+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: IPL Acoustics S5TL

I'm inthescottishmafia.

Quote Originally Posted by Boyse6748 View Post
    As you may already know, or not. I have had and built these speakers (as supplied) and I can confirm, they are indeed superb, as supplied. ( I wish I hadn’t sold them) a speaker I wish I still owned.

As usual, a top class job, and the benefit of external crossovers.

All I can say is ENJOY

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Cheers Peter, I shall. :-)
    “Music has always been a matter of energy to me, a question of fuel. Sentimental people call it inspiration, but what they really mean is fuel. I have always needed fuel. I am a serious consumer. On some nights I still believe that a car with the gas needle on empty can run about fifty more miles if you have the right music very loud on the radio”

Hunter S Thompson

I'm Jerry.

Sadly, IPL Acoustics are no longer trading as Ivan has retired. I still have mine and think they are a fine pair of speakers.
    Ali, the finish on your speakers looks superb. I suppose Colin removed the veneer before applying new, is that right? Mine are probably similar in terms of finish.
    Jerry
    Hifi: IPL transmission line floorstanding speakers, Squeezebox Touch, Denafrips Ares 11 DAC, DCB1 Pre-amplifier, Croft Series 7 power amp.
    Custom Hifi cables HA10SE headphone amplifier and Hifiman HE-400 headphones.
    AV system: LG 55B7, Denon AVR -x2300w receiver, Quad 12L (front) 11c Centre and 11L rear . Velodyne DD15 subwoofer.

I'm inthescottishmafia.

Jerry yes that’s correct, then he rounded off the front edges so that the veneer wraps in one piece horizontally from one back corner to the other. Makes for a more seamless look.

For anyone interested, the veneer is Decoflex crown-cut Oak. You can see a pair of Colin’s speakers behind mine in the same veneer that are three years old and still look good as new, so it’s a good quality veneer that I know is durable.
    “Music has always been a matter of energy to me, a question of fuel. Sentimental people call it inspiration, but what they really mean is fuel. I have always needed fuel. I am a serious consumer. On some nights I still believe that a car with the gas needle on empty can run about fifty more miles if you have the right music very loud on the radio”

Hunter S Thompson

I'm inthescottishmafia.

Some more progress- matching external crossover boxes-

Hunter S Thompson

I'm Martin.

The tweeters look to be a bit low down, is that an issue?
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Peter.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    The tweeters look to be a bit low down, is that an issue?
    As said previously, I have built and owned these superb speakers, and high frequency imaging was not an issue. Even though the tweeter appears to be low.

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk

I'm inthescottishmafia.

I thought the same gents, I bought a set of 70’s short stands on castors, these bring the tweeters up to to the right height (big black bases came with the speakers and are part of the original design- sand filled)

Hunter S Thompson

I'm Martin.

looks ideal.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm inthescottishmafia.

Yeah does the job.

Hunter S Thompson

I'm inthescottishmafia.

Colin just sent some more photos of progress. Crossover boxes now complete and wired up-

Hunter S Thompson

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast