+ Reply to Thread

Thread: KT 120 valves unobtainable

I'm John.

Default KT 120 valves unobtainable

I have also written this elsewhere. My Rogue Titan Atlas Magnum uses 4 x KT 120 power tubes, now Tungsol KT120's are not physically or ethically an option & the Shuguang factory has burnt down, buying the Shuguang Treasure KT120's described by many including the Stereo Times as the best available, bought from an unknown source even NOS could be subject to being seconds or worse.

I don't know whether the Psvane KT120's are still available, I have been lead to believe they were made by Shuguang I contacted Mark O'brien at Rogue Audio about using KT150's he said not viable so by extension KT170's are not an option either I have no wish to melt a transformer.

My tubes are several years old biased at 40Ma that's 35Ma on the gauge + 5Ma due to a resistor? even biased at such a low figure they won't last forever. Lets hope the Chinese Government builds a new Shuguang factory & starts production off KT120's.

If not what do I do... I tried KT 88's when my last set of KT 120'S needed replacing KT88'S were the original fitment in the Atlas Magnum, I have as stated used KT88's they sounded anaemic in comparison to the KT120's I have thought about them may be a poor if only option to my ears in my system.

Ant thoughts...

I'm John.

Default THANK YOU CageyH re KT120'S

I would like to thank Kevin CageyH for sending me a PM re Watford Valves having some KT120's I ordered x 4 on the internet for my Rogue Titan Atlas magnum on Sunday afternoon by Monday afternoon there were none shown on the website.
    4 x KT 120's arrived well packed today (Tuesday) at 1100 hrs great service all 4 worked no unwanted noises.

I'm Phil.

great news . enjoy
    ou might slip, you might slide, you might
    Stumble and fall by the road side
    But don't you ever let nobody drag your spirit down
    Remember you're walking up to heaven

Don't let nobody turn you around
    … Walk with the rich, walk with the poor
    Learn from everyone, that's what life is for
    And don't you let nobody drag your spirit down

Eric Bibb

I'm John.

I would like to thank Kevin CageyH for sending me a PM re Watford Valves having some KT120's I ordered x 4 on the internet for my Rogue Titan Atlas magnum on Sunday afternoon by Monday afternoon there were none shown on the website.
    4 x KT 120's arrived well packed today (Tuesday) at 1100 hrs great service all 4 worked no unwanted noises.
    Quote Originally Posted by hifinutt View Post
    great news . enjoy
    I did not think that Watford Valves had any KT120's because someone on another forum said they did not, CageyH is apparently in France he found them! for me. Yesterday I looked at Watford Valves site KT120's were listed as in stock, may be of use to somebody.
    Last edited by palace; 11-04-2022 at 12:37. Reason: error

I'm Kevin.

Quote Originally Posted by palace View Post
    After your tip off for a suitable glue for an isolator, it was nice to be able to help you out.
    Kevin

Too busy enjoying the music....

European loan coordinator for Graham Slee HiFi system components..

I'm John.

Quote Originally Posted by CageyH View Post
    After your tip off for a suitable glue for an isolator, it was nice to be able to help you out.
    CageyH Thank you very much, perhaps what goes around comes around after all. Usually it is said no good deed goes unpunished.

I'm Justin.

I had a pair of Ayon monos with 20 KT120s in then a while back for a good few months. Yes - 20!.

Not buying them now seems like not such a bad idea!

Sent from my LE2123 using Tapatalk

I'm Lawrence.

I've got a matched quad of Hot Rox Cryo treated Genelex Gold Lion KT88s in my spares collection, I reckon now could be the time to monetise them. I think they can be classed as NOS now given the production/import issues

I'm Dave.

I have a couple of boxes of NOS valves - Mullard, GEC KT66, EL34 etc.Also have some very rare valves. Need to have a rummage and see what's what.

+ Reply to Thread