+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Has anybody tried different XLR plugs (pin material related)?

I'm Grant.

Quote Originally Posted by Pharos View Post
    Where did you get that Ohm symbol from? On a PC?
    used to be alt 234 on num locked keypad. but its not on mine now. dunno if its the format on this site
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm openingabottleofwine.

My EMT cable was obtained from the US, as was the Neumann cable. I believe that the EMT cable is now being 're-made' by Gotham in the US (not sure if Gotham make it in Switzerland.)

Just noticed your Furutech cable is FA-220, now discontinued, but claims to have a conductor resistance of < 10mΩ per metre. This will change the equivalent change in cable length to 50mm - still not a great amount.

As I have said I like to make up my own cables, for several reasons: I can have control over the quality and neatness of the soldering, and I like to make the cables no longer than they need be. Between sources and the preamp, the cable lengths are 0.5m.

I also like to use cable that is supple and flexible, so usually cable that is used with microphones. The only exception is the EMT, which despite being of narrow diameter is a bit 'springy'. Of other cables I have tried are:

Mogami 'star quad' cable (forget the type)
    Mogami microphone cable
    Mogami low-noise cable
    Klotz MC5000
    Gotham GAC-2
    Sommer CarboKab 225
    Van Damme XKE

and

Belden 8402

I like them all, with the possible exception of the Sommer and the Belden, both of which are a little thick and unwieldy.

But the point is, when using balanced-line connections, the audible differences claimed between conductor type and construction and of the dielectric insulation cladding, is minimised. I believe this to be due to the complete separation between the signal 'ground' and that of the mains safety ground - thus any circulating mains-bourne noise does not enter the signal path.
    Last edited by Barry; 03-03-2022 at 12:44.
    Barry

I'm Josie.

I've tried standard, silver and gold. To be totally honest... no. I didn't notice anything. So I went with standard Neutrik ones but with decent cable. Cable makes more of a difference though but even then, not by much. On the other hand, I do think different types of RCA plugs and cable have a much bigger impact.

With XLR I prefer the star quad cable.
    Ultrafide U500DC power amplifier - Croft Vitale )highly modified) - TRIO L-07D Turntable - Denon DL103C1 - Funk Firm Houdini - Lentek MC head amp - 15" Tannoy Monitor Gold Loudspeakers in Lockwood Major cabinets (From Trident Studios) - Tannoyista SPEC 3 Custom Crossovers - VanDamme Black Speaker Cable

Tannoyista.com
    - Audio Equipment Reviews
    Facebook

I'm Kevin.

Thanks for the input.

I have not tried a star quad, as I have read that they are good for noisy environments, and long cable lengths. I don’t think that matters in my system. However if I find a reasonable one I may give it a go.

Like Barry, I make my own cables so I can build the cable the length I need, rather than having a cable which is far too long.
    Kevin

Too busy enjoying the music....

European loan coordinator for Graham Slee HiFi system components..

I'm Josie.

Yep, you should give Starquad cable a go... I thought the same as you but found it very surprising.
    Ultrafide U500DC power amplifier - Croft Vitale )highly modified) - TRIO L-07D Turntable - Denon DL103C1 - Funk Firm Houdini - Lentek MC head amp - 15" Tannoy Monitor Gold Loudspeakers in Lockwood Major cabinets (From Trident Studios) - Tannoyista SPEC 3 Custom Crossovers - VanDamme Black Speaker Cable

Tannoyista.com
    - Audio Equipment Reviews
    Facebook

I'm Kevin.

The Elecaudio SC-221-OCC has been soldered to the silver plated Neutrik XLR connectors.
    Sounds fine.

Job done.
    Kevin

I'm Kevin.

I tried the Mogami 2549.
    It almost sounds broken in comparison to the Elecaudio OCC.
    Definitely sticking with the Elecaudio.

I wanted to try the Furutech, but it won’t fit the plugs.
    Kevin

I'm Kevin.

More time spent this morning with the OCC cables.
    If you are still using the Mogami, you owe it to yourself to try the Elecaudio cable. Less than €20/m. In terms of an upgrade, it is a veritable bargain.
    Kevin

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12