+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Garrard Turntable on The Repair Shop

  1. #1
    Join Date: Nov 2014

    Location: Birmingham

    Posts: 113
    I'm Michael.

    Default Garrard Turntable on The Repair Shop

    Hi All
    Did any one see the Garrard 4HF, I think, on The Repair Shop?
    It was left with Mark Stucky for sorting out.

  2. #2
    Join Date: Apr 2012

    Location: Southall, West London

    Posts: 48,333
    I'm Geoff.

    Default

    Nope.

    Wouldn't have minded seeing it, not that I intend to get a 4HF though .
    Conspiracy theories are only perpetuated because people go looking for them!

  3. #3
    Join Date: Feb 2020

    Location: Fife, Scotland

    Posts: 156
    I'm Gordon.

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mbic View Post
    Hi All
    Did any one see the Garrard 4HF, I think, on The Repair Shop?
    It was left with Mark Stucky for sorting out.
    Yep, watched that.

    I always think that some stuff is done (or missed) specifically for the sake of television, but in this case he smacks the platter with a hard faced hammed (), already stating that it's fitted on a 'spline' (?) and subsequently makes no mention whatsoever about the centre spindle and its support casting or the associated lubrication or thrust bearing.....

    Don't think I'd want him maintaining my 401 . . . .
    Technics SL1000R, DynavectorXV1t, Garrard 401, Jelco SA750LB, Decca Reference, ATVM750SH, AT33Mono, Hana Umami Red, Reimyo CDP777, EarYoshino 912, Ear Yoshino 509s, JBLK2 SL5800s, ART Dram interconnects / speaker cables.

  4. #4
    Join Date: Jun 2014

    Location: Chorley Lancs

    Posts: 9,835
    I'm Steve.

    Default

    I saw it too. I could see it said Garrard, but no idea which model. But it did look ancient. It clearly held some sentimental value, and looked ok when finished, but would I have that to play my records on? Not really.

    Owner was pleased that it still had its original "tone", so that's the main thing
    I just dropped in, to see what condition my condition was in

    T/T: Inspire Monarch, X200 tonearm, Ortofon 2M Black. Phono: Project Tube Box CD: Marantz CD6006 (UK Edition); Headphone/pre: Myryad Z40; Amp: Musical Fidelity A5 Integrated. Audion Silver Night 300b stereo is enjoying a holiday
    Speakers: Zu Omen Def. Cables: Atlas Equator interconnects, Atlas Hyper 3.0 speaker cables

    T'other system:
    Echo Dot, Amptastic Mini One,Celestion 5's, BK XLS-200 DF

    A/V:
    LG 55" OLED, Panasonic Blu Ray, Sony a/v amp, MA Radius speakers, REL Storm sub

    Forget the past, it's gone. And don't worry about the future, it doesn't exist. There is only NOW.

  5. #5
    Join Date: Nov 2014

    Location: Birmingham

    Posts: 113
    I'm Michael.

    Default

    I wouldn’t let him near my 401 either!

  6. #6
    Join Date: Jan 2014

    Location: Northants

    Posts: 266
    I'm Martin.

    Default Garrard Turntable on The Repair Shop

    Quote Originally Posted by WullieD20 View Post
    Yep, watched that.

    I always think that some stuff is done (or missed) specifically for the sake of television, but in this case he smacks the platter with a hard faced hammed (), already stating that it's fitted on a 'spline' (?) and subsequently makes no mention whatsoever about the centre spindle and its support casting or the associated lubrication or thrust bearing.....

    Don't think I'd want him maintaining my 401 . . . .
    Yes, and his treatment of the seized speed selector mechanism. Instead of dismantling it and inspecting it he just tried oiling it and working it side to side until it freed up. Bodger, Id not let him near anything of mine.

  7. #7
    Join Date: Jan 2009

    Location: Essex

    Posts: 26,726
    I'm openingabottleofwine.

    Default

    He smacked the spindle with a hammer, whilst pulling the platter up with a 'claw' he had made out of an old coathanger. That is what you have to do with a splined fit; especially if the two parts have not been separated for a long time. AFAIK the 'thrust bearing' on a 4HF is like that on the SP25: the platter runs on a washer supported by ball bearings in a well in the chassis.

    Regarding the stiff/seized speed change mechanism, again the lubricant was years old and all it needed was some fresh lubricant and a bit of working to free it up.

    It was a Garrard 4HF fitted with a ceramic cartridge after all - not a 401 fitted with a Koetsu. What he did was quite sufficient and the results obviously delighted the owner.
    Barry

  8. #8
    Join Date: Feb 2020

    Location: Fife, Scotland

    Posts: 156
    I'm Gordon.

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    He smacked the spindle with a hammer, whilst pulling the platter up with a 'claw' he had made out of an old coathanger. That is what you have to do with a splined fit; especially if the two parts have not been separated for a long time. AFAIK the 'thrust bearing' on a 4HF is like that on the SP25: the platter runs on a washer supported by ball bearings in a well in the chassis.
    Regarding the stiff/seized speed change mechanism, again the lubricant was years old and all it needed was some fresh lubricant and a bit of working to free it up.
    It was a Garrard 4HF fitted with a ceramic cartridge after all - not a 401 fitted with a Koetsu. What he did was quite sufficient and the results obviously delighted the owner.
    .

    I agree to an extent..... My apologies for a slight misleading error by saying he 'smacked' the platter. However, he still used a steel hammer on the spindle! There didn't appear to be a spline and what was visible above the chassis was a tapered collar to the spindle, as with most Garrards of the era, which of course made no difference to the 'method' of removal (but a steel hammer?).

    When the chassis was turned over there was a visible housing similar to that of a 301 / 401, so not quite the same as an SP25!

    And with due respect to the owner, he wouldn't have known the difference between '3in1' or 20/50, or anything else when the TT was presented rotating and a sound was being produced.

    I know I must sound pretty pedantic, but I wouldn't let that guy near an SP25 (far less a 301 or 401) in the condition that was seen in the program, even with a ceramic cartridge. It just didn't look impressive from someone who is considered to be an 'expert'.....
    Technics SL1000R, DynavectorXV1t, Garrard 401, Jelco SA750LB, Decca Reference, ATVM750SH, AT33Mono, Hana Umami Red, Reimyo CDP777, EarYoshino 912, Ear Yoshino 509s, JBLK2 SL5800s, ART Dram interconnects / speaker cables.

  9. #9
    Join Date: Jan 2009

    Location: Essex

    Posts: 26,726
    I'm openingabottleofwine.

    Default

    Yes, you are correct - my mistake!

    https://www.vintageshifi.com/reperto...ers-Manual.pdf The housing for the turntable spindle (shown on page 10) does look very similar to that used on the 301.

    But to declare my interest - I'm a great admirer of the "The Repair Shop" and of the skill of the restorers. I try to watch all the episodes. Mark Stuckey is their resident radio and electronics expert, so repairing a turntable is on the periphery of his skills. The owner, no doubt had tried to get the TT fixed elsewhere but without success. The Repair Shop did fix it for him to his great delight.

    Would I take any of my Thorens or EMT turntables there to be fixed? No, because although they are no longer made there are specialists who can do the work. I doubt if the current Garrard company would be interested in repairing a 60 year old 4HF.
    Barry

  10. #10
    Join Date: Feb 2020

    Location: Fife, Scotland

    Posts: 156
    I'm Gordon.

    Default

    Quality post Barry......Like you, I am also an avid follower of TRS.

    However, as someone who likes to do stuff as perfect as possible, whether it be repairing, general maintenance or manufacturing something, I tend to be a bit critical when I see shortcuts or plain malpractice. As I mentioned earlier, I tend to try and keep an open mind sometimes and have to say to myself..."It's just television".

    There's never any doubt regarding those who bring stuff to The Shop that they are 'over the moon' when the object is returned and in the main the quality of work is exceptional and invariably fascinating.
    Technics SL1000R, DynavectorXV1t, Garrard 401, Jelco SA750LB, Decca Reference, ATVM750SH, AT33Mono, Hana Umami Red, Reimyo CDP777, EarYoshino 912, Ear Yoshino 509s, JBLK2 SL5800s, ART Dram interconnects / speaker cables.

+ Reply to Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •