+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Horn Pondering.

I'm Lawrence.

Quote Originally Posted by bumpy View Post
    I have owned Lowther Acoustas, Lowther Medallions and Hedlund horns, do these qualify in what you are looking at. I have also had at home for evaluation Impulse H6s and Impulse H2s.

I think the drivers are at least as important as the cabinets.
    Absolutely. Do you remember the guy on eBay who used to put car speakers in transmission line cabinets and charge loads for them?

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Lawrence001 View Post
    Absolutely. Do you remember the guy on eBay who used to put car speakers in transmission line cabinets and charge loads for them?
    Car speakers may a good choice for situations that need a driver with decent self damping. I don't recall the seller though.

As far as I can see, car speakers are no better or worse than others, as long as you don't mind the usual 4 ohm impedance.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    Not sure why transmission lines are being brought up, since they're not the same thing
    Open ended TLs and BL horns both rely on the line length.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Martin.

I do, I think he used 4-way coaxial drivers intended for cars. Can't recall the make of them. The design was based on the Capel transmission line. You used to be able to buy the instructions to build it in those little books they would sell in electronics shops. Except Capel's design used a single driver, an EMI elliptical unit from memory.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Lawrence.

I thought it was this guy but he seems to use proper hifi drivers in these ones

http://www.claer.co.uk/complete/claer43peerlessfountek/

I'm Martin.

I thought it was this guy but he seems to use proper hifi drivers in these ones

http://www.claer.co.uk/complete/claer43peerlessfountek/
    Not the one I was thinking of. His speakers had a mahogany finish and the drivers were gold coloured. Might be the same bloke but he's moved on to different designs I suppose.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Lawrence.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    Not the one I was thinking of. His speakers had a mahogany finish and the drivers were gold coloured. Might be the same bloke but he's moved on to different designs I suppose.
    No you may be right, this guy might have used better drivers but in very unconventional cabinets.

I'm Rohan.

Is this the thing you're thinking of, chaps?

Sorry about the stupid image size.

I'm inthescottishmafia.

Yep that’s the chap.
    “Music has always been a matter of energy to me, a question of fuel. Sentimental people call it inspiration, but what they really mean is fuel. I have always needed fuel. I am a serious consumer. On some nights I still believe that a car with the gas needle on empty can run about fifty more miles if you have the right music very loud on the radio”

Hunter S Thompson

I'm Rohan.

Always wondered if anyone has actually heard a pair? The adverts are weird, seeming to promise very deep bass, and then in the next paragraph saying that the vass is not too audible and needs to be boosted.

To be fair bass is not touted as the raison d'etre of the speaker.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12