+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Isolating speakers from the floor

I'm Chris.

Quote Originally Posted by AJSki2fly View Post
    ] but check on what weight 4 can take.
    This is a good point to allow each support to works in its optimum range. Too much weigh and it is too squashed and too little weight and its barely doing its job.

For 'normal' speakers each corner would 'weigh' 16KG.

BUT for my open baffles probably 75% of the weight is concentrated on the front edge and only 25% at the rear edge.

So my calculations suggest that each front corner 'weighs' 24Kg and each rear corner 'weighs' just 8Kg. So I will probably need different front and back supports
    Source
    SW1X Universal Music Server UMS I Signature with Power Supply Unit PSU I Signature
    SW1X USB II
    SW1X DAC III Special
    Audiolab 6000 CDT transport
    Amps
    Pre amps -- Hi fi Collective twin mono ladder stepped attenuator, with Charcroft Z-foil and silver wired. And First Watt B1 active no gain buffer.
    Power amps -- Welborne 45 SET monoblocks 1.8W / Decware Taboo 6W / Elekit 300B TU-8600SVK plus further improved components 9W / ICE Power 1000W
    Speakers
    Highly modified Endorphin P17 open baffle speakers containing both vintage and modern alnico drivers and paper cones. All silver wired - 8" Cube Audio FC8 full range drivers and vintage 15" Altec VOTT 416 bass drivers. All sat on Townsend Audio Podium seismic isolation platforms.
    BK Electronics XLS400FF Sub.
    Cabling
    Silver mains cables, interconnects and speaker cables by SW1X
    Headphones
    HRT HeadStreamer and SennHeiser HD650 headphones

I'm Pete.

similarly my panel speakers have much of the weight to the front edge ....The real eye opener were the townshend seismic bars ...I could place these at the appropriate points over the center of gravity. These were not cheap but the effect was as if I bought a whole new system at a fraction of the price. Al aspects of the musical presentation improved.

Incidentally there is a very good you tube presentation as to the whys and hows from townshend https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dW9-r83IvhI

I'm Kevin.

Quote Originally Posted by bumpy View Post
    This is a good point to allow each support to works in its optimum range. Too much weigh and it is too squashed and too little weight and its barely doing its job.

For 'normal' speakers each corner would 'weigh' 16KG.

BUT for my open baffles probably 75% of the weight is concentrated on the front edge and only 25% at the rear edge.

So my calculations suggest that each front corner 'weighs' 24Kg and each rear corner 'weighs' just 8Kg. So I will probably need different front and back supports
    Or three pucks at the front, and one at the back?
    I would get in touch with IsoAcoustics and see what they say. They usually respond fairly quickly.
    Kevin

Too busy enjoying the music....

European loan coordinator for Graham Slee HiFi system components..

I'm Andrew.

I once made my own isolation pads by squeezing silicone filler into a shallow mould. I made them rectangular, about a centimetre thick and just a little bigger than the footprint of the speaker. They isolated the speakers quite well from the cavity under the floor and tamed/ tightened up boomy bass.

I'm NotTakingLifeTooSeriouslyTheseDays.

I have used the Townshend isolation system for many years now, and have removed them a few times just to make sure my mind isn't playing tricks with me, the diffrence with and without isnt subtle, so I can deffinately recomend those, not cheap, but IMHO well worth the investment.
    A...
    "Today scientists have substituted mathematics for experiments, and they wander off through equation after equation, and eventually build a structure which has no relation to reality"
    Nikola Tesla

Its now a conspiracy theory to believe that the Immune system is capable of doing the job it was designed to do.
    A fish is only as healthy as the water its swimming in ! [Dr Robert Young]

www.tubedistinctions.co.uk

Matthew 5:10

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12