+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Looking for another cd player

I'm Lawrence.

This is true but is the Audiolab necessarily "better" than a Pioneer SP?

Sent from my BKL-L09 using Tapatalk

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Lawrence001 View Post
    This is true but is the Audiolab necessarily "better" than a Pioneer SP?

quite possibly not.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Adam.

The Audiolab has got a lot of fans...

...but is a slot loader. A number of people on the Steve Hoffman forum have reported that it scratches discs.

The Cambridge CXC is a conventional drawer loader and is also well thought as a transport.
    Adam.

I'm Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    The PD-8700 only has optical out I believe.
    Yep
    Current system 1210 GR. CDP - Meridian G08. Amp -Sugden A21I - Sig. Wharfedale Lintons.

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Theadmans View Post
    The Audiolab has got a lot of fans...

...but is a slot loader. A number of people on the Steve Hoffman forum have reported that it scratches discs.
    They're mistaken IME.
    Current Lash Up:

I'm Rob.

Quote Originally Posted by StanleyB View Post
    My experience as a former CDP repair engineer is that the digital RCA output on many CD players is a tiny wire wound transformer that can be worse than the optical output. That transformer only gives out 0.6V, which then needs to be amplified to 5V in the external DAC. And digital amps are prone to jitter at this level. There is also an issue with mains and circuit noise using that metal cable as a conduit to get into the DAC.
    Looks like I maybe wrong.
    Rob.
    Powered by crossed fingers and clenched buttocks

I'm Lawrence.

I've often thought about the electrical Vs optical debate. Advice in the early days of DACs was to use optical as you maintained electrical isolation, but at some point the preference seems to have veered towards electrical. I've done a few comparisons over the years and always landed on electrical. However it was always because the music sounded a bit more lively and detailed that way. Maybe this is the result of jitter or distortion. Might be worth revisiting and giving the optical longer to bed in (to my ears that is).

I'm Martin.

I did a comparison years ago and thought optical sounded a tiny bit softer. But with my current equipment I can't distinguish between the two.
    Current Lash Up:

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Lawrence001 View Post
    I've often thought about the electrical Vs optical debate. Advice in the early days of DACs was to use optical as you maintained electrical isolation, but at some point the preference seems to have veered towards electrical. I've done a few comparisons over the years and always landed on electrical. However it was always because the music sounded a bit more lively and detailed that way
    That has been my experience too. In my system, trying over a dozen different DACs over the years with a great variety of CD players and transports linked up with various optical or electrical cables, I invariably preferred electrical. I stopped experimenting with optical cables years ago
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Adrian.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    They're mistaken IME.
    They are mistaken I have the 8300CDQ which uses the same slot mech. and it is fine
    Listening is the act of aural discrimination and dissemination of sound, and accepting you get it wrong sometimes.

Analog Inputs: Pro-Ject Signature 10 TT & arm, Benz Micro LP-S, Michel Cusis MC, Goldring 2500 and Ortofon Rondo Blue cartridges, Hitachi FT5500 mk2 Tuner

Digital:- Marantz SA-KI Pearl CD player, RaspberryPi/HifiBerry Digi+ Pro, Buffalo NAS Drive

Amplification:- AudioValve Sunilda phono stage, Krell KSP-7B pre-amp, Krell KSA-80 power amp

Output: Wilson Benesch Vector speakers, KLH Ultimate One Headphones

Cables: Tellurium Q Ultra Black II RCA & Chord Epic 2 RCA, various speaker leads, & links

I think I am nearing audio nirvana, but don’t tell anyone.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast