+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Horn Pondering.

I'm Geoff.

Default Horn Pondering.

Just mulling ideas over.

Has anybody got an idea if an eighth wavelength constant width back loaded folded horn speaker might work? I've built successful 1/4 wave units in the past.

I'm not referring to the Troels Gravesen types, which have a restricted exit and appear to work as some sort of acoustic column.

I know 1/8 wavelength transmission lines can work well enough.
    Last edited by walpurgis; 21-01-2022 at 19:26.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Shane.

Hope you are well, Geoff.

What amp are you currently using?

S.
    Shane Lonergan.

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by southall-1998_mk2 View Post
    Hope you are well, Geoff.

What amp are you currently using?

S.
    Hi Shane, I'm fine mate (relatively ).

I've got a variety of amps, but keep going back to the NAD 3130. Cheap but amazingly good.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Shane.

NAD has produced some great gear. Have fun!

S.
    Shane Lonergan.

I'm Lawrence.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    Just mulling ideas over.

Has anybody got an idea if an eighth wavelength constant width back loaded folded horn speaker might work? I've built successful 1/4 wave units in the past.

I'm not referring to the Troels Gravesen types, which have a restricted exit and appear to work as some sort of acoustic column.

I know 1/8 wavelength transmission lines can work well enough.
    With your B&W DM2a's

I'm not aware of the advantages of a quarter wave rear horn loading, is it a "thing"?

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Lawrence001 View Post
    I'm not aware of the advantages of a quarter wave rear horn loading, is it a "thing"?
    Back loaded quarter wave horns have been in use for a lifetime, as per Lowther. Bass dynamics with a BLH can be spectacular, if limited in depth.

I did ask about eighth wavelength. I think there may be something to it, the energy at the horn mouth is halved for each halving of line length, but as with eighth wavelength transmission lines, there is still a proportion of positive pulse.

Incidentally, IMF and PMC have made truncated transmission line speakers which appear to have line lengths as short as 1/16th wavelength.
    Last edited by walpurgis; 22-01-2022 at 09:21.

I'm Lawrence.

Those will be the bookshelf ones? I guess any length line may help to reduce potential phase issues of a simple port, quarter wave is just the ideal one.

I'm Geoff.

I suppose a half wavelength transmission line would be the ideal, but it would be enormous and would need a lot of internal damping to avoid a big bass hump.

(I'm just visualising the size it might need to be for 15 inch Tannoys )

I'm Martin.

I'm not keen on any type of horn-loading.

Not sure why transmission lines are being brought up, since they're not the same thing? Plus transmission line loudspeakers are rarely true transmission lines.

This is one of those 'If you want to go to Dublin I wouldn't start from here' situations

I've always thought best bass loading was a good big driver in a large sealed cab. Not optimal as nothing is but I reckon it is the best compromise.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Chris.

I have owned Lowther Acoustas, Lowther Medallions and Hedlund horns, do these qualify in what you are looking at. I have also had at home for evaluation Impulse H6s and Impulse H2s.

I think the drivers are at least as important as the cabinets.
    Last edited by bumpy; 22-01-2022 at 12:21.
    Source
    SW1X Universal Music Server UMS I Signature with Power Supply Unit PSU I Signature
    SW1X USB II
    SW1X DAC III Special
    Audiolab 6000 CDT transport
    Amps
    Pre amps -- Hi fi Collective twin mono ladder stepped attenuator, with Charcroft Z-foil and silver wired. And First Watt B1 active no gain buffer.
    Power amps -- Welborne 45 SET monoblocks 1.8W / Decware Taboo 6W / Elekit 300B TU-8600SVK plus further improved components 9W / ICE Power 1000W
    Speakers
    Highly modified Endorphin P17 open baffle speakers containing both vintage and modern alnico drivers and paper cones. All silver wired - 8" Cube Audio FC8 full range drivers and vintage 15" Altec VOTT 416 bass drivers. All sat on Townsend Audio Podium seismic isolation platforms.
    BK Electronics XLS400FF Sub.
    Cabling
    Silver mains cables, interconnects and speaker cables by SW1X
    Headphones
    HRT HeadStreamer and SennHeiser HD650 headphones

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast