+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Looking for another cd player

I'm Adam.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    They're mistaken IME.
    Mistaken probably not the right word - there are definitely numerous cases of players that scratch discs (perhaps a certain batch).

Here is the whole 22 page discussion - lots of happy users but also plenty of disgruntled customers:-

http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/thread...nsport.860164/

I don't have the Audiolab so have no axe to grind.

But I do have a circa £900 Creek 50CD player with a slot loader...

...just occasionally on eject it will say BLOCKED and the disc will only come part way out. A second eject is succesful.

Tiny scratches (about a millimetre long) can be discerned on the playing surface. They don't affect playback but it doesn't help my OCD!

The Creek is over 5 years old and out of warranty - but I won't buy another slot loader.
    Adam.

I'm Martin.

I've read the whole thread months ago. I stand by my assertion. A dodgy batch is very unlikely, and if you look at how the mech works then you can see that it would need to be completely different to start doing damage.

I think most likely is that the discs were already scratched since even brand new discs can show marks. Or they have been careless inserting the disc and scraped it on the edge of the slot.

I probably would not buy another slot loader either but only because I find it more awkward to use than a drawer, especially in low light.

One of the advantages of CD is that it is fairly robust in any case, especially compared to vinyl where you are slightly damaging the disc every time you play it. What does that do for OCD?
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Adam.

I've not really got OCD!

But if I did have - I would be OK with the turntable vinyl wear process (as it is a natural part of the designed process).

With a properly designed CD player - you shouldn't get scratches (unless you are cack handed).

I have tested my Creek slot loader with an unblemished free magazine disc.

I looked at the disc surface before insertion (to ensure the disc surface was perfect)...

...I then inserted and ejected the disc several times.

As I say you occasionally get tiny little marks (which cannot be polished out).

I have some discs that are worth a lot on the collector's market - so it is a concern.

The slot loader in the Suzuki Cappucino sports car I had in the mid 90s used to scratch discs more regularly...

...a lot of my mid 90s car listening discs now have the characteristic marks.

When I crashed the Suzuki and wrote it off - I accidentally left "The Best Of New Order" in the car's player. That disc was riddled with circular scratches (so no big loss!)

Steve Hoffman readers are normally really anal about disc handling etc (so I wouldn't rule out what they say entirely).
    Adam.

I'm Martin.

I did test mine with a brand new and - as far as I could see - unblemished disc. Did 5 inserts and exits, no marks at all.

I could easily sell the Audiolab on or put it in the spares pile if I decided I didn't want to use it anymore and buy something else instead, I can afford to. But I'm not spending money for no reason.

The people on SHF complaining struck me as the types who would complain about anything. They seem to think a few marks on a CD mean it will lose fidelity, even though it still plays without interruption, which is incorrect.

The reality is that marks on a CD don't equate to damage. The disc will still play perfectly. Some swirls or scratches on the surface just don't matter a jot. So whether their Audiolabs mark discs or not is irrelevant.
    Current Lash Up:

I'm Adam.

Some swirls or scratches on the surface just don't matter a jot. So whether their Audiolabs mark discs or not is irrelevant.
    ...unless you want to sell high value discs on Discogs (which gives separate gradings for media and sleeve materials).

If you are playing the latest Adele disc - probably not an issue...

...but a Japanese Factory Joy Division CD box set for £300 would be a shame scratch.
    Adam.

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Theadmans View Post
    ...unless you want to sell high value discs on Discogs (which gives separate gradings for media and sleeve materials).

If you are playing the latest Adele disc - probably not an issue...

...but a Japanese Factory Joy Division CD box set for £300 would be a shame scratch.
    I never look at CDs on Discogs. Do you mean that they grade them on how many marks are visible on the surface? If so that's silly of them. I can see in that case why you might worry about the value of a rare CD being diminished though.
    Current Lash Up:

I'm Martin.

Found a disc that will not play on the Audiolab. A Thievery Corporation album. It's not a 'proper' red book CD but it would play fine on my Sony SACD player from 2003.

Just gives me 'bad disc' message.
    Current Lash Up:

I'm Phil.

ou might slip, you might slide, you might
    Stumble and fall by the road side
    But don't you ever let nobody drag your spirit down
    Remember you're walking up to heaven

Don't let nobody turn you around
    … Walk with the rich, walk with the poor
    Learn from everyone, that's what life is for
    And don't you let nobody drag your spirit down

Eric Bibb

I'm Mike.

Can't believe I've had this DAC for 2/3 years sat in a box! It's tremendous, best upgrade ever.
    Current system 1210 GR. CDP - Meridian G08. Amp -Sugden A21I - Sig. Wharfedale Lintons.

I'm Adam.

I never look at CDs on Discogs. Do you mean that they grade them on how many marks are visible on the surface? If so that's silly of them. I can see in that case why you might worry about the value of a rare CD being diminished though.
    Yep CD playing surfaces are graded separately to the sleeve. Maybe not as important as vinyl but still a thing in tge collector's world.
    Adam.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast