+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: pre built in phono stage vs external phono stage

I'm Nuno.

Default pre built in phono stage vs external phono stage

Hi all,
    I´ve bought a Rega Brio recently with a built in phono stage, as you know. I wonder if an external phono stage is better, or no?I have the Fono MM K 3 that i was using with the Densen, but I may sell it.

I'm Geoff.

A good phono stage is good whether built in or separate. It could be argued that an external stage may be less prone to hum from the amplifier mains transformer, but then it may be more likely to pick up noise from the cables. You take your pick I guess.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Nuno.

I'm Mike.

Built in every time, who wants more freakin boxes? I've just taken the Graham slee outa my system, now 1210 going straight into valve amp, so far can;t tell teh difference, except perhaps more detail. I mean at a basic level, you got turntable cable going straight into amp so not having to go through phono stage, and then back out more cables into main amp, makes sense some info might get lost.
    Current system 1210 GR. CDP - Meridian G08. Amp -Sugden A21I - Sig. Wharfedale Lintons.

I'm Kevin.

It all depends on the phono stages you have available in either built in or external form.
    Let your ears decide, but if your information is getting lost, then there is something seriously wrong.
    Kevin

Too busy enjoying the music....

European loan coordinator for Graham Slee HiFi system components..

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by CageyH View Post
    It all depends on the phono stages you have available in either built in or external form.
    Let your ears decide, but if your information is getting lost, then there is something seriously wrong.
    I agree with Kevin.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Dave.

It depends entirely on how good the internal and external phono stages are. Rega make great phono stages and I've often compared their built in jobbies against expensive external stages and preferred the Rega internal.

I'm Nuno.

I´m keeping the built in phono. Less boxes, and sounds pretty well.

I'm openingabottleofwine.

With current amplifiers often lacking a phonostage, turntables these days now come fitted with one. These 'internal' phonostages are often poorly built, because they are out of sight of the purchaser.
    Barry

I'm mike.

Most built in seem to be for MM, I know it's another box but it does give you the option to use/try a MC cart if you felt so incline in the future
    'If you can keep your head when all about you are losing theirs, you obviously don't fully understand the situation!'

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast