+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Recommendations regarding an Ortofon, not too expensive.

I'm Horacio.

Default Recommendations regarding an Ortofon, not too expensive.

Hi Chaps,

I may be getting a PM Mk6 tonearm. Angus recommends a cartridge with good detail and good treble extension, he leans towards Ortofon but, with exception of a Super MK II, I had thirty years ago, I know nothing about their new line. I am looking for recommendations for an Ortofon that fits this criteria, not too expensive please.

Cheers,

I'm Kevin.

MC I assume?
    Kevin

Too busy enjoying the music....

European loan coordinator for Graham Slee HiFi system components..

I'm Horacio.

Yes, MC.

I'm Kevin.

Just because Angus likes Ortofon, there is no need to follow suit.
    What brand do you normally run?
    Kevin

I'm Horacio.

In the past five years I had a Linn LP12-Ittok LVIII-Benz Micro, sold it and bought a Technics SP-10-FR66-Denon DL-103R. Now I have a rebuilt 401-3009-Denon DL-103R which was the wrong cartridge for this arm.

A factor which many users do not take into account is the effect of the turntable itself on cartridge choice. Belt drives tend to softness which some equate to delicacy, direct drives are mostly neutral and speed stable, and idlers are bass-heavy. These are generalisations of course, with some exceptions, but need to be considered when choosing a cartridge. With my focus on classical music and a 401 idler (which is bass-heavy) I should look for a cartridge with good detail and good treble extension. Otherwise the delicate end of the sweep of classical will be lost. So it is not a matter of taste.

I'm Mike.

I'm using an Ortofon 2M Blue cartridge on a Thorens TD203 turntable. It has excellent detail and clarity, superb extended highs, tight bass and a punchy sound. And for a very good price too. Their entire 2M series is spectacular w/ excellent reviews.

Last edited by Light Capture; 05-03-2022 at 02:01.

I'm Kevin.

Quote Originally Posted by F575M View Post
    In the past five years I had a Linn LP12-Ittok LVIII-Benz Micro, sold it and bought a Technics SP-10-FR66-Denon DL-103R. Now I have a rebuilt 401-3009-Denon DL-103R which was the wrong cartridge for this arm.

A factor which many users do not take into account is the effect of the turntable itself on cartridge choice. Belt drives tend to softness which some equate to delicacy, direct drives are mostly neutral and speed stable, and idlers are bass-heavy. These are generalisations of course, with some exceptions, but need to be considered when choosing a cartridge. With my focus on classical music and a 401 idler (which is bass-heavy) I should look for a cartridge with good detail and good treble extension. Otherwise the delicate end of the sweep of classical will be lost. So it is not a matter of taste.
    If you are looking for something not too expensive, then how about the AT33PTG/II?
    It is not bass heavy, but has good detail.
    Kevin

I'm Horacio.

Frightfully sorry chaps but I should have been more clear. This time I would prefer a High Output MC, like Mike suggested, in order avoid an unnecessary link to the chain, a transformer and another pair of cables. That's the reason I recently sold my Auditorium A 23 SUT.

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by F575M View Post
    This time I would prefer a High Output MC
    That rather limits your choice and most high output MC's that I've heard or owned haven't generally been wonderful. The high output version of the Goldring Eroica is reputed to be decent though, not tried it myself.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Kevin.

Hana SH or MH would be worth a try.

That is based on user feedback, as I have never owned either.
    Kevin

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast