+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Has anybody tried different XLR plugs (pin material related)?

I'm Kevin.

Default Has anybody tried different XLR plugs (pin material related)?

Having just bought my Topping Pre90, I need to fit my own cables in to the system.
    I currently have a Graham Slee Libran cable fitted, which I have borrowed from the loan scheme.

I already have some PC-OCC cable available to convert from a single ended interconnect, to a balanced cable. I just need some plugs. Before I have always used Neutrik Silver plated plugs, but these have brass contacts.

Has anybody compared the standard brass contacts to something like off copper, OCC copper or even silver?
    Did it make a big difference to anything other than a smaller bank balance?

Once you get past Neutrik, prices seem to spiral for HiFi plugs.
    Kevin

Too busy enjoying the music....

European loan coordinator for Graham Slee HiFi system components..

I'm Dennis.

I may be largely ridiculed, but in view of the other very much weaker links in the chain, I cannot believe that a few mOhms resulting from a short length of metal can make a significant difference. I use Neutric, and so do the professionals. Many resistor leads are steel.

There is a video of a speaker being connected via a key ring, a bit of 'chocolate' silver paper, a nail and other objects, and in a high end system, with no detectable sound difference from using a speaker cable.

I'm Kevin.

I am not going to ridicule you for your opinion. Thanks for responding.
    I have ordered some silver plated Neutrik connectors, as I am not sure if I would be able to hear a difference with a HiFi based connector.

I am just interested to see if anybody has already gone down this path before, and could save me a lot of money.

I am sure that there may be a small difference, but as my listening room is not perfect, would I be able to hear it? I can buy four Neutrik connectors for less than €20, and four Neotech OCC XLR connectors are about €220.
    €200 for a slight increase in performance is probably not worth it.

Not having any HiFi buddies in the vicinity, blind testing would be difficult as my wife will not be the slightest bit interested in swapping (or not) a cable for me.
    Kevin

I'm Lawrence.

If the PC OCC is Van Damme or similar I certainly wouldn't go over Neutrik which are more than fine.

Sent from my BKL-L09 using Tapatalk

I'm openingabottleofwine.

I make up my own cables, and the majority of my system use balanced interconnects. Connectors used are either by Switchcraft, ITT Cannon, but the majority are by Neutrik. I have not noted any difference between silver or gold plating.

My favourite balanced interconnects use EMT 2111 cable or Neumann IC3 cable, terminated with Neutrik gold plated XLR connectors.

Therefore I agree wholehartedly with both Dennis and Lawrence.
    Last edited by Barry; 03-03-2022 at 10:50. Reason: spelling
    Barry

I'm Kevin.

The OCC will be either Elecaudio, Neotech or Furutech.
    Plating is not really the question. The thing that interests me if if I go for a copper rather than brass contacts.
    If the current only flows in the plating of the connector, then I see little point, but surely the conductor comes into it.
    However, I am not going to spend €60 per plug.
    I am looking for a happy medium.

Failing that, I will fit the Neutrik silver plated connectors, and forget about this subject, for a while.
    After all, Neutrik are used in the Studio, so what more will we gain at home with a fancy connector?
    Kevin

I'm Kevin.

EMT 2111 is not a cable I have used before. I believe this is now in “reprint” as the GAC2111?
    Neumann IC3 is another I have not tried.

I have tried VD XKE and Klotz MC5000 on balanced leads, a few years ago.
    Neotech NEI 3004, Elecaudio SC-221-OCC and Furutech FA-220 are sat in my cable box, currently with RCA connectors on the end of them. Will they sound any different? Who knows.
    Kevin

I'm openingabottleofwine.

The connector used will come into it, but if a reasonable conducting metal is used, the effect is negligible.

Assume the length of the connection of a mated XLR pair is 2cm, and the pin diameter of an XLR connector is 2.25mm, then the resistance of this short length of conductor is:

Copper: 89μΩ

Brass: 352μΩ

Therefore the difference for one pole of the mated pair is 253μΩ, or for both the poles of a mated balanced-line connector pair is 526μΩ, or 0.5mΩ.

Of the cables you cite, I can only find information for one of them; the Furutech. This has a conductor resistivity of 13.2mΩ per metre, so for the two conductors of a balanced pair, 26.4mΩ per metre. This means the above calculated difference in connector resistance, represents a difference in cable length of 38mm.
    Barry

I'm Dennis.

Where did you get that Ohm symbol from? On a PC?

I'm Kevin.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    The connector used will come into it, but if a reasonable conducting metal is used, the effect is negligible.

Assume the length of the connection of a mated XLR pair is 2cm, and the pin diameter of an XLR connector is 2.25mm, then the resistance of this short length of conductor is:

Copper: 89μΩ

Brass: 352μΩ

Therefore the difference for one pole of the mated pair is 253μΩ, or for both the poles of a mated balanced-line connector pair is 526μΩ, or 0.5mΩ.

Of the cables you cite, I can only find information for one of them; the Furutech. This has a conductor resistivity of 13.2mΩ per metre, so for the two conductors of a balanced pair, 26.4mΩ per metre. This means the above calculated difference in connector resistance, represents a difference in cable length of 38mm.
    Thanks Barry. I will save my pennies then.
    The Elecaudio will probably be my cable of choice, as it has a PTFE insulation on the conductors.
    I may try one of each, but I expect differences to be negligible.
    Kevin

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast