+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Chromecast Audio

I'm Rob.

Default Chromecast Audio

Anyone here still use one of these? I mothballed mine a few years ago but decided to give it another airing. I recently bought an ifi Zen Dac V2 to stream Spotify. I was getting good results with a Dacmagic bought in 2009 using USB in from a PC, but I think the ifi pips it in most areas.

I use the Dig Out in the CC and I have to say that for the £20 I paid it does not embarass itself, in fact it sounds really good. Mind you as is it only outputting a digital signal it depends on the quality of the Dac it is connected to.
    Buy Bose...And get your parking validated!.

https://youtu.be/ZCBe7-6rw4M

No Highs...No Lows....It Must Be Bose!

I'm Rockabilly.

I have one in each of two systems, Rob, feeding an RME DAC and a Rega DAC.
    The Chromecast is outperformed by my modified Node 2 streamer but it's great for sources that are not BluOS enabled, such as Bandcamp.
    I bought them as replacements for my Squeezebox Touch unit, when Logitech discontinued. However, my Touch is still in full working order, and sounds better than the Chromecast by some margin.
    But in terms of value for money, the Chromecast is good.
    Last edited by camtwister; 31-03-2022 at 12:20.
    Johnny Dodgem.

Cartridges vintage MMs including Pickering xsv-4000/xsv-3000 : Stanton 881s/D81 : AT140LC/VMN40ML
    Spinners hot rod 1210 (Jelco 750D, Origami, Ammonite, Longdog, Vantage, Achromats) : Pye G63 & Garrard AT6 : Two full custom Lencos : Kenwood KD-650D
    Streaming Qobuz : BluOS & Node2 (Fidelity Audio modified) : RME ADI-2 DAC
    Pre-amps Tron Seven (GT modified) : Conrad Johnson EV1 : Croft Micro 25 : Decware ZStage
    Power Amps PrimaLuna ProLogue 5 (KT120) : PrimaLuna ProLogue 4 (KT77)
    Speakers The Edingdale : Meadowlark Hot Rod Shearwater

I'm Rob.

In life I have always tended to favour the underdog, the type that don't have the capabilities to be top notch but do as much as they can within their capabilites to achieve their aims and goals.

I probably unconciously apply this to my listening experience of kit and components.

I have been recently been using two Chromecast Audio dongles as virtual Squeezeboxes with Logitech Media Server and the CastBridge plugin to make it possible. When the dongle is used as a transport only optically connected to an external DAC they are excellent (limited by the DAC). The Chromecast's own DAC is OK, but you must remember to turn off the dynamic compression (that is off by default when an external DAC is used.)

They are remarkable devices and I am sorry Google no longer make them.
    Brian

In Southampton: Raspberry Pi 4 running PiCorePlayer, Beresford Caiman SEG, Quad 77 Int Amp and CD Player, AVI Neutron 4, Sennheiser HD25 headphones.
    In Nicosia: Small Format HTPC, Beresford 7520 ,Quad 405-2, Quart 980s German Tower Loudspeakers.

I'm Rob.

Quote Originally Posted by Labarum View Post
    The Chromecast's own DAC is OK, but you must remember to turn off the dynamic compression (that is off by default when an external DAC is used.

They are remarkable devices and I am sorry Google no longer make them.
    I only read that recently, but I also read that the dynamic compression only applies if you are using it as analogue out. If you are using an optical out adaptor it automatically outputs the full signal. When I pair it with Google Home the only sound settings I get are a basic equaliser of Bass and Treble, but these can be helpful if used judiciously.

Quote Originally Posted by Puffin View Post
    dynamic compression only applies if you are using it as analogue out. If you are using an optical out adaptor it automatically outputs the full signal
    Isn't that what I just said?
    Brian

In Southampton: Raspberry Pi 4 running PiCorePlayer, Beresford Caiman SEG, Quad 77 Int Amp and CD Player, AVI Neutron 4, Sennheiser HD25 headphones.
    In Nicosia: Small Format HTPC, Beresford 7520 ,Quad 405-2, Quart 980s German Tower Loudspeakers.

I'm Rob.

Isn't that what I just said?
    Yes! of course. Silly me.

I'm Rob.

Having got good results with the CC and using my phone to control Spotify I wondered if it was possible to get a digital signal from a phone to power a Dac. I am not very clever with how phones and PCs work so what I found is probably very elementary stuff to most. I had never heard of an OTG lead and seeing that some (or most?) phones are able to power a Dac and checking that mine was one of them I took a punt and spent a massive £2.20 on an OTG and If if didn't work well..........

Cable arrived and I plugged the cable into the phone and a USB cable from the Dac and yes it worked.....very well....in fact much better than I would have expected. I am surprised that there is not more info about this way of powering a Dac, maybe everyone wants to go wireless.

And there are OTG adaptors that power the DAC or other peripheral from an external power supply so as not to drain the phone battery; and there are even cables that allow you to charge the phone and drive the DAC at the same time.
    Brian

I'm Rob.

And there are OTG adaptors that power the DAC or other peripheral from an external power supply so as not to drain the phone battery; and there are even cables that allow you to charge the phone and drive the DAC at the same time.
    Thanks for that.I will have a look.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast