+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Marantz 6025 belt drive turntable

I'm Stuart.

Default Marantz 6025 belt drive turntable

Despite knowing very little, I seem to have nominated myself to help one of my relatives sort out some issues with this turntable before deciding whether it’s in a good enough state to sell on.
    Recently, the tone arm has been skipping straight to the centre of the LP and at my suggestion, my step father has tried to rebalance the tone arm and readjust the anti skate. Apparently this ‘sorted’ the problem although he asked me to check it for him.
    First problem, I unpacked the TT this morning and noticed that stylus tip was missing and the cantilever bent. I suppose it could have been me responsible for this, perhaps not. Anyway, there is no way that I can test the TT without buying another stylus/cartridge which I’m not keen to do! It would be money straight down the drain for me. The stylus is an Ortofon VMS3E mounted on an old silver coloured cartridge (assumed Ortofon but not named). The previous replacement stylus cost £40 which is not a lot for a stylus but quite a lot when compared to the likely value of the TT itself.
    Second issue - the feet are rubber with captive spring. Problem - one is snapped and so the TT tilts. I’ve looked on line but can’t see anywhere I can buy a replacement.
    Bottom line. I’ve looked up the TT on vinyl engine . It’s clearly entry level Marantz from 1981. Only one review - not that means a lot.
    Any opinions on the following much appreciated;
    Is it worth ‘doing up’, buying a new stylus/cartridge, replacing the foot (where would I get one?) and selling as a working TT? Would you suggest we buy a like for like stylus or scrap it and start again with something like an AT 95?
    Would it be more sensible to try and get a few £s for it as is, selling as spares/repair?
    I guess what I’m hoping for is that someone has come across this TT before and has an opinion as to whether it really is worth doing up or so basic/entry level that it’s not worth the effort.
    Thanks

I'm Adam.

I've had one pass through my hands and its a decent enough deck but not worth spending any undue time or money on. If you want to get it working for sale, then cartridge-wise the best route you can go for is an Audio Technica AT-3600 from eBay which will set you back the princely sum of around £15 and performs far better than it has any right to.

On the foot front, you could do a lot worse than the good old squash balls cut in half trick!

As to value, anywhere between £25-60 I'd have thought. Mine went for £60-something if I remember rightly but it was a minter.
    Engineers: fixing problems you didn't know you had in ways you don't understand.

I'm Stuart.

Quote Originally Posted by Beobloke View Post
    I've had one pass through my hands and its a decent enough deck but not worth spending any undue time or money on. If you want to get it working for sale, then cartridge-wise the best route you can go for is an Audio Technica AT-3600 from eBay which will set you back the princely sum of around £15 and performs far better than it has any right to.

On the foot front, you could do a lot worse than the good old squash balls cut in half trick!

As to value, anywhere between £25-60 I'd have thought. Mine went for £60-something if I remember rightly but it was a minter.
    Thanks Adam.
    My step father is minded to try and sell it for spares now.
    As I am turntable-less at the moment, it crossed my mind briefly to put a slightly better cartridge on it and use it for a while. The problem in doing that is ‘for a while’ has a real risk of turning into 2/3 years.
    As the TT isn’t a ‘hidden gem’ of any description, I think I’m better off sorting myself properly now and buying something that will last without me constantly thinking it’s not good enough and being on the lookout for something better.
    Thanks for your thoughts.
    Stuart

+ Reply to Thread