+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Are My Speakers Nearing Retirement?

I'm Christopher.

Default Are My Speakers Nearing Retirement?

I've had my B&W Dm 600s for over 25 years and apart from the usual wear and tear associated with that timescale they have served me well to the point that the idea of change fills me with horror.

Recently I have noticed that the woofer surrounds - which I guess is butyl rubber, has started to really distort although it remains pliable.

Could those with more experience in such things offer advice as to if this condition is terminal or nothing to worry about whilst they continue to work albeit less effieciently.

As I have got very familiar with how these speakers sound having owned them for half my life, I am also concerned that if the sound has gradually degraded then I haven't noticed it as I have little to compare the sound with.
    I do have a set of 18 month old Adam Audio active monitors which sound fantastic but equally the listening position is completely different as are the source component(s).

If these old timers are too be replaced then I would also welcome advice as what I might try so I can plan ahead and save for this during 2022 if the year goes well; I'm not restricted to bookshelf or standmount speakers but the room isn't huge and when I've looked into floorstanders before they do need to be a fair distance from the wall which isn't practical at the present time.

Best Wishes
    Christopher D
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Main System: Vinyl - Technics SL1200 Mk1, Technics Mk2 Headshell , Audio Technica AT_VM95C, Cambridge Audio Azur 551P Phono Stage: CD - Marantz CD 6005: Amp - Cambridge Audio Azur 351A: Speakers - B&W DM600
    Second System (WIP) : CD - NAD C 521i : Cassette - Technics RS-BX404: Amp - Technics SU-V470 PXS : Speakers - Wharfdale Laser 60
    Streaming: Audio Interface - Focusrite Scarlett 8i6: Active Monitors - Adam Audio T5V

I'm Andrew.

My Tannoy's are approaching 60!
    SS
    CD Teac VRDS25X(Audiotuned) DECK 1210 Mat Crystal Audio Mods MN Base/Bearing/Platter+Ebony armboard Feet Isonoe PSU Paul Hynes SR7EHD-27XL/DCSXL Ag DC lead/3 Stage Regs/Recap PCB+No Pitch/Strobe/Light ARM SME V(Kondo Ag Rewire&Tags) MC Cadenza Black FGS CABLES Arm Yannis SPD-4 IC Yannis 222 Litz+Ag bullets Power WAR PRE ATC SCA2 SPEAKERS ATC 50ASL STANDS Atacama PHONO Sugden Masterclass PA4 SUT Ortofon ST80SE POWER PSAudio P10

VALVE
    PRE
    Croft Epoch(Modded) AMP Sondex S100 (Modded) SPEAKERS Tannoy 15"MG+RFC Warwick cabs+ Ref XO + Batpure supertweeters DECK Garrard 301 Mat Teunto Bearings 401(Bastin) Plinth Bamboo Arms 3009/3012 PSU Eagle+Tachometer MC Ag Meister II/FGS + Ortofon SPU MONO CABLES Arm Yannis 420.5 Litz+ SpeakerPC Tripple C+WBT-0681 Ag IC Oyaide FTVS-510 AgWBT 0110Ag Phonostages Paradise(4 Box Mega-Modded) / Croft Musicmaker

I'm openingabottleofwine.

My speakers were designed 65 years ago, and I have had a pair in continuous use for the last 45 years.

If your B&W DM600s continue to sound OK, then despite the appearance of the roll surrounds I would't worry.
    Barry

I'm Martin.

never seen surrounds go like that before. If they are still unbroken maybe it would not affect the sound? I don't know but it's not ideal.

So many possible replacements. What's your budget?
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    never seen surrounds go like that before
    I have, but it's not common apart from on this model.

It may be possible to source suitable replacement surrounds and fit them. A lot of bother though and they have to be exactly the correct dimensions and profile.

As has been suggested, you could just carry on using them, but cone excursion may be compromised, won't break anything though.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Grant.

ive seen that effect before. think its a bit of expansion over the years. i dont think it will affect sound as long as its not lost its flexability.
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Christopher.

Thanks Gents; I'll carry on as normal using them with a view to replacing without urgency when I find something that suits.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    .........So many possible replacements. What's your budget?
    I'd guess around £500 or so for new speakers of a similar kind would possibly be realistic?

I've had a very brief look at B&W 607 S2 or Rega Kyte as outline ideas regarding style & size but not in any great depth.
    I suppose with my 600s being made in England that would be the preference for the successors, but equally this isn't the early 1990's and a lot has changed since then both in terms of what we make here and the quality that overseas manufacturers can supply; I'll refer back to the case of my Adam Audio monitors, as a German design made in China which I think are fantastic.
    Best Wishes
    Christopher D
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Main System: Vinyl - Technics SL1200 Mk1, Technics Mk2 Headshell , Audio Technica AT_VM95C, Cambridge Audio Azur 551P Phono Stage: CD - Marantz CD 6005: Amp - Cambridge Audio Azur 351A: Speakers - B&W DM600
    Second System (WIP) : CD - NAD C 521i : Cassette - Technics RS-BX404: Amp - Technics SU-V470 PXS : Speakers - Wharfdale Laser 60
    Streaming: Audio Interface - Focusrite Scarlett 8i6: Active Monitors - Adam Audio T5V

I'm Phil.

i have 2 pairs of the 607 s2 anniversary . they are pretty good but they are much smaller than yours and i think you would not be satisfied with them . they are great quality even though made in china

i also demoed the 606s2 recently against amphion argon 1 . afraid to say the amphion were streets ahead in terms of smoothness and sheer enjoyment . dont get me wrong the 606 are good for 600 quid but at 1200 quid the amphion were way better . I am currently using some 3s which are good , in fact they are VERY VERY good and would easily exceed the performance of yours . sadly they are around 1400 s/h

P1070805 by , on Flickr

for a budget of around 500 i would be looking at these too

https://alchrisaudio.co.uk/product/ar-2/
    ou might slip, you might slide, you might
    Stumble and fall by the road side
    But don't you ever let nobody drag your spirit down
    Remember you're walking up to heaven

Don't let nobody turn you around
    … Walk with the rich, walk with the poor
    Learn from everyone, that's what life is for
    And don't you let nobody drag your spirit down

Eric Bibb

I'm Phil.

amphion 3 s
    P1070794 by , on Flickr

extremely good standmounts ... at daventry show the argon 1 excelled themselves

https://pinkfishmedia.net/forum/thre...gon-3s.260254/

these are my 607s2 but i dont think they would be good enough for you really . i use them in a second system though

P1070348 by , on Flickr
    ou might slip, you might slide, you might
    Stumble and fall by the road side
    But don't you ever let nobody drag your spirit down
    Remember you're walking up to heaven

Don't let nobody turn you around
    … Walk with the rich, walk with the poor
    Learn from everyone, that's what life is for
    And don't you let nobody drag your spirit down

Eric Bibb

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by ceejaydee View Post
    Thanks Gents; I'll carry on as normal using them with a view to replacing without urgency when I find something that suits.

I'd guess around £500 or so for new speakers of a similar kind would possibly be realistic?

I've had a very brief look at B&W 607 S2 or Rega Kyte as outline ideas regarding style & size but not in any great depth.
    I suppose with my 600s being made in England that would be the preference for the successors, but equally this isn't the early 1990's and a lot has changed since then both in terms of what we make here and the quality that overseas manufacturers can supply; I'll refer back to the case of my Adam Audio monitors, as a German design made in China which I think are fantastic.
    Modern B&W don't have the same balance as those 1980s ones, but you've got a lot of choice these days for £500.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast