+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Denon DL-103R SUT recommendations

I'm Horacio.

Default Denon DL-103R SUT recommendations

Hello Chaps,

I would like to hear from DL-103R owners that have successfully found the perfect SUT for this cartridge. I did read Marco's post from 2012 but ten years have passed and there must be something new.

Cheers,
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by F575M; 28-02-2022 at 15:39.

I'm Stephen.

Quote Originally Posted by F575M View Post
    Hello Chaps,

I would like to hear from DL-103R owners that have successfully found the perfect SUT for this cartridge. I did read Marco's post from 2012 but ten years have passed and there must be something new.

Cheers,
    Of all the many and various SUT's I have personally tried with my ParadoxPulse 103R the Denon AU-S1 was by far the best. Having said that in my system it was bettered by a Tom Evans Microgroove + and latterly by a Firebottle Vivant phonostage.

YMMV
    Always a little further

I'm openingabottleofwine.

The Denon AU320 is an obvious choice, and I am sure there are several suitable offering from Audio Technika, Ortofon and Fidelity Research.

Lundahl make some good transformers, but these are circuit components - you would have to fit them into a housing complete with input and output connectors. I would recommend the LL1931 and wire it to provide a step-up ratio of x16, which with the Denon 103R, will give an output of about 4mV. Assuming the input impedance of your preamp is 47k, the 103R will be presented with a load of 184 Ohms. If you find this a little too high, you can reduce it by wiring resistors across the secondary winding (For example: wiring a 150K resistor in parallel with secondary winding, will reduce the impedance as seen by the cartridge to 140 Ohm.)

If you want an extremely versatile and very good quality SUT, then I would recommend the Miyjima ETRS Stereo transformer. https://www.miyajima-lab.com/etr-stereo.html

With this SUT you have complete control of both the primary and secondary transformer windings, as well as the input impedance and capacitance. However the settings required to achieve a desired specification are not obvious - it is not a 'plug and play' device. Also it is very expensive; at around £2,500.
    Barry

I'm Lee.

I tried quite a few SUT over the years with the 103 and in the end the one that seemed to work the best was the Denon AU320, the added bonus with this SUT is that you can put 2 tonearm cables into the back of it and select between the 2 arms should the need arise. Its also got a 3ohm switch which worked really well with an Audio technica MC cart and a pass through facility for when you want to use a MM cart.

They are quite rare second hand over here but seem to be available in the far east

https://www.ebay.com/p/1856965640

Lee
    Vinyl rig 1 - NAS Spacedeck / FR64s / Lab 12 Melto / Denon SUT / Ortofon GM SPU. Vinyl rig 2 Mono Set Up - Lenco GL75 c/w Jelco 750D / AT33 Mono / EAR 834P Modded. Amplifiers - Audio Note Empress Silver / Hattor Passive Pre. Digital - Fanless Mini PC / Lampizator TRP / Linear PSU / Hummingboard Network audio adaptor. Speakers - Horns.pl Mummy's. Cables are Audio Note / Albedo / Furutech Speaker wire. Power conditioner is a Gigawatt PC2 EVO

I'm Josie.

I use a Lentek with my DL103C1... Very, very good indeed.

I've tried the Denon AU210 I think it's called... very nice but the Lentek is way better.
    Ultrafide U500DC power amplifier - Croft Vitale )highly modified) - TRIO L-07D Turntable - Denon DL103C1 - Funk Firm Houdini - Lentek MC head amp - 15" Tannoy Monitor Gold Loudspeakers in Lockwood Major cabinets (From Trident Studios) - Tannoyista SPEC 3 Custom Crossovers - VanDamme Black Speaker Cable

Tannoyista.com
    - Audio Equipment Reviews
    Facebook

I'm Syed.

Denon actually made a SUT specifically for the 103R cartridge called the AU-103.

I'm Peter.

I happen to have a Denon AU-320 sitting unused that I'd be willing to move on for a reasonable price... Make me an offer if its of interest.?
    Its not a big thing but helps Mrs T think I'm still clearing stuff out.!

(On the bay they go from £200-£300+ but are all in Japan or US so postage and import fees add up.)

Sent using Tapatalk
    Pete

Micro Seiki DD40/MA505/Denon DL304
    Musical Fidelity MX-VYNL
    Musical Fidelity X-A200R
    ATC scm11

I'm Russell.

Default Dl103r SUT.

Hi. I bought a ROTHWELL mc1for my 103r. Mine measures 0.31 and the rothwell is good for 0.3 minimum. Connected to my mm valve preamp, it's very good. I bought new because I didn't want something decades old shipped from Japan. £280. Recommended.

I'm Ian.

Presently using a Firebottle OTP loaded 100ohms and very pleased with the results.

I'm Horacio.

Well, I was not happy with the sound of my deck set up, sold my 3009, Denon DL-103D and Auditorium 23 SUT.

After a long discussion with Angus - Phonomac - I decided to go with the PM Mk6 tonearm and the AT33PTG/II cartridge. Per Angus recommendation I bought a Denon HA-500 head amp. Angus upgrades it with new caps and other things but I’ll have to send it to a chap in the States because shipping charges are prohibitive. For example, a 4x4, ½" plywood armboard that weighs less than 150 grams costs £45 plus UK import fees, ridiculous. Everything will come ready to dump the arm in the armboard hole and adjust the height. Angus will install the cartridge, adjust VTF, etc, etc. It will be a big improvement over my previous set up.

He rebuilt two arms for me years ago and we have very similar music tastes. So I trust him with complete confidence.

Cheers and thanks for the suggestions.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast