+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Worth the hassle changing tonearm on a 1210.

I'm Mike.

Been using the stock arm with the Shure cart for a couple of weeks in this new flat, also took out the Slee era v stage as the S500 has its own phono stage and all seems fine. In fact overall sound is better in this flat, room is about same size but with significantly higher ceilings, not bad at all. Just need to get some new cart sorted. Think the nag might be too lush for this new set up, need something more neutral and dynamic maybe. Upto £300, MM only.
    Current system 1210 GR. CDP - Meridian G08. Amp -Sugden A21I - Sig. Wharfedale Lintons.

I'm Martin.

Audio Technica or Ortofon.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    Audio Technica or Ortofon.
    I've had a couple of 2M blue actually, they were decent.
    Current system 1210 GR. CDP - Meridian G08. Amp -Sugden A21I - Sig. Wharfedale Lintons.

I'm Martin.

all cartridges these days should be at least decent. Personally I'd keep the Nag and get rid of the 'lushness' by change the speakers and amp.
    Current Lash Up:

I'm Ian.

Jelco arms are fetching strong money if you decide to move it on. Considering selling mine and sticking the Techno arm i can't sell back on my 'techie'.

I'm Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    all cartridges these days should be at least decent. Personally I'd keep the Nag and get rid of the 'lushness' by change the speakers and amp.
    Yeh, I'm about ready to try a solid state amp again actually.

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Mikeandvan View Post
    Yeh, I'm about ready to try a solid state amp again actually.
    What have you got in mind?
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    What have you got in mind?
    Was thinking Sugden a21a, seem to sell around 500+ mark, so not too spendy. Speaker wise I don't know, stand mounts or small floorstanders. I just want a speaker which is neutral, the Audio Note's I have now, don't seem made for all types of music, though are very pleasing with jazz, so much that they dictate the music I select. I played Scott Walker '4' last night and it was mushy as hell, no good at all. I've also had 2 types of Spendor in the past, and I found them very strange indeed, a small reedy sound, lasted about a day then were booted out. So just a normal speaker really, whilst trying to avoid anything with a fame for harshness or any other 'ness'!

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Mikeandvan View Post
    Was thinking Sugden a21a
    Should be nice.

Speakers are hard to choose, maybe something with a good ribbon tweeter might work.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Martin.

Old Wharfedales for me usually manage to get a good blend of being easy to listen to without losing too much clarity.

Old KEF also worth considering, usually technically very good but with a warm balance, maybe not into the 1990s but you could look at something from the 1980s 'C' series

Lot of reviews of them here http://www.hifi-review.com/series/kef-c-series.html

Just trying to think of something that would suit you from all you've said. The KEFs would work fine with your AI or with a Sugden and they're not 'on the radar' so you can still get them cheap.
    Current Lash Up:

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast