+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What to use?

I'm Craig.

Default What to use?

Wharfedale Pacific Pi10's on Gale stands that aren't threaded for spikes, can't really be bothered to drill and thread, but should I do that anyway?
    My floor is laminate layed on top of floorboards, is this called suspended flooring?

Anyway all I have under the stands are those cheap felt type adhesive things you get from cheap places like Poundland etc.

Suggestions what I should have underneath the stands, if anything?
    Bluesound Node 2i
    Audio Analogue Pucinni SE
    B&W DM607 s2
    Chord Shawline X speaker cable
    Klotz ic’s

I'm Martin.

If there is a void under the floorboards then that's a suspended floor,

blutak is good for attaching speaker to stand, it has damping properties, might mark the underside of the speaker though.

You could try washing machine feet under the stands. 8 of them can be had for a tenner or less. Might be stability issues depending though. Otherwise concrete slabs are cheap and effective.
    Put a rubber mat on floor, put slab on mat, put speaker stand on slab. Warning - WAF may apply.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Geoff.

I prefer felt pads to BluTak which can get messy, it has been known to pull veneer off or leave greasy marks too.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Craig.

I already use BluTac...
    Bluesound Node 2i
    B&W DM607 s2
    Klotz ic’s

I'm Craig.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    If there is a void under the floorboards then that's a suspended floor,

blutak is good for attaching speaker to stand, it has damping properties, might mark the underside of the speaker though.

You could try washing machine feet under the stands. 8 of them can be had for a tenner or less. Might be stability issues depending though. Otherwise concrete slabs are cheap and effective.
    Put a rubber mat on floor, put slab on mat, put speaker stand on slab. Warning - WAF may apply.
    WAF has already been at play, I saw some granite slabs in a shop last week and she vetoed the purchase on the basis that they were slightly the wrong colour, rather pale as compared to the black ones I used to have years ago.
    This despite the fact that the biggest majority of them would be hidden under the speaker stand!
    Bluesound Node 2i
    B&W DM607 s2
    Klotz ic’s

I'm Martin.

sure you can find some black ones.
    Current Lash Up:

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    I prefer felt pads to BluTak which can get messy, it has been known to pull veneer off or leave greasy marks too.
    But with blu tak you can't accidentally knock the speaker off the stand. You can even pick the speaker up and the stand stays attached.

I did mention it can mark, but for the underside of some budget speakers it doesn't really matter does it?
    Current Lash Up:

I'm Craig.

As it's been an awfully long time since I was allowed to 'play', what are the aural benefits from having some kind of felt/sorbothane or whatever under the stands?
    I can't remember what the results were...��
    Bluesound Node 2i
    B&W DM607 s2
    Klotz ic’s

I'm Dominic.

Hiya Craig, I have some thick black rubber sheet here that will do a great job of damping the speakers and won't damage the floor either. I bought a huge sheet to dampen off the glass shelves of my rack and it works really well.

Will get over to you as soon as I have some spare time

By the way, have you sorted your interconnects? If not, I have 2 pairs here.
    CD player = Marantz CD6006
    DAC/pre = Rotel RC 1572
    Power amp = ADA PF201
    Speaks = Quadral Chromium Style 6

I'm Steve.

Quote Originally Posted by icehockeyboy View Post
    WAF has already been at play, I saw some granite slabs in a shop last week and she vetoed the purchase on the basis that they were slightly the wrong colour, rather pale as compared to the black ones I used to have years ago.
    This despite the fact that the biggest majority of them would be hidden under the speaker stand!
    Tin of black spray paint, about 4 quid, job done.
    I just dropped in, to see what condition my condition was in

T/T: Inspire Monarch, X200 tonearm, Ortofon Quintet Blue. Phono: Project Tube Box CD: Marantz CD6006 (UK Edition); Amp: Musical Fidelity A5 Integrated.
    Speakers: Zu Omen Def, REL T9i subwoofer. Cables: Atlas Equator interconnects, Atlas Hyper 3.0 speaker cables

T'other system:
    Echo Dot, Amptastic Mini One,Arcam A75 integrated, Celestion 5's, BK XLS-200 DF

A/V:
    LG 55" OLED, Panasonic Blu Ray, Sony a/v amp, MA Radius speakers, REL Storm sub

Forget the past, it's gone. And don't worry about the future, it doesn't exist. There is only NOW.

KICKSTARTER: ENABLING SCAMMERS SINCE 2009

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast