+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Looks like it's time for hearing aids!

I'm Loz.

Default Looks like it's time for hearing aids!

Just got home from a hearing test. My hearing has been gradually deteriorating in recent years so I now find conversation tricky (that's problematic at work) social events are a challenge and worst of all music has become bit flat and dull. Been advised that it's time for hearing aids. I dare say a fair few here are using hearing aids already so just wondering how you've all got on with them? Any advice you might have would be appreciated as it's a bit of of minefield out there. Obviously having a better music experience if possible is pretty important to me so aids that can help with that to some extent would be good so don't mind paying a bit more for that.

All the best

Loz

I'm Geoff.

I'm partly deaf, but in no rush to consider hearing aids. The way I see it, is that hearing impairment tends to be from wear and tear. The regions where hearing is impaired are those where levels are boosted by hearing aids, thereby causing more wear and tear right where you don't need it and ultimately making you deafer. Just my opinion.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Peter.

I can only imagine that this must be somewhat frustrating for you...

I'm guessing a lot of the hearing aids out there are either not suited to the user they're sold to, or aren't as good as they claim...

A fair number of folks I've known use them have spent much time not bothering to put them in...

And as they're often in excess of £1k, I find that odd...

Perhaps the initial improvement when trying them in the shop is marked, but for day to day use, I wonder if they're all quite as good as initial tests seem. Or do people just get lazy with them.?

I'd would thus suggest that they need a good home trial, just like an amp or speakers etc, especially as it's important to you that they work well for listening to your music..!

Currently added issues are mask wearing, and worse still, with glasses... Mrs T has recently got hearing aids, and is always getting the 3 things in a tangle.

Good luck.!

Sent using Tapatalk
    Pete

Micro Seiki DD40/MA505/Denon DL304
    Musical Fidelity MX-VYNL
    Musical Fidelity X-A200R
    ATC scm11

I'm Grant.

could try nuraphone headphones. they adjust sound to your hearing to an extent and have certainly improved my sound to point im happy just with them now. got a feeling you can now hire them too. Aussie auologist that invented them i think.
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Steve.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    I'm partly deaf, but in no rush to consider hearing aids. The way I see it, is that hearing impairment tends to be from wear and tear. The regions where hearing is impaired are those where levels are boosted by hearing aids, thereby causing more wear and tear right where you don't need it and ultimately making you deafer. Just my opinion.
    I would agree with this.

A lot of us 'oldies' will suffer impaired hearing (high tone deafness), as we grew up in a time when the effects of loud music, motorcycle riding, noise in the workplace, etc weren't understood.

As Geoff is probably suggesting, boosting the higher frequencies to compensate would surely further damage our hearing in the same way as the original cause.

I can hear bugger all above about 5kHz, but I'd rather live with that than pay a fortune to risk making it worse.
    I just dropped in, to see what condition my condition was in

T/T: Inspire Monarch, X200 tonearm, Ortofon Quintet Blue. Phono: Project Tube Box CD: Marantz CD6006 (UK Edition); Amp: Musical Fidelity A5 Integrated.
    Speakers: Zu Omen Def, REL T9i subwoofer. Cables: Atlas Equator interconnects, Atlas Hyper 3.0 speaker cables

T'other system:
    Echo Dot, Amptastic Mini One,Arcam A75 integrated, Celestion 5's, BK XLS-200 DF

A/V:
    LG 55" OLED, Panasonic Blu Ray, Sony a/v amp, MA Radius speakers, REL Storm sub

Forget the past, it's gone. And don't worry about the future, it doesn't exist. There is only NOW.

KICKSTARTER: ENABLING SCAMMERS SINCE 2009

I'm Loz.

Some interesting points. Thanks. Having a cursory read around the idea of them causing further deterioration doesn't throw up much evidence. Having said that most of the information I've found comes from websites with an interest in promoting them! I guess I need to weigh up how much benefit it will give me now as opposed to sitting it out to point where my hearing may no longer be so redeemable. It's a cruel world where as a younger man I couldn't possibly afford higher end HiFi, but now that I could it would most likely be pointless given my ageing faculties. Its seems most of the major suppliers do a 90 day money back guarantee so could 'try at home'. I'm going to give myself plenty of time before making any decision

I'm Steve.

Perhaps you could do something with your set up to boost the higher frequencies, and hope the dog doesn't pack his bags and leave. Might sound awful to others, but if it's just you listening, great.

T/T: Inspire Monarch, X200 tonearm, Ortofon Quintet Blue. Phono: Project Tube Box CD: Marantz CD6006 (UK Edition); Amp: Musical Fidelity A5 Integrated.
    Speakers: Zu Omen Def, REL T9i subwoofer. Cables: Atlas Equator interconnects, Atlas Hyper 3.0 speaker cables

T'other system:

A/V:

Forget the past, it's gone. And don't worry about the future, it doesn't exist. There is only NOW.

I'm Loz.

An update. I've had hearing aids on trial for 3 weeks or so now. So far I can say that there are some improvements for day to day hearing. I can hear my wife a lot better, conversations in groups are clearer, restaurants and public spaces are less problematic although at the football a week ago it was too much so had to take them out! Listening to music, although not a revelation, is certainly more enjoyable. However I need more time with that as not had much opportunity to sit and listen.

They are automatically adaptable to the environment i am in but i can adjust them manually via an app on my phone. I wear glasses and have to wear masks at work still so it can be fiddly but I've worked out a strategy for that so its not really too much bother. Battery life is not good, they rarely get me through my working day. They are on trial for 60 days so if I decide not to have them I get a full refund. It seems i can keep on changing brands of hearing aids until i find the right one, each with a 60 day trial. They are not cheap by the way! Given the cost I'm still undecided but will say I've taken more positives than negatives from them so far.

I'm Grant.

thats good your seeing some improvement. probably worth trying a few tho as some may be even better for you.
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Steve.

I might take the surgical route

T'other system:

A/V:

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast