+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: My First Byte Of The Pi

I'm Rob.

Default My First Byte Of The Pi

I have partially got an RPi board semi running over the last few days. I've only had it about 5 years and thought it was about time. I won't bore you with the dead ends and re-formatting the SD card many times. I have got to the point where I have it working and I now need to get it to stream through the Dac Hat.

I have tried flashing Volumio to the SD card in the same way that I installed the RPi installer i.e on my laptop. This results in the RPi booting up, opening Volumio and then freezing. It won't then do anything else. Should I be using the RPi to install Volumio?

Thanks.
    Last edited by Puffin; 06-02-2022 at 18:32.
    Buy Bose...And get your parking validated!.

https://youtu.be/ZCBe7-6rw4M

No Highs...No Lows....It Must Be Bose!

I'm Gary.

Hi Rob,

Not a Pi user,
    but just wanted to say, Here's to being always playing around with Cool stuff.

It's never not Fun.

Slange Var.
    AC POWER
    Hardwired 10kVA balanced mains powering entire system
    AMPS
    Meridian 557 power Amp (Modded) / PS Audio BHK Preamp (Modded)
    SPEAKERS
    Wharfedale Evo 4.4
    DAC
    PS Audio Directstream (Modded)
    TURNTABLE
    Pro-Ject X8 balanced output via XLR / Ortofon Quintet Blue cartridge
    PHONOSTAGE
    Pro-Ject DS3 B balanced Input (TT and Phonostage powered by Pro-Ject Power box RS2 linear psu)
    DIGITAL
    OPPO 203 (Modded: Linear PSU, i2s output to Dac) - Roon Endpoint, HDMI input used for all things Streaming/ PS5 /AppleTV ... also good for movies apparently?
    MUSIC PLAYBACK
    Tweaked AP-Linux based Roon Server into Oppo 203 as Roon endpoint
    Ipad Roon Remote.
    Apple Music/ YouTube via AppleTV, fed to Dac via Oppo HDMI input/i2s output to Dac.
    SPEAKER CABLES
    Biwired: Duelund DCA10GA (Bass) Duelund DCA16GA (mid & treble) Duelund 12DCA used as jumpers (On
    "Blackcat Cable" Chris Sommivigo's advice - yup, even with biwire it sounds better - and it does)
    INTERCONNECTS
    All Balanced: Ghost+ recording studio XLR cables

I'm Grant.

im out of date with pi now rob, but you used to put the volumio onto a sd via pc and a couple of programs. the formatting of card should be done with a dedicated sd format program...or did.

sure a up to date guy will come and help you. my rpi3/ and hat(fancy thing that cost a bomb lol) hasnt been used for an age. im a roon by now and laptops/headphones only now
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Rob.

Quote Originally Posted by Gazjam View Post
    Hi Rob,

Not a Pi user,
    but just wanted to say, Here's to being always playing around with Cool stuff.

It's never not Fun.

Slange Var.
    You're not wrong there Gaz. I keep thinking that I have enough stuff and ways to listen to the same tracks, but that git on your shoulder always drags me back!

I'm Rob.

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    im out of date with pi now rob, but you used to put the volumio onto a sd via pc and a couple of programs. the formatting of card should be done with a dedicated sd format program...or did.

sure a up to date guy will come and help you. my rpi3/ and hat(fancy thing that cost a bomb lol) hasnt been used for an age. im a roon by now and laptops/headphones only now
    You are right Grant. I have done all the formatting and faffing and need to get over the last hurdle.

I'm Andrew.

Can I suggest that you download and use Moode Audio . The way through this is to first format your SD card using the approved SD formatter

https://www.sdcard.org/downloads/formatter/

Then go to Moode Audio and download the latest software to you PC as a Zip file .

https://www.moodeaudio.org/

Download Balena Etcher on to your PC

https://www.balena.io/etcher/

Open this with your SD card attached to the PC . Choose the Mood Audio download file you do not need to unzip the file . Then choose the SD card as destination and flash the card . Balena will do the rest and unmount the SD when finished so you can just remove it from the reader and insert in the Pi .

Now you have to be a little patient to let the Moode distro load and complete . For the initial set up make sure the Pi has a wired ethernet connection . The next thing that needs to be done is to find the IP address or open the moode audio player page . The following official guide has a few ways of doing it . I also use a download of https://www.advanced-ip-scanner.com/ which when you search your net work there will be a line with Moode Audio showing and also that it is a Pi . Jot the Ip address down in case you forget .

Then and yes I know this seems like lots of work but in truth you only do this once to set up then just play things so a little time spent here is well worth it . Once you get to the Moode Audio page in the top right corner is a small m click on this and the set up page shows up . First thing to do is click the audio tab . In the top drop down bar you need to look for the digi hat you have on the Pi and choose it and then click set . This will now get a bit tedious but after each major change you need to do a restart and then wait for the page to come back with your new settings . If you reload too quickly you will get a bad gateway page just reload the page and it will go back .

After this it is then up to you if you want to leave the settings as they are or make changes . I do not use the MDP as my set up is based on Logitech Media Server so I use Squeezeplay . If you are just using MDP then there are edits you can do by clicking on the EDIT in the MDP section .

The only additional thing I would do is under the System Tab scroll down until you find the SCP addition turn this on and hit the start SCP this will open a new page and you will see a cursor at the top Type pi then return and for password type moodeaudio and return .

This will then go to another cursor type sudo apt update then return it will gather all the Pi updates . When it finishes it will say there are a number x to be uo dated this first time it likely to be 200 + Now type after the cursor sudo apt upgrade . This will compile all the changes and then ask do you want to install them y/n hit yes and get a cup of tea as it will take few minutes at least to update . Once this is done your pi is set and you will be able to play music through the DAC hat as a digital output . I would suggest that about once a month you do the above SCP routine which will keep your Pi software up to date .

I'm Rob.

Andrew, thank you very much for taking the time to write all of the above. Since I first posted I have been reading a lot and now have a little more insight into this than before. I have been told that I should open Volumio on an Android device which would be the control for the app and use that to link to the Pi. However what I now know is that my Pi2 ( Pi 2 v1.1) does not have Wifi installed so am I wasting my time attempting to install either Volumio or Moode?

I have been reading about how to add a Wifi Dongle to the Pi, but this looks a bit daunting to a numbskull like me and I wonder if I should get a newer version of the Pi?

Rob.

I'm Adrian.

Quote Originally Posted by Puffin View Post
    Andrew, thank you very much for taking the time to write all of the above. Since I first posted I have been reading a lot and now have a little more insight into this than before. I have been told that I should open Volumio on an Android device which would be the control for the app and use that to link to the Pi. However what I now know is that my Pi2 ( Pi 2 v1.1) does not have Wifi installed so am I wasting my time attempting to install either Volumio or Moode?

I have been reading about how to add a Wifi Dongle to the Pi, but this looks a bit daunting to a numbskull like me and I wonder if I should get a newer version of the Pi?

Rob.
    Hi Rob

For a simple solution you could try this, https://www.amazon.co.uk/VIOY-seasid...s%2C52&sr=8-21

you plug one in next to your ADSL/Router and connect it up by ethernet cable, and then plug the other in to a socket(not on an extension lead) near the RPI and then connect both by ethernet cable, you will then have internet connectivity to the RPI and will be able to see it on the network with Volumio. It is not an ideal solution and purists will say that ethernet over mains cable is crap, but actually it is not that bad.

Alternatively run a long ethernet cable from the ADSL router to the RPI you can go up to 30m, Cat5 ethernet cable is fine. and cheap.

Cheers

Adrian
    Listening is the act of aural discrimination and dissemination of sound, and accepting you get it wrong sometimes.

Analog Inputs: Pro-Ject Signature 10 TT & arm, Benz Micro LP-S, Michel Cusis MC, Goldring 2500 and Ortofon Rondo Blue cartridges, Hitachi FT5500 mk2 Tuner

Digital:- Marantz SA-KI Pearl CD player, RaspberryPi/HifiBerry Digi+ Pro, Buffalo NAS Drive

Amplification:- AudioValve Sunilda phono stage, Krell KSP-7B pre-amp, Krell KSA-80 power amp

Output: Wilson Benesch Vector speakers, KLH Ultimate One Headphones

Cables: Tellurium Q Ultra Black II RCA & Chord Epic 2 RCA, various speaker leads, & links

I think I am nearing audio nirvana, but don’t tell anyone.

I'm Rob.

Hi Adrian, Thanks for your input. I wonder if I really need to get the Pi going. It was either a Birthday or Christmas present from my son-in-law some years ago and I thought I ought to show some gratitiude

It is only recently that I started streaming Spotify as my son gave me his old PC and I get it to the Dac very simply by using a USB to Digital converter that I made years ago from a project in Elektor magazine. I thought that it would be good to compare SQ between the two, but now I am not so sure

I have read that you can buy Wifi USB dongles that I could add to the Pi2, which could assist, but this involves delving into the deep and terrifying world of coding and changing settings

Rob.

I'm Lawrence.

Where is your router located relative to your hifi (well DAC at least)?

Sent from my BKL-L09 using Tapatalk

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast