+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Amazon Music HD and Apple Music HD

I'm Andrew.

Default Amazon Music HD and Apple Music HD

Hello and happy new year. I've been happily using Spotify Premium through my various Squeezeboxes via spotty for ages. I've been waiting for Spotify HiFi but this seems to be on hold.
    In the meantime both Amazon and Apple have become more affordable.
    I'm looking for some assistance with getting either Amazon or Apple to my hifi. Ideally I would want to connect an ethernet connected device to my amp and choose songs on something like a phone app.
    Is there a way of doing this that does not use the proprietary devices like Echo and Echo link? I'd prefer to avoid Bluetooth or having to choose music on a computer, laptop or TV screen.
    Is anyone doing this? Is there a cost effective way of doing it?
    Thanks. Andy.

I'm Grant.

i dare say apple could be worked via an apple tv box. especially if tv has an optical out to dac. guess amazon can too. if tv is right type and has a good audio out like optical i guess you could do without the boxes etv
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Andrew.

Thanks Grant. I don't have a TV in the room. Chromecast uses HDMI I believe? As does a Firestick. It would need to be something that connects to the internet and my hifi via a DAC and where I could choose songs on a phone app. (I use ipenguin for this at the moment through Squeezeboxes). It might not actually be possible, I'm not sure.

I'm Grant.

a rpi maybe?
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Andrew.

Possibly, yes. I wonder if anyone has used an rpi successfully with Amazon HD or Apple HD?

I'm Barry.

Depending on the software, you can usually use Airplay from a Raspberry Pi, but I don't think it supports HD music.

I'm Mike.

Very few devices work natively with Amazon music.

Can't be done on a Pi, you need to hunt down devices that can work.

Only early versions of the Fire TV boxes have optical out.

Amazon won't release the required apk to allow it on devices like the pi I'm afraid.

Bluesound can use Amazon music, Sonos too

I'm editing as I search

Denon Heos

DTS Play-fi devices as listed here..

https://play-fi.com/products/
    Last edited by mikeyb; 11-01-2022 at 19:32.

I'm Bob.

Good question OP.

The closest I got was to plug the line out from one of my Echo Dots into the back of my preamp.

The result was far from overwhelming but this was just Amazon Music, not HD.

I didn't go as far as putting the Amazon app on my Android tablet that I use as a remote for my NAS and player, and couldn't quite get my head around whether this would work anyway. So it was just shouty commands to Alexa on what to play: probably requires more thought and dedication on my part.

I shall watch this thread with interest.
    Source: Orbe SE / SME IV / Cadenza Bronze
    Source: WD NAS / Cyrus Stream X2 / Chord DAVE
    Source: Oppo UDP-205 (CD/DVD-A/SACD)

Amplification: Icon Audio PS 3 Sig Phono + Audio Research LS27 + Musical Fidelity A5cr Power Amp
    Loudspeakers: ProAc Response D28
    Cables/stands: Mark Grant G1500HD + Linn K20 + Cat 5e
    Other bits: Okki Nokki keeping things clean

I'm Andrew.

Thanks, Barry, Mike and Bob. I didn't want to go down the Alexa/Echo route and am surprised as to how difficult it seems to be to apply to a hifi situation and not a smart speaker/Bluetooth/Sonos scenario. Apple and Amazon seem to have hamstrung their HD formats a little with their restrictions on application, given the HD versions are probably of little interest to the smart speaker brigade. I'll check out your links Mike.

I'm Barry.

I have been running Amazon Ultra HD through my hifi for the last couple of months, in a round about way.

I have a fire stick pluged into my AV receiver (both support 24/192). I run the front pre outs from to AV receiver to the pre ins on my Audiolab stereo amp and select pure direct output on the AV receiver. Sounds very good to me. Pictue on tv confims I am listening in HD, when avaiable.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast