+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Thorens TD125 Restoration

I'm Mike.

So moving on, next up i cut a 24mm hole in the armboard, 1st of all by drilling a small 2mm pilot hole then using a hole saw to cut the actual hole. Before fitting the arm I figured out where the phono cable was going to go inside the plinth attached a cable clamp and cut a 12mm hole in the baseboard then attached the feet which are 40mm turned aluminium with a 3mm sorbothaine pad, these are the same type as i've used in the past on my TD160. Before buttoning it all up i removed the bearing and gave it a clean and re lube.

Then i looked to fit the springs back into the correct positions, this is quite important on these decks and is quite straightforward, each of the springs leans inwards a little bit, the idea is the inward slant is aimed towards the bearing this has the effect of centring the top plate in the plinth when it's mounted, the springs are stuck to the rubber mounting seats on the underside of the top plate with a little contact adhesive and stops the springs turning when the adjustment cups are rotated, once dry i re attached the top plate, fitted the arm, then balanced the top plate which is much easier on the TD125 than the TD160, there isn't as much travel but because you're not having to use sockets and wrenches and balance a sub chassis which has an arm poking through it which can catch or generally get in the way it didn't take more than a few minutes. Finally i polished the platter and sub platter using Duraglit which is an awful job and on this deck hasn't given me the results i was hoping for so i'll be taking the platter to a local blacksmith to polish.

Before plugging it in and giving it a spin i checked the tracking force and cartridge alignment.

[IMG]IMG_0033 by mike davis, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]IMG_0042 by mike davis, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]IMG_0321 by mike davis, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]IMG_0331 by mike davis, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]IMG_0329 by mike davis, on Flickr[/IMG]

As the late Colonel Sanders once said
    "I'm too drunk to taste this chicken!!"

I'm shahrin.

Super job Mike. Bravo
    The 2 thorenses look really good
    Whats the model of that Project phonostage ?
    Thorens td124 mk2 / Bokrand AB309/ 103r
    SLAT L75 / Jelco 850S / AT VM740ML
    Marantz CD63 / Bluesound / Musical Paradise 701 II/ ESP 500Hz eXO / PL Prologue 4 and Nord 1UP amps / JK Wynn semiactive NS1000 upgrade
    /ESP 700 Hz eXO / JBL 4333 components

I'm Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by drSM View Post
    Super job Mike. Bravo
    The 2 thorenses look really good
    Whats the model of that Project phonostage ?
    Thanks Shahrin, but it's not a Project Phonostage, it's an EAT E-Glo Petite

I'm Andrew.

Great thread, great read.
    SS
    CD Teac VRDS25X(Audiotuned) DECK 1210 Mat Crystal Audio Mods MN Base/Bearing/Platter+Ebony armboard Feet Isonoe PSU Paul Hynes SR7EHD-27XL/DCSXL Ag DC lead/3 Stage Regs/Recap PCB+No Pitch/Strobe/Light ARM SME V(Kondo Ag Rewire&Tags) MC Cadenza Black FGS CABLES Arm Yannis SPD-4 IC Yannis 222 Litz+Ag bullets Power WAR PRE ATC SCA2 SPEAKERS ATC 50ASL STANDS Atacama PHONO Sugden Masterclass PA4 SUT Ortofon ST80SE POWER PSAudio P10

VALVE
    PRE
    Croft Epoch(Modded) AMP Sondex S100 (Modded) SPEAKERS Tannoy 15"MG+RFC Warwick cabs+ Ref XO + Batpure supertweeters DECK Garrard 301 Mat Teunto Bearings 401(Bastin) Plinth Bamboo Arms 3009/3012 PSU Eagle+Tachometer MC Ag Meister II/FGS + Ortofon SPU MONO CABLES Arm Yannis 420.5 Litz+ SpeakerPC Tripple C+WBT-0681 Ag IC Oyaide FTVS-510 AgWBT 0110Ag Phonostages Paradise(4 Box Mega-Modded) / Croft Musicmaker

I'm shahrin.

Default 125

Quote Originally Posted by Jac Hawk View Post
    Thanks Shahrin, but it's not a Project Phonostage, it's an EAT E-Glo Petite
    Ah ! the designs of the casing, the LEDs and tube covers are similar to my Project DS2 that i assumed it was a higher model....

On image below i have circled screws/bolts at bottom of your blocks .
    do these go all the way thru and fasten onto the chassis ?
    Cheers
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Thorens td124 mk2 / Bokrand AB309/ 103r
    SLAT L75 / Jelco 850S / AT VM740ML
    Marantz CD63 / Bluesound / Musical Paradise 701 II/ ESP 500Hz eXO / PL Prologue 4 and Nord 1UP amps / JK Wynn semiactive NS1000 upgrade
    /ESP 700 Hz eXO / JBL 4333 components

I'm James.

Superb job Mike and the Audiomods arm looks great on that turntable. Your workmanship and finish are fantastic and I think you have produced a great modern upgrade to the original Thorens.

How does it sound?
    Main system : VPI Scout 1.1 / JMW 9T / 2M Black / Croft 25R+ / Croft 7 / Heco Celan GT 702

Second System : Goldring Lenco GL75 / AT95EX / Pioneer SX590 / Spendor SP2

I'm Grant.

indeed, a lovely deck mike; well done.
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by drSM View Post
    Ah ! the designs of the casing, the LEDs and tube covers are similar to my Project DS2 that i assumed it was a higher model....

On image below i have circled screws/bolts at bottom of your blocks .
    do these go all the way thru and fasten onto the chassis ?
    Cheers
    yes they do, they are actually M4 x 40mm bolts if my memory serves me correctly

I'm Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
    Superb job Mike and the Audiomods arm looks great on that turntable. Your workmanship and finish are fantastic and I think you have produced a great modern upgrade to the original Thorens.

How does it sound?
    Thanks for the kind words. I'm not one to put a lot of stock in a deck making much sonic difference to the music as most people hear a new deck with a different cartridge or arm on it in comparison and generally i would go down the avenue that it's the cartridge that makes the biggest difference, then the arm, and as long as the deck is quiet, spins at the right speed and can insulate from external noise then it shouldn't colour or alter the presentation in any way, well I was wrong the TD125 is in my opinion a big step up from my well fettled TD160, the deck gives tighter deeper bass and a slightly wider soundstage, overall it's a very musical deck and for the money is a steal in my opinion.

I'm Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by Wakefield Turntables View Post
    Great thread, great read.
    Thanks Andrew

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast