+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: pre built in phono stage vs external phono stage

I'm Lawrence.

Equally some more vinyl oriented makers put decent ones in eg. Rega and they can sometimes be switchable MM/MC, or MC by request.

Sent from my BKL-L09 using Tapatalk

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Quote Originally Posted by Lawrence001 View Post
    Equally some more vinyl oriented makers put decent ones in eg. Rega and they can sometimes be switchable MM/MC, or MC by request.

Sent from my BKL-L09 using Tapatalk
    Yes, I would expect those manufacturers of both turntables and amplifiers to do a good job with phonostages. I was referring to those manufacturers who only produce TTs and use a third-party phonostage, largely as an afterthought.
    Barry

I'm Simon.

Surely this depends on the 'quality' of the phono stage and not whether it is built in ? You can get a very cheap integrated which has a crappy built in stage or an EAR 912 ! they are both integrated stages but vastly different in the quality.

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by SiT4 View Post
    Surely this depends on the 'quality' of the phono stage and not whether it is built in ? You can get a very cheap integrated which has a crappy built in stage or an EAR 912 ! they are both integrated stages but vastly different in the quality.
    Yes. You tend to get what you pay for. I don't think being built in or separate has much relevance in quality terms. Built in can be convenient, but less versatile, as it can be nice to hang onto a decent separate phono stage when upgrading amplifiers.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Martin.

If it's separate then it will have its own power supply instead of sharing the one in the amplifier. That can make a difference especially for noise.

Depends how serious you are about using vinyl.

Having said that there are a lot of quite pricey separate stages which are no better than the one you get in a decent integrated amp or a pre-amplifier. Buyer beware.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12