+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Trilogy 968 valve amp

I'm Ales.

Default Trilogy 968 valve amp

Hi all,

I'm looking for an information and experience for all valve power amp Trilogy 968, 4xEL34 or 4xKT88, which will drive my Tannoy Turnberry speakers?
    This series of amplifiers are from 2009, but now not produced any more. Any tips welcome?
    A lot of good music through Tannoy Kensington GR speakers, Accuphase E-650 amp, Accuphase DP-400 CD player, turntable Technics SL 1200G with Grado Reference 2

I'm Edward.

I have a 968 and they drive my Tannoys very well. Both with EL34s and KT88s. Also either in Pentode or triode modes.

There is a dip switch on the motherboard to choose between EL34s and KT88s.

Throw in valves, set the bias and envelop yourself in rich textual sound.

Needs a good active pre to make it sing.

Happy to discuss further.

E

§
    Current: [P20] Roon/Tidal > Custom PC> Chevron Paradox NDF16 > Phast Pre > Neuro. 686 > Tannoy Berkley (RFC tweaks)

I'm Ales.

Thank you Edward for you valuable comment. I'm interested in which types of tubes for driving and power penthodes are you using?
    Can you recommend which preamp has best sinergy with Trilogy 968?
    A lot of good music through Tannoy Kensington GR speakers, Accuphase E-650 amp, Accuphase DP-400 CD player, turntable Technics SL 1200G with Grado Reference 2

I'm Edward.

Hi Ales

I've used a range of valves on the 968. From TAD, to JJs to Shuguang to Audio Research badged (I think Svetlanas). All sound great but I guess the JJs and Svetlanas were the cream. JJs are always reliable/linear/open sounding and pretty bullet proof. I may try something different one day. Psvanes come to mind as a possibility.

The 968 is pretty insensitive (Nic Poulson the maker says it is slightly 'deaf') so need an active preamp to match the 968s requirement. Certainly I found a passive pre sounded dull until I went either to an active pre or added a buffer stage. But really any good quality active pre should be good. Depends on how deep your pockets are.

A couple years ago I took my 968 over to Nic Poulson for a checkover. He said it sounded great and nothing needing doing. Not bad for an amp over 10 years old. Only thing he did was change the feet to 'Krion' feet to match what he does these days. The fit and finish of the 968 (as indeed the whole Trilogy range) is world class.

To be fair I've not had the 968 plugged in for a while, but your post prompts me to try it out again soon.

Do you have the 968 or just contemplating one? I imagine you already read the instruction manual.

E
    Current: [P20] Roon/Tidal > Custom PC> Chevron Paradox NDF16 > Phast Pre > Neuro. 686 > Tannoy Berkley (RFC tweaks)

+ Reply to Thread