+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A long held desire for a reel-to-reel, but...

I'm Phil.

Default A long held desire for a reel-to-reel, but...

...I have no idea what I'd do with it.

I keep lusting over the occasional Revox and imagining it sitting in some as yet uncleared space in my not-very-large flat - and then I think "Yeah...and what exactly would you be doing with it, Lawton?"

I'm under no illusion that part of my reel-to-reel envy is some kind of vanity project, but can I ask what you owners use yours for? And how often?

I'm inthescottishmafia.

Mine’s been in storage for a good while, but I used to record live stuff on Sky Arts, mostly acoustic gigs, some of which were superb SQ, and make up compilation tapes. With the best sounding recordings it was the best sounding source I’ve had in my system. This was with a Tandberg TD20A. I also had an RT909 which while it looked fantastic, couldn’t match the sonics of the Tandberg so I eventually sold it.
    “Music has always been a matter of energy to me, a question of fuel. Sentimental people call it inspiration, but what they really mean is fuel. I have always needed fuel. I am a serious consumer. On some nights I still believe that a car with the gas needle on empty can run about fifty more miles if you have the right music very loud on the radio”

Hunter S Thompson

I'm Phil.

Quote Originally Posted by Ali Tait View Post
    Mine’s been in storage for a good while, but I used to record live stuff on Sky Arts, mostly acoustic gigs, some of which were superb SQ, and make up compilation tapes. With the best sounding recordings it was the best sounding source I’ve had in my system. This was with a Tandberg TD20A. I also had an RT909 which while it looked fantastic, couldn’t match the sonics of the Tandberg so I eventually sold it.
    The oft mentioned SQ is one of the things that leads me down this particular garden path, Ali.

Glad you critiqued the RT909…I’ve seen a few of them on eBay and loved the look, but if the performance is sub par, the procuring one might be a bit of a waste of time and, more importantly, money.

I’ve seen a used Revox in a local(ish) shop for £1200…I think it’s a B77. Not sure if that price is a tad high, but I’m sure there’s a fair bit of retail margin in there somewhere. Am I thinking along the right lines?

Recording live gigs is a fine idea, but I’m still not convinced. Any other suggestions from anyone?

I'm Martin.

It's the coolest format there is but the machines are expensive, break down, need regular calibration which isn't trivial to do, good tape is pricey, and so on. It's an expensive game to do it properly.

I'd love one but head rules heart. I have considered getting one that doesn't work but looks good just a showpiece, but even they are too much money just for a decoration.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm inthescottishmafia.

It could be mine just needed some work. Yeah I’d say a B77 is a good shout, not heard one but they have a good rep.

Prices have gone crazy in the last few years. I took a punt on the Tandberg from ebay, turned out it was in great condition and just needed a basic service as it had been in the guy’s loft for years (it was his dad’s). I paid £200. The same now would be 1500-2k and I’d guess. If you’re handy enough you can service them yourself, just download the manuals.

Worth buying a demagnetiser too.
    “Music has always been a matter of energy to me, a question of fuel. Sentimental people call it inspiration, but what they really mean is fuel. I have always needed fuel. I am a serious consumer. On some nights I still believe that a car with the gas needle on empty can run about fifty more miles if you have the right music very loud on the radio”

Hunter S Thompson

I'm inthescottishmafia.

The price on that Revox isn’t ridiculous for retail I don’t think, as long as it’s in good nick and been serviced.

Hunter S Thompson

I'm Bob.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Lawton View Post
    ...I have no idea what I'd do with it.
    You've summed it up nicely - my experience was similar. Couldn't afford one as a £7 a week apprentice when they were current (late 60's / 70's) and wanted to record the BBC top 20 on a Sunday afternoon because I couldn't afford to buy singles or LP's.

Fast forward 50 years and a few things have changed but the ache to own one hadn't gone away, so I bought a 1981 (I think) AKAI 635D. Turned out it had a few undisclosed faults so took it to Vintage Tech for rescue. Came back working perfectly so £300 well spent. VU meters were mesmerising and I was captivated by it. But sitting and just looking at it will only carry you so far - but it was drop dead gorgeous to my eyes and the SQ sublime.

But now what to use it for? Recording the Top 20 now (if such a thing exists) would be a listening hell. Music listening is in another room to the family room containing the SKY box, so recording SKY ARTS concerts (good as they are) are out.

CD's sounded better recorded onto the tape format, especially some Hi-Res tracks (or maybe they were just better produced albums). Some vinyl went onto tape (omitting the tracks I didn't care for) and with the auto reverse feature on the 635 I got long, uninterrupted listening sessions that were a joy.

But there was a nagging doubt in the back of my mind that wouldn't budge. These are complicated electro mechanical devices that are old, suffer from transistor rot, fixable by only a few and prone to failure no matter how much care are lavished on them. Factor in the cost of 10.5" reels, tape pancakes, demagnetiser etc and they're far from a cheap option to buy and run.

In the end I wasn't using it quite as much as I thought I would so after 4 years sold it, full working order to someone with the same itch to scratch that I'd had.

Do I regret buying it? No. Prices had risen during my ownership so even with the refurb cost thrown in I broke even. How many hobbies can you say that about?
    Source: Orbe SE / SME IV / Cadenza Bronze
    Source: WD NAS / Cyrus Stream X2 / Chord DAVE
    Source: Oppo UDP-205 (CD/DVD-A/SACD)

Amplification: Icon Audio PS 3 Sig Phono + Audio Research LS27 + Musical Fidelity A5cr Power Amp
    Loudspeakers: ProAc Response D28
    Cables/stands: Mark Grant G1500HD + Linn K20 + Cat 5e
    Other bits: Okki Nokki keeping things clean

I'm Phil.

Yeah...slowly coming to terms with the fact that a reel-to-reel would rapidly become a fantastic-but-expensive ornament.

Thanks for your input, everyone - you've confirmed what I suspected. Best spend the money on records, no?

I'm Alan.

Not in my opinion
    I sold 98% of my records last year as I was fed up criticizing the record the set up cleaning the stylus, cleaning the record, checking the alignment, trying 3 other versions of the same LP to see which on sounds best ?/, record noise, snap crackle and pop. I really don't miss it.

Its a good point with reel to reel, what do you use it for ?, I use it to make mix tapes from Hi Res files on my NAS drive or Tidal, but I still love the playback quality from this format and I also think its cool as F**k, can't see me ever being without R2R
    Alan
    Turntable - Garrard 401/Jelco 750L/Ortofon Kontrapunkt B, Pioneer PLC 590, Micro Sieki MA505 , Denon DL103R - DIY Paradise Phono stage - Reel 2 Reel Studer A810, Otari MX55,Tascam BR20, Revox A77, B77, PR99, TEAC X1000 & 3440, Digital HTPC / Young Dac - Preamp - DIY B4, 821, Power Amp's DIY Avondale NCC300 Mono Block, Speakers Wilmslow Kit Volt BM220.8 / Scanspeak D2905/9500

I'm Alan.

https://theartofsound.net/forum/show...-tape-recorder

This is a nice R2R that belongs to a friend of mine and I have checked it over
    He bought it recapped and calibrated for RTM SM911 tape, I have checked that calibration and tweaked it it to a flat freq response
    The heads a very good and it sounds very good and overall its in excellent condition
    If anyone was interested in buying it I would be willing to recalibrate it to any tape type you require FOC.
    Alan
    Turntable - Garrard 401/Jelco 750L/Ortofon Kontrapunkt B, Pioneer PLC 590, Micro Sieki MA505 , Denon DL103R - DIY Paradise Phono stage - Reel 2 Reel Studer A810, Otari MX55,Tascam BR20, Revox A77, B77, PR99, TEAC X1000 & 3440, Digital HTPC / Young Dac - Preamp - DIY B4, 821, Power Amp's DIY Avondale NCC300 Mono Block, Speakers Wilmslow Kit Volt BM220.8 / Scanspeak D2905/9500

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast