+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Are My Speakers Nearing Retirement?

I'm John.

Check out the Wharfedale range, similar balance to your B&Ws from memory.

I'm Christopher.

Thanks again for all the replies Gents

Quote Originally Posted by hifinutt View Post
    i have 2 pairs of the 607 s2 anniversary . they are pretty good but they are much smaller than yours and i think you would not be satisfied with them . they are great quality even though made in china

i also demoed the 606s2 recently against amphion argon 1 . afraid to say the amphion were streets ahead in terms of smoothness and sheer enjoyment . dont get me wrong the 606 are good for 600 quid but at 1200 quid the amphion were way better . I am currently using some 3s which are good , in fact they are VERY VERY good and would easily exceed the performance of yours . sadly they are around 1400 s/h

P1070805 by , on Flickr

for a budget of around 500 i would be looking at these too

https://alchrisaudio.co.uk/product/ar-2/
    Thanks for the reply Phil... those Alchris AR-2 speakers look good but the AR-4 or even 6's are not that much more money as I'd be looking for the next set of speakers to ideally last up to another 25 years so pound per year value would be good

Quote Originally Posted by JohnJo View Post
    Check out the Wharfedale range, similar balance to your B&Ws from memory.
    Thanks John, Wharfedales do seem to get good reviews whenever I have seen information about them; pretty sure I sorted out some little Wharfedales for my dad when we upgraded his system to separates a few years back - small with a big sound.
    Best Wishes
    Christopher D
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Main System: Vinyl - Technics SL1200 Mk1, Technics Mk2 Headshell , Audio Technica AT_VM95C, Cambridge Audio Azur 551P Phono Stage: CD - Marantz CD 6005: Amp - Cambridge Audio Azur 351A: Speakers - B&W DM600
    Second System (WIP) : CD - NAD C 521i : Cassette - Technics RS-BX404: Amp - Technics SU-V470 PXS : Speakers - Wharfdale Laser 60
    Streaming: Audio Interface - Focusrite Scarlett 8i6: Active Monitors - Adam Audio T5V

I'm Lawrence.

I've seen this before with some Wharfedales of a similar vintage. I think one was kept near a radiator for years and this was the result. Strong sunlight could also have a similar effect.

I don't think it would make much if any audible difference. Professional measuring equipment may be able to pick up a difference but if you can't hear it then don't worry about it. If you have OCD about hifi (as many of us do!) then maybe you can't live with it as it's a distraction but if not just carry on enjoying them!

I'm Patrick.

You could phone B&W and see if they can supply replacement parts.

I'm Christopher.

Quote Originally Posted by Lawrence001 View Post
    I've seen this before with some Wharfedales of a similar vintage. I think one was kept near a radiator for years and this was the result. Strong sunlight could also have a similar effect.

I don't think it would make much if any audible difference. Professional measuring equipment may be able to pick up a difference but if you can't hear it then don't worry about it. If you have OCD about hifi (as many of us do!) then maybe you can't live with it as it's a distraction but if not just carry on enjoying them!
    Thanks Lawrence - they've always been away from heat and I am obsessive about avoiding direct sunlight but I guess it is age.
    The OCD does get me sometimes but I generally keep the grilles in place to avoid that

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Dixon View Post
    You could phone B&W and see if they can supply replacement parts.
    Because of their age I hadn't considered that but I guess dropping an email enquiry to B&W is worth a punt - Thanks Patrick
    Best Wishes
    Christopher D
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Main System: Vinyl - Technics SL1200 Mk1, Technics Mk2 Headshell , Audio Technica AT_VM95C, Cambridge Audio Azur 551P Phono Stage: CD - Marantz CD 6005: Amp - Cambridge Audio Azur 351A: Speakers - B&W DM600
    Second System (WIP) : CD - NAD C 521i : Cassette - Technics RS-BX404: Amp - Technics SU-V470 PXS : Speakers - Wharfdale Laser 60
    Streaming: Audio Interface - Focusrite Scarlett 8i6: Active Monitors - Adam Audio T5V

I'm Steve.

Have you seen these on Ebay Christopher? They have the same issues with the bass units, and there is another pair for sale too , similar. Must be a thing.

I just dropped in, to see what condition my condition was in

T/T: Inspire Monarch, X200 tonearm, Ortofon Quintet Blue. Phono: Project Tube Box CD: Marantz CD6006 (UK Edition); Amp: Musical Fidelity A5 Integrated.
    Speakers: Zu Omen Def, REL T9i subwoofer. Cables: Atlas Equator interconnects, Atlas Hyper 3.0 speaker cables

T'other system:
    Echo Dot, Amptastic Mini One,Arcam A75 integrated, Celestion 5's, BK XLS-200 DF

A/V:
    LG 55" OLED, Panasonic Blu Ray, Sony a/v amp, MA Radius speakers, REL Storm sub

Forget the past, it's gone. And don't worry about the future, it doesn't exist. There is only NOW.

KICKSTARTER: ENABLING SCAMMERS SINCE 2009

I'm Christopher.

Quote Originally Posted by Pigmy Pony View Post
    Have you seen these on Ebay Christopher? They have the same issues with the bass units, and there is another pair for sale too , similar. Must be a thing.

Hello Steve,

I hadn't seen them and didn't really look at ebay for the version I had, only for newer versions as potential replacements.
    As you say - seems like every pair has the same issue so would appear to be a typical and common age related issue.

Mine still bring a smile to my face when I hear them so I'll continue to enjoy them for a while yet with a view to replacing without urgency.

Many Thanks for the reply
    Best Wishes
    Christopher D

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12