+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Worth the hassle changing tonearm on a 1210.

I'm Mike.

Default Worth the hassle changing tonearm on a 1210.

Had this rather lovely 1210 newer model. Gr or whatever uts called for 1 or 2 yes now. It came with jello tonearm board and I happen to have a 750 arm, is it worth the hassle swapping it out? The TT as it is sounds OK to me. Currently using a cart which missing Marco sold me. Sc35c. I have a nagsoka mp200 replacement styli but no cart body! Don't really wanna spend another bloody 350 on a mp200 just to get the body. I had the jello on there before but thar was 1 ir 2 years ago. I don't remember whether it was any better or how well I got it set up. One thing for sure. I love the 1210s. Usability is outstanding. Just moved flats as well a d listening room/lounge seems acoustically better. Higher ceiling. Liste I g now loads of detail. Not bad for a cheap cart. Something tells me movi g to the jello arm will make fuck all difference but I could be wrong ! If anyone's got zn unused mp200 lying around give us it!
    Currently using Flickr mobileb and unable to post pics direct. But links work well. For me a yay!

https://flic.kr/p/2n2pdCW

https://flic.kr/p/2n2o1Av

https://flic.kr/p/2n2qX6v
    Current system 1210 GR. CDP - Meridian G08. Amp -Sugden A21I - Sig. Wharfedale Lintons.

I'm Kevin.

In my experience, yes, but it depends on the arm and the cartridge and how well they work together.
    Kevin

Too busy enjoying the music....

European loan coordinator for Graham Slee HiFi system components..

I'm Adrian.

Hi Mike,

Hope you are keeping well. IMO and experience for what it's worth changing to the Jelco 750 is likely to be worth doing, if it will work with the SC35C, you are likely to find you will get more detail and better definition, but take care setting it up, for Tracking, VTA, etc. Jelco arms are very good, and often overlooked, I used to have one and it was great.

I have also found that if you want better detail, soundstage and separation then going for a better cartridge that works with your arm, the Jelco, is often the next step, either a top notch MM or a good MC like a HANA, Benz Micro or Ortofon, but a MC will also mean a phono stage or step up transformer so yet more cost.
    Listening is the act of aural discrimination and dissemination of sound, and accepting you get it wrong sometimes.

Analog Inputs: Pro-Ject Signature 10 TT & arm, Benz Micro LP-S, Michel Cusis MC, Goldring 2500 and Ortofon Rondo Blue cartridges, Hitachi FT5500 mk2 Tuner

Digital:- Marantz SA-KI Pearl CD player, RaspberryPi/HifiBerry Digi+ Pro, Buffalo NAS Drive

Amplification:- AudioValve Sunilda phono stage, Krell KSP-7B pre-amp, Krell KSA-80 power amp

Output: Wilson Benesch Vector speakers, KLH Ultimate One Headphones

Cables: Tellurium Q Ultra Black II RCA & Chord Epic 2 RCA, various speaker leads, & links

I think I am nearing audio nirvana, but don’t tell anyone.

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Whilst I do not have any experience of either the Technics 1210 arm or of the Jelco 750D arm, the mechanical characteristics of the two arms are similar.

The effective mass for the Technics arm is 12.0g, and for the Jelco arm it is 13.48g. Not much different. But you are using a Shure SC35C, having a (static) compliance of 5cu and a mass of 6.2g. So when mounted in either arm the arm/cartridge resonant frequency will be high (~ 23Hz with the Technics arm, and ~22.5Hz with the Jelco arm). Both of these figures are too high. Ideally they should be no more than 14 Hz. To achieve this you ought to add some mass to the headshell.

However if you are happy with the Shure mounted in the Technics arm then leave things as they are.
    Barry

I'm Peter.

Just a thought... If you fit the JELCO...

I have a Hana SH spare that I could sent you to try out, just to test the water so to speak.

It's a High output MC, so could work with what you've already got.

Sent using Tapatalk
    Pete

Micro Seiki DD40/MA505/Denon DL304
    Musical Fidelity MX-VYNL
    Musical Fidelity X-A200R
    ATC scm11

I'm Mike.

Thanks to all replies. I'm using the Shure with added weight. Was also thinking of the high output hans cart. Seems popular. No longer have a mc stage so oy interested in mm or high output mcs. Would like to fig my nag mp200 again though. Wonder can I use the styli with the cheaper mo range?
    Current system 1210 GR. CDP - Meridian G08. Amp -Sugden A21I - Sig. Wharfedale Lintons.

I'm Mike.

Thanks Pete. But you shouldn't trust me with your carts!

I'm Peter.

Quote Originally Posted by Mikeandvan View Post
    Thanks Pete. But you shouldn't trust me with your carts!
    It's an offer, still stands if you want to try one, and I'm also in Brighton, so no postage.!

Sent using Tapatalk
    Pete

Micro Seiki DD40/MA505/Denon DL304
    Musical Fidelity MX-VYNL
    Musical Fidelity X-A200R
    ATC scm11

I'm Geoff.

If you fancy doing it for the way it will look. Go for it!

But I do agree with Barry. I can't see that there'd be much gain sonically.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    Whilst I do not have any experience of either the Technics 1210 arm or of the Jelco 750D arm, the mechanical characteristics of the two arms are similar.

The effective mass for the Technics arm is 12.0g, and for the Jelco arm it is 13.48g. Not much different. But you are using a Shure SC35C, having a (static) compliance of 5cu and a mass of 6.2g. So when mounted in either arm the arm/cartridge resonant frequency will be high (~ 23Hz with the Technics arm, and ~22.5Hz with the Jelco arm). Both of these figures are too high. Ideally they should be no more than 14 Hz. To achieve this you ought to add some mass to the headshell.

However if you are happy with the Shure mounted in the Technics arm then leave things as they are.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by PeteT View Post
    It's an offer, still stands if you want to try one, and I'm also in Brighton, so no postage.!

Sent using Tapatalk
    Yay, finally a hifi buddy!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast