+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Sorbothane under speakers

I'm Chris.

Quote Originally Posted by sailor View Post
    Hi Cris, congratulations on the Podiums. Would you care to elaborate on the differences between the podiums and the sorbothane you were using.
    Hi Charles

I hate terms like 'removing a veil' 'best I have ever heard' etc, but I will try to explain the differences.

The use of the CORRECT sorbothane feet was a revelation in terms of clarity of presentation. The rock you get when pushing the speakers is very similar to the Podiums and most people would be happy to stop there.

The main difference between the two methods is that the sorbothane improves the speakers and the Podiums improve the speakers and the room, By this I mean that the sorbothane, because of its poorer isolation properties at the lower frequencies has very little effect on those frequencies that are transferred to the room structure.

Because of this quietening of the room with Podiums, the presentation is quite different, everything is projected from the speakers against a noiseless background. For me, in my room, which has taken over 18 months to get sounding right this is quite a profound effect requiring a period of re-adjustment. Its definitely better SQ, but the new presentation will take a few days to acclimatise to, then I will move around my room treatments such as absorbers and diffusers.

My summary is much as I posted earlier that, done properly, sorbothane feet get you most of the way there and you have to spend insane amounts of money to move on still further. For some of us, reaching out for the ultimate Hi Fi, that is a price worth paying. My perspective is that decoupling the room gives a more cost effective improvement on the whole system than spending that money on a single component.

Please feel free to ask any more questions
    Source
    SW1X Universal Music Server UMS I Signature with Power Supply Unit PSU I Signature
    SW1X USB II
    SW1X DAC III Special
    Audiolab 6000 CDT transport
    Amps
    Pre amps -- Hi fi Collective twin mono ladder stepped attenuator, with Charcroft Z-foil and silver wired. And First Watt B1 active no gain buffer.
    Power amps -- Welborne 45 SET monoblocks 1.8W / Decware Taboo 6W / Elekit 300B TU-8600SVK plus further improved components 9W / ICE Power 1000W
    Speakers
    Highly modified Endorphin P17 open baffle speakers containing both vintage and modern alnico drivers and paper cones. All silver wired - 8" Cube Audio FC8 full range drivers and vintage 15" Altec VOTT 416 bass drivers. All sat on Townsend Audio Podium seismic isolation platforms.
    BK Electronics XLS400FF Sub.
    Cabling
    Silver mains cables, interconnects and speaker cables by SW1X
    Headphones
    HRT HeadStreamer and SennHeiser HD650 headphones

I'm charles.

Interesting and useful information, thanks.

I may have to settle for sorbothane at this stage though because of the new DAC I've ordered. I was very tempted by the DAC you have but ultimately settled on the new Mojo Audio Mystique X which is still being built

I'm Chris.

Quote Originally Posted by sailor View Post
    Interesting and useful information, thanks.

I may have to settle for sorbothane at this stage though because of the new DAC I've ordered. I was very tempted by the DAC you have but ultimately settled on the new Mojo Audio Mystique X which is still being built
    OK Charles. I don't know of that DAC, but reviews are good

I can't stress how important it is to get the right level of support with the sorbothane. If its too hard then it will not have entered into its optimum working range and if its too soft it will have passed through its optimum working range. I think I remember reading it should be be about 30% compressed so that 70% of its compression remains.

Good luck.

If you look at the You Tube vidoes of the Podiums, make a mental note of the amount they can sway and try to replicate that with the sorbothane. As my OBs are front loaded with weight I found 4 on the front and two on the back worked well.
    Source
    SW1X Universal Music Server UMS I Signature with Power Supply Unit PSU I Signature
    SW1X USB II
    SW1X DAC III Special
    Audiolab 6000 CDT transport
    Amps
    Pre amps -- Hi fi Collective twin mono ladder stepped attenuator, with Charcroft Z-foil and silver wired. And First Watt B1 active no gain buffer.
    Power amps -- Welborne 45 SET monoblocks 1.8W / Decware Taboo 6W / Elekit 300B TU-8600SVK plus further improved components 9W / ICE Power 1000W
    Speakers
    Highly modified Endorphin P17 open baffle speakers containing both vintage and modern alnico drivers and paper cones. All silver wired - 8" Cube Audio FC8 full range drivers and vintage 15" Altec VOTT 416 bass drivers. All sat on Townsend Audio Podium seismic isolation platforms.
    BK Electronics XLS400FF Sub.
    Cabling
    Silver mains cables, interconnects and speaker cables by SW1X
    Headphones
    HRT HeadStreamer and SennHeiser HD650 headphones

+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567