+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Denon DCD-1600NE SACD/CD Player

I'm Grant.

Alpha processing was the world's first technical formula for reproducing 16-bit data in 20-bit quality.

The ALPHA processor interpolates the data recorded on the original CD so that the waveform is more natural. This will result in a more pure waveform that it is much closer to the CD digital signals without any processing. Originally introduced in 1990, the Alpha Processor was developed further to cover the change from standard resolution to high resolution music:
    AL32 Processing: Denon has further developed its proprietary AL32 Processing, an analog waveform reproduction technology, to support the 192 kHz sampling frequency. AL32 Processing, thoroughly suppresses quantization noise associated with D/A conversion to reproduce the low-level signals with optimum clarity that will bring out all the delicate nuances of the music.
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Geoff.

I've noticed that in electronic items that have been unused for a while, resistors can give off the kind of odour mentioned if they get warm. It's not a defect, it's a characteristic. Although, as Grant suggests, best to play safe.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm afesteringvinylphile.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    You can't upsample to a higher bit-rate. Sampling rate determines the highest frequency response possible, bit rate determines the highest amplitude possible. You'll struggle to find a recording that requires a bit rate higher than 16 and you would have to play it at very high levels in a very quiet room to have any chance of hearing the benefit.
    I probably could have said that clearer as I am aware of the difference between sampling rate and bit rate. Instead of just padding, it appears the Denon unit, as they say, adds data points and wizbangery bit squiggling (technical terms). I'm no digital audio engineer so I don't know how else to say that. However, allow me to illustrate thusly. There are two units in my system currently that work wonders with the soundstage (making it sound wider, taller, deeper and all those things that draw me "into" the recording). The first is the Tascam DV-RA1000HD. Aside from being able to record analog direct to 24/192 (and DSD), this recorder will rip CD's to the internal hard drive BUT only at 24/44.1. Playing back the resulting file, the expanded soundstage is noticeable. It's not hard to hear through speakers and is blatantly apparent in a pin-drop quiet house at 2 AM using planar cans. The second is the DCD-1600NE. Same thing. CD's played back on this unit just have better soundstage depth than any other CD player I have by a wide margin including old and "newer" units by Adcom, Marantz and Sony. The difference between the Tascam processing to 24/44.1 and the Denon AL32 Plus is naturalness. At 24/44.1 the Tascam rips still sounds like CD, just with a much better soundstage, if that makes sense. The Denon has the improved soundstage and squelches the rough edges of 44.1 without losing detail like my Marantz VC-6001 which just turns everything to mush with no change in soundstage.

I hear what you're saying (pun intended) but I've never had that difficult of a time differentiating between analog (reel tape or vinyl or high res drop of such) and CD through speakers, even from several feet away (at least in my system). The room seems to magnify the difference, really. At any rate, I'm comfortable not always knowing why there is a difference, just happy to be able to hear and appreciate the difference.
    Lyrics are the ramblings of man, sometimes inspired by The Creator, most often, not.
    But music (melodies, harmonies, rhythms), that's God stuff.
    Always was. Always will be.

One of the biggest lies ever told was that only certain kinds of people should listen to certain kinds of music.

(silent) VINYL LP SLIDESHOWS

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    Alpha processing was the world's first technical formula for reproducing 16-bit data in 20-bit quality.

The ALPHA processor interpolates the data recorded on the original CD so that the waveform is more natural. This will result in a more pure waveform that it is much closer to the CD digital signals without any processing. Originally introduced in 1990, the Alpha Processor was developed further to cover the change from standard resolution to high resolution music:
    AL32 Processing: Denon has further developed its proprietary AL32 Processing, an analog waveform reproduction technology, to support the 192 kHz sampling frequency. AL32 Processing, thoroughly suppresses quantization noise associated with D/A conversion to reproduce the low-level signals with optimum clarity that will bring out all the delicate nuances of the music.
    I've read reviews from folks who say they can hear a difference between AL32 Processing and AL32 Plus Processing (the DCD-A110 vs the DCD-1600NE) preferring AL32 Plus. I would imagine that would be somewhat disappointing for A110 owners as that machine is quite a bit more expensive than the 1600NE. But then again, maybe theirs doesn't smell like frying wires.
    Lyrics are the ramblings of man, sometimes inspired by The Creator, most often, not.

One of the biggest lies ever told was that only certain kinds of people should listen to certain kinds of music.

After another couple of days of the 1600NE causing my listening room to smell acrid, I phoned Accessories4Less. To make the story short, I will be packing up the unit and sending it back to them. I have asked them to fix it (if possible) before taking the option of exchanging it. There's no need to just pass it on to someone else so they can go through the same thing. We will see. We will also see how long it takes. Thankfully, I have other disc spinners. Unfortunately, none of them sound as "natural" as this one. Until it returns, I will miss it. A refund would be a last and sad option; hopefully not.

I'm Shaun.

For what it is worth, I own a Denon DCD2500NE SACD/CD player. I bought it new in 2020 making it almost two years old. It weighs a ton and is as solid as a rock. Sound wise it is as good as any unit I have ever owned with the SACD option being way better. I can't really comment on reliability as it is only two years old but it performs as any cd player should. I like it.

Default Update

United Radio in East Syracuse, NY now has my unit (received 2-23-2022)

I called just to follow up. (I have other disc spinners so I'm still pretty relaxed at this point, though I do miss its special thing it does with discs.)

What I thought would be just insulation melting off a wire, or a bad discreet component or two, is actually the necessity for the entire disc mechanism to be replaced. Currently, there is no ETA on when that part will arrive. It's only been a couple of weeks. Patience is a virtue.

At any rate, there it is, folks. I'm in a holding pattern.

I'm Martin.

At least they can get a mech for it.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

Default The disappointment continues

The player arrived back on Thursday without confirmation/follow up that the replacement mechanism had been installed. I am assuming it has been replaced for reasons I will now explain.

As outlined previously, although it smelled badly and fouled the air in the room it was in when it was on, this spinner played every kind of disc in every kind of format I threw at it...and I threw a bunch at it. No problem, just the smell.

NOW........ It is a player with an attitude. It doesn't like some of the CD-R's I played on it without issue prior to sending it in to United Radio for service. Now, it mistracks and plays some of them with static. Some of the same DVD-R's with data tracks now come up as "Unsupported" and won't play at all. They played fine before the unit went in for service.

And... I am not sure the cause of the smell has been eliminated.

This player has now gone through QA at least three times: 1) at Denon off the line 2) surely at Accessories4Less as a first time refurb and 3) just now serviced at United Radio/Syracuse, NY

If you have a good unit, you're golden (probably should knock on wood or something as they say). I am unimpressed. Unfortunately, I'm now in the camp of just return my money and take the unit. I know of more dependable solutions even if they are "multi-box" solutions. We will see how that call goes, tomorrow.

Default Round Two

I relented (for the moment).

I just received a different unit from Accessories4Less. The two actually crossed in shipping as I sent the initial unit back. This is the last attempt. It is almost annoying to me that the unit sounds good enough to go through all of this hassle. If the issues aren't solved with this unit, I am happy to send it back and call it quits.

I do have to say that Larry Beck at Accessories4Less is one of those guys you want to have around when issues like this come up. I have nothing but good things to say about his involvement in trying to secure a good unit for me. So, thank you, Larry. I hope this one gets it. We're on day two.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast