+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Blown mid range driver - can it be repaired?

I'm Stuart.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    I would open up the working speaker and see how the wiring on that driver is configured, should give you some idea of what goes where.

Really hard to tell from the photos.
    Thanks Martin.
    I haven’t removed the working mid range driver yet but will do so. At least it’ll show me if that brown gunk stuff is on both speakers or whether it’s some sort of repair.

I'm Stuart.

Quote Originally Posted by fatmarley View Post
    You can buy tinsel wire on eBay. As long as there's enough to solder to where it joins the cone, I'd replace the other piece of wire that is soldered to the terminal.

It would be worth experimenting with a cheap, old driver first.
    Thanks for this.
    I confess to having a real problem trying to determine the exact path of the wires, where they’re joined/soldered, etc. And that’s with the speaker in front of me!
    That brown stuff (hardened glue?, resin?) is a real pain as it hides what’s going on.
    Good idea to try out first on an old driver.

I'm Martin.

The Severn was quite a feted speaker in its day, I seem to recall Hi-Fi World often recommending them at that price point.

I can only remember hearing the 'Trent' which was a little bookshelf job, I was not so keen on those.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Lawrence.

It looks to me like the card/pulp material they were attached to (which is the part of the cone that goes into the voice coil) has ripped away, like the wires were pulled I can't see how overheating would cause that but maybe there's a tension in place and overheating causes a break which then pulls it away.

If you can't see the wires where the voice coil starts to join them back to, then I'm not sure how you can fix them.

I think a bit of slightly watered PVA glue could be used to stick the card material back but without soldering the wires back it's pointless.

Basically I probably have to see them to know but if you can see little wires coming out of the middle you might be ok

I'm Stuart.

Thanks, Lawrence.
    I’ve just e-mailed someone local who, I think, may do speaker repairs. I’ll see if he comes back to me. If he does, then I could drop the speaker off for him to have a look.
    I’m going to remove the working driver in an attempt to see if the brown coloured ‘stuff’ is on both. If it is, then probably factory applied. If it isn’t, then it’s probably a previous repair to the non-working speaker.
    Thanks
    Stuart

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12