+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Old Newbie!

I'm Craig.

Default Old Newbie!

Having moved just over 4 years ago to sunny Torquay, and the wife insisted that my beloved Kavent/ Usher system would not fit in the cottage, and having bought a Naim Muso to 'take its place?' and having used a Panasonic mini system which sounds amazingly good, I have just dipped my toes back into the water , with what I would term a modest, even beginners set up.

I bought a pair of Wharfedale Pacific Pi10's for my son, obviously wanting to test them for him before sending them up to Nottingham, I did, and long story short, he didn't get them, I decided my need was greater than his, so I sent him one of my three Panasonic mini's which he is more than pleased with.

So I hooked the Pacific's up to the Panny, which has a reasonably good 60 watts RMS pr channel, except it is only that into a 3 ohm speaker, which it's matching speakers are, but the Wharfedale's are 6 ohms, so it started me thinking that I really ought to have an amp that was a bit more compatible, and started trawling the classifieds for something that was, by comparison to previous systems, 'as cheap as chips'

There were lots around but a lot of people confuse 'vintage' with old and knackered'
    I narrowed my choices down, and decided on a Marantz PM44 SE in mint condition.
    I noticed that it was a bit of a drive away, so I did a bit of haggling to help cover the distance involved, and I was very fair only asking for my offer to be considered if after a few weeks it was not sold at asking price.
    My offer was accepted so I put the address into Google maps where magically the distance suddenly upped from 41 miles to 63!
    No problem as in the past I've driven from Nottingham to Cambridge, London, and Oxford for previous bits of Hifi, don't we all?
    Anyway, I had been having issues when I was streaming with hiccups, glitches and stoppages in music.
    Like an idiot it hadn't dawned on me that this started when I traded my iPad for one with a larger capacity, and I went around the houses buying things like an AudioCast WiFi streamer, and ultimately a Sonos Connect S1.
    Anyway, iPad swapped again, and no further problems encountered, I now posses a very modest little set up comprising of the Marantz and Wharfedale stuff already mentioned, utilising the Sonos and my old REL Quake , and I'm enjoying my music all over again !
    Just the one problem, it's started me down the slippery slope to 'Swap-itis' all over again!
    Bluesound Node 2i
    Audio Analogue Pucinni SE
    B&W DM607 s2
    Chord Shawline X speaker cable
    Klotz ic’s

I'm Craig.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Bluesound Node 2i
    B&W DM607 s2
    Klotz ic’s

I'm Phil.

fantastic craig , glad its working well . enjoyed a lovely christmas in torquay [ although not the train journey there !!} wonderful place to live and well connected by roads making getting kit a bit easier . there was some amazing shindo stuff in torquay recently . very rare

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Shindo-Ap...=20001&mkevt=1
    ou might slip, you might slide, you might
    Stumble and fall by the road side
    But don't you ever let nobody drag your spirit down
    Remember you're walking up to heaven

Don't let nobody turn you around
    … Walk with the rich, walk with the poor
    Learn from everyone, that's what life is for
    And don't you let nobody drag your spirit down

Eric Bibb

I'm Craig.

Quote Originally Posted by hifinutt View Post
    fantastic craig , glad its working well . enjoyed a lovely christmas in torquay [ although not the train journey there !!} wonderful place to live and well connected by roads making getting kit a bit easier . there was some amazing shindo stuff in torquay recently . very rare

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Shindo-Ap...=20001&mkevt=1
    A bit rich for my tastes nowadays!
    Bluesound Node 2i
    B&W DM607 s2
    Klotz ic’s

I'm Shane.

No need to spend £4k on an amp. Never underestimate some of the affordable stuff.

S.
    Shane Lonergan.

Alex_UK is offline Spotify + Facebook Moderator / Chilled-Out Wino and only here for the shilling

I'm WrappingALilacCurtainAroundMyBobby.

Nice to see you fall off the wagon, Craig! I am a big fan of Wharfedale speakers, would love to try some of their higher ranges. Anyway, glad the bug has got you again and you’re enjoying the music.
    Alex

Main System: Digital: HP Laptop/M2Tech Hiface/Logitech Media Server/FLAC; Marantz SA7001 KI Signature SACD Player and other digital stuff into Gatorised Beresford Caiman DAC Vinyl: Garrard 401/SME 3009 SII Improved/Sumiko HS/Nagaoka MP-30
    Amplifier: Rega Brio R. Speakers: Spendor SP1. Cables: Various, mainly Mark Grant.
    Please see "about me" for the rest of my cr@p! Gallery

A.o.S. on Facebook - A.o.S. on Spotify - A.o.S. on Twitter

There is only one way to avoid criticism: do nothing, say nothing and be nothing Aristotle

I'm Lawrence.

I demoed a pair of the Pi 10s many years ago and was very surprised how good they were. Unf the seller wanted to sell them with the Marantz amp for about £500 and I didn't need that so passed. But I never forgot how good they sounded compared to what I had expected.

I'm Craig.

Quote Originally Posted by Lawrence001 View Post
    I demoed a pair of the Pi 10s many years ago and was very surprised how good they were. Unf the seller wanted to sell them with the Marantz amp for about £500 and I didn't need that so passed. But I never forgot how good they sounded compared to what I had expected.
    Having started off my 'Hifi journey' with Wharfedale Super Linton's, and had many other models from the range including the various Diamonds, in fact they are the speakers in my kitchen system, I do admit to being fans of theirs, but these Pi10's are really good.
    The photo I posted is actually the new 'home' of my set up, having been relegated from a position at the side of the wife's beloved gothic? fireplace, I was at first thinking that the combination of the Marantz and Wharfedales wasn't great, the top end seemed very prominent by comparison to their original position, but when I moved them over yesterday I had quite a degree of 'toe in' which after aiming them straight on, and angling the adjustable tweeters out a bit, now sounds good, at least to my ears!
    But like I said, I'm now slowly sliding down that slippery slope wondering what I can buy to improve things minutely!
    I've even spoken to Stan Beresford already!
    The ic's I'm using are the ones that I took to the original Sevenoaks in Nottingham and tested against the then £550 Chord Anthems.
    Older members might remember my lowly sale price of £4 ic's were preferred over the much more expensive Chords!

Anyway, I'm more than happy with my 4mm Van Damme Hifi speaker cable, but please feel free to suggest upgrade paths for me, but I don't want to make it an expensive hobby again, well, not at the minute!
    Bluesound Node 2i
    B&W DM607 s2
    Klotz ic’s

I'm Phil.

4mm van damme is just fine !!

Eric Bibb

I'm Phil.

Quote Originally Posted by southall-1998_mk2 View Post
    No need to spend £4k on an amp. Never underestimate some of the affordable stuff.

S.
    very true . says he just about to demo a 4.4k amp !! but you are right there is some marvellous kit around at good prices

Eric Bibb

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast