+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Isolating speakers from the floor

I'm Chris.

Default Isolating speakers from the floor

To avoid transmitting (low frequency) speaker vibrations into the floor and eventually the structure of the room I want to try isolation.

A set of eight 'quality' isolating feet can rocket to well over £1000 and snake oil comes to mind.

https://www.futureshop.co.uk/isoacou...isolation-feet

So do you good people have any recommendation for isolating a pair of heavy floorstander?

Thanks
    Source
    SW1X Universal Music Server UMS I Signature with Power Supply Unit PSU I Signature
    SW1X USB II
    SW1X DAC III Special
    Audiolab 6000 CDT transport
    Amps
    Pre amps -- Hi fi Collective twin mono ladder stepped attenuator, with Charcroft Z-foil and silver wired. And First Watt B1 active no gain buffer.
    Power amps -- Welborne 45 SET monoblocks 1.8W / Decware Taboo 6W / Elekit 300B TU-8600SVK plus further improved components 9W / ICE Power 1000W
    Speakers
    Highly modified Endorphin P17 open baffle speakers containing both vintage and modern alnico drivers and paper cones. All silver wired - 8" Cube Audio FC8 full range drivers and vintage 15" Altec VOTT 416 bass drivers. All sat on Townsend Audio Podium seismic isolation platforms.
    BK Electronics XLS400FF Sub.
    Cabling
    Silver mains cables, interconnects and speaker cables by SW1X
    Headphones
    HRT HeadStreamer and SennHeiser HD650 headphones

I'm Kevin.

Do you need the threaded version?
    IsoAcoustics also do a Professional/industrial version, the IsoPuck which works well, and is much cheaper.
    Kevin

Too busy enjoying the music....

European loan coordinator for Graham Slee HiFi system components..

I'm Chris.

Quote Originally Posted by CageyH View Post
    Do you need the threaded version?
    IsoAcoustics also do a Professional/industrial version, the IsoPuck which works well, and is much cheaper.
    Nope don't need the threaded part
    Source
    SW1X Universal Music Server UMS I Signature with Power Supply Unit PSU I Signature
    SW1X USB II
    SW1X DAC III Special
    Amps
    Pre amps -- Hi fi Collective twin mono ladder stepped attenuator, with Charcroft Z-foil and silver wired. And First Watt B1 active no gain buffer.
    Power amps -- Welborne 45 SET monoblocks 1.8W / Decware Taboo 6W / Elekit 300B TU-8600SVK plus further improved components 9W / ICE Power 1000W
    Speakers
    Highly modified Endorphin P17 open baffle speakers containing both vintage and modern alnico drivers and paper cones. All silver wired - 8" Cube Audio FC8 full range drivers and vintage 15" Altec VOTT 416 bass drivers. All sat on Townsend Audio Podium seismic isolation platforms.
    Cabling
    Headphones

I'm Kevin.

IsoPucks work well.
    I have them under my Triangle Esprit Antal EZ, sat on a suspended wooden floor, and they do the job very well.
    I also use IsoPuck Minis under my valve equipment, and they work well too.

They are just not as bling/shiney.
    Just check the weight falls into the acceptable range.
    Kevin

Too busy enjoying the music....

European loan coordinator for Graham Slee HiFi system components..

I'm Phil.

how heavy are the speakers . as cageh says . iso pucks work well

iso puck 76 take 18kg and cost under 70 quid for 2

https://www.musicmatter.co.uk/isoaco...IaAlBMEALw_wcB
    ou might slip, you might slide, you might
    Stumble and fall by the road side
    But don't you ever let nobody drag your spirit down
    Remember you're walking up to heaven

Don't let nobody turn you around
    … Walk with the rich, walk with the poor
    Learn from everyone, that's what life is for
    And don't you let nobody drag your spirit down

Eric Bibb

I'm keith.

i bought these when i moved last year and didnt like the bass coming through my laminate flooring. Expensive for essentially some thick foam but they worked.
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...0?ie=UTF8&th=1

I'm Chris.

Quote Originally Posted by hifinutt View Post
    how heavy are the speakers . as cageh says . iso pucks work well

iso puck 76 take 18kg and cost under 70 quid for 2

https://www.musicmatter.co.uk/isoaco...IaAlBMEALw_wcB
    Now there's a challenge. Normally I would just reply bloody heavy as they can't be lifted by one person but I guess I need to know.

They are prototype open baffles with 2" thick baffles and the bass drivers in particular are very heavy
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Source
    SW1X USB II
    SW1X DAC III Special
    Amps
    Speakers
    Cabling
    Headphones

I'm Chris.

OK
    Just had a fun moment with the speakers and our bathroom scales. They weigh in at 65KG each.
    Source
    SW1X USB II
    SW1X DAC III Special
    Amps
    Speakers
    Cabling
    Headphones

I'm Adrian.

I have some Hudson Speaker isolation feet, I have tried them directly under the speakers instead of spikes and also placed the speakers(with spikes) onto oak plinths with the Hudsons under the oak plinths, I have found the second set up gives the best isolation and results in tight and detailed bass and I think overall a better soundstage definition. If you look at a lot of the isolation feet on sale they general incorporate some form of Sorbothane/rubber for isolation and some also utilise a hard point system to focus energy out of the device.

For Oak plinths just buy some 40mm Kitchen Oak worktop and cut to size, you can spray lacquer them black of leave them natural.

These would suit your speakers https://www.hudsonhifi.com/products/...rm-soft-blocks note this Durometer 60 (Shore A) supports up to 150 LBS: this is important if they are to soft or too hard for the speaker weight then they will not be as effective.

I also found these https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/274869685...EAAOSw1V5g8YZL but check on what weight 4 can take. Alternatively http://www.true-point.audio for SH30050 50mm Load 12.7 - 17.2kg(each)
    Listening is the act of aural discrimination and dissemination of sound, and accepting you get it wrong sometimes.

Analog Inputs: Pro-Ject Signature 10 TT & arm, Benz Micro LP-S, Michel Cusis MC, Goldring 2500 and Ortofon Rondo Blue cartridges, Hitachi FT5500 mk2 Tuner

Digital:- Marantz SA-KI Pearl CD player, RaspberryPi/HifiBerry Digi+ Pro, Buffalo NAS Drive

Amplification:- AudioValve Sunilda phono stage, Krell KSP-7B pre-amp, Krell KSA-80 power amp

Output: Wilson Benesch Vector speakers, KLH Ultimate One Headphones

Cables: Tellurium Q Ultra Black II RCA & Chord Epic 2 RCA, various speaker leads, & links

I think I am nearing audio nirvana, but don’t tell anyone.

I'm Steve.

Quote Originally Posted by AJSki2fly View Post
    I have some Hudson Speaker isolation feet, I have tried them directly under the speakers instead of spikes and also placed the speakers(with spikes) onto oak plinths with the Hudsons under the oak plinths, I have found the second set up gives the best isolation and results in tight and detailed bass and I think overall a better soundstage definition. If you look at a lot of the isolation feet on sale they general incorporate some form of Sorbothane/rubber for isolation and some also utilise a hard point system to focus energy out of the device.

For Oak plinths just buy some 40mm Kitchen Oak worktop and cut to size, you can spray lacquer them black of leave them natural.

These would suit your speakers https://www.hudsonhifi.com/products/...rm-soft-blocks note this Durometer 60 (Shore A) supports up to 150 LBS: this is important if they are to soft or too hard for the speaker weight then they will not be as effective.

I also found these https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/274869685...EAAOSw1V5g8YZL but check on what weight 4 can take. Alternatively http://www.true-point.audio for SH30050 50mm Load 12.7 - 17.2kg(each)
    Those you did for me last year are just the job for my speakers - recommended. And because they were the same dimensions as the speakers they look like they're part of the cabinets
    I just dropped in, to see what condition my condition was in

T/T: Inspire Monarch, X200 tonearm, Ortofon Quintet Blue. Phono: Project Tube Box CD: Marantz CD6006 (UK Edition); Amp: Musical Fidelity A5 Integrated.
    Speakers: Zu Omen Def, REL T9i subwoofer. Cables: Atlas Equator interconnects, Atlas Hyper 3.0 speaker cables

T'other system:
    Echo Dot, Amptastic Mini One,Arcam A75 integrated, Celestion 5's, BK XLS-200 DF

A/V:
    LG 55" OLED, Panasonic Blu Ray, Sony a/v amp, MA Radius speakers, REL Storm sub

Forget the past, it's gone. And don't worry about the future, it doesn't exist. There is only NOW.

KICKSTARTER: ENABLING SCAMMERS SINCE 2009

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast