80. Some parts may be getting scarce, but Falcon Electronics are good at finding suitable alternatives.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Lawrence.

Quote Originally Posted by aquapiranha View Post
    Hi Lawrence. The pair I am looking at are considerably less costly, and from the age will be the mark 1. I have had a pair of Super Compacts in the past, and I did have to replace the mids in them. What would you say are the strengths and weaknesses of the TLS80? Thanks, Steve

Strengths, sound good at all volumes, deep but tight bass even if close to walls (50cm in my case) not sure about corner placement though, nice sounding, probably not as refined as modern quite expensive speakers but a lot of fun, and not unrefined at all. I think mine were probably the MK1 too I wouldn't get hung up on that at all.

I'd just watch out they can't be pushed as hard as modern speakers of a similar (or even smaller) size as the drive units then weren't designed for the SPLs some like these days.

Sound like they might be a bargain. If the Klipsch are too them I'd just get them both and see which I prefer. Definitely if you can get both pairs for under £400 (condition dependent) I'd just go for it.

I'm Steve.

Quote Originally Posted by Lawrence001 View Post
    Strengths, sound good at all volumes, deep but tight bass even if close to walls (50cm in my case) not sure about corner placement though, nice sounding, probably not as refined as modern quite expensive speakers but a lot of fun, and not unrefined at all. I think mine were probably the MK1 too I wouldn't get hung up on that at all.

I'd just watch out they can't be pushed as hard as modern speakers of a similar (or even smaller) size as the drive units then weren't designed for the SPLs some like these days.

Sound like they might be a bargain. If the Klipsch are too them I'd just get them both and see which I prefer. Definitely if you can get both pairs for under £400 (condition dependent) I'd just go for it.
    Brilliant thanks for your advice. The IMFs would be £300, the Hereseys £500. I will have a long think...

Steve

I'm Lawrence.

I'd have the IMFs for that if the cabinets weren't too bad and the drivers all worked. They are in my top 3 speakers ever owned out of what must be 100 odd.

I'm Martin.

IMF will need the crossovers redoing probably, mine were way out of spec. Falcon sell ready made pack of components.

I'd avoid the Hereseys at all costs.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Steve.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    IMF will need the crossovers redoing probably, mine were way out of spec. Falcon sell ready made pack of components.

I'd avoid the Hereseys at all costs.
    Hi Macca. Yes I saw the kit on the Falcon website, it looks like they are the go to people for IMF spares. Why would you give the Hereseys a wide berth? I have head that the mid is sublime but the bass a bit lacking..

Steve

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast