+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Beresford Caimen SEG vs DA Dacmagic 200m

I'm Dave.

Some positive reviews on the SEG50 chip upgrade from Stan, really chuffed with mine

Thanks Stan
    Amp Rega Elex-R
    CDP Denon DCD 520
    Tuner Teac T-R650 Dab/FM
    Music Player Pioneer N30 Network Player
    DAC Rega Dac-R
    Speakers Q Acoustic Concept 40s
    Speaker Cable Current is Rega FSC Quattro , Fisual S-Flex Studio 2.5mm / Ortofon SPK 100
    Interconnects Van Damme Silver Plated OFC Pro Classic XKE CDP/Tuner & Solid Silver Cyro 99.99% Pure, Dac To Amp
    Headphones AKG K550 mk3
    SUB BK XLS 200

I have 15v Seg / Dorado combo. Demo’d to a friend the other week for work background duties Vs a Dragonfly Red. Said they couldn’t handle working with the Seg - just too involving to leave on on the background while concentrating on something else ��

Need to try this 50 chip for myself.

If sound is the priority then it’s great.

For simplicity / ability to stream via Airplay I’m loving my Nord / Khadas / Arylic streamer but that’s more expensive. Now if Stan adds Airplay to the Beresford, with the Dorado all in the same box things will get really interesting.
    MacBook / Cd6000ki > Beresford SEG + Dorado / Dragonfly Red > Bel Canto / MF X-A1 > Neat Iota / Tannoy R3...

I'm John.

Quote Originally Posted by Theadmans View Post
    I've had the SEG50 upgrade for a couple of weeks now.

My Caiman SEG resides on my bedroom nightstand...

...I listen on Sennheiser HD650 headphones when I go to bed.

The soundstage is amazing - on more than one occasion I have been startled that someone is making noises in the room...

...but it's on the recording in super 3D soundstaging!

I'm sure I never used to get so many out of head experiences with my previous SEG30 chip.

At this rate the Caiman will have to go back into my main lounge Hi-Fi rig.
    Quote Originally Posted by biffo View Post
    Totally agree the SEG 50 increases the soundstage giving a more 3d feel a great upgrade for the money
    Quote Originally Posted by sanchezxxx View Post
    I have 15v Seg / Dorado combo. Demo’d to a friend the other week for work background duties Vs a Dragonfly Red. Said they couldn’t handle working with the Seg - just too involving to leave on on the background while concentrating on something else ��

Need to try this 50 chip for myself.

If sound is the priority then it’s great.

For simplicity / ability to stream via Airplay I’m loving my Nord / Khadas / Arylic streamer but that’s more expensive. Now if Stan adds Airplay to the Beresford, with the Dorado all in the same box things will get really interesting.
    I have found exactly the same, I listen/watch a lot of HD recorded music video's off of my Virgin box as well as DVD music videos from Cream live to Palestrina sung in the Sistine Chapel. Occasionally if looking at my PC an advert/scene comes on a door bell, sounding so realistically like our WiFi door bell I have gone to answerer the door. At other times with the SEG 50 sounds are compelling in the air as if in the room.

From my days of car audio I have David Chesky HQ stereo Test CD's, on one track a group of "musicians" or people making continuous noise enter a long hall/church approach the listener they then proceed to walk around the listeners head 3 times walk away and exit the hall/church via the entry door. In a car with sub's & front rear + door speakers with a parametric graphic equaliser with adjustable time delay needing near perfect phase coherence it worked amazingly well.

I have never heard the CD on any 5.1 or 7.1 domestic set up. I had never had the effect work convincingly in my lounge before even with Caiman SEG42 & Chinese LPSU via my OTA Quad 57's; since Stan completed the clock/caps mods that included the SEG 50 I also added individual phono sockets using 7n OHNO copper wire and buying an MCRU/Long Dog linear PSU all within a few days. Now with SEG 50 & after a couple of weeks playing I was listening to the music tracks on the Chesky CD I thought I would try the effect track to my surprise the effect works convincingly as it was intended to with the SEG50 stereo set up, yes I am very pleased with the SEG 50 etc.
    Last edited by palace; 26-03-2022 at 12:13. Reason: parcel delivery

I'm Dave.

I have an older Caiman. Is the newer SEG+upgrades version available now direct from Stan? If so - how much?

I could be interested, but I'd probably want to go direct to a ready made device, rather than having to buy and then upgrade etc.

I'm assuming also that the SEG versions are considered improvements on the Bushmaster unit which was available at one time, and considered better than my original.
    Dave

I'm John.

Quote Originally Posted by dave2010 View Post
    I have an older Caiman. Is the newer SEG+upgrades version available now direct from Stan? If so - how much?

I could be interested, but I'd probably want to go direct to a ready made device, rather than having to buy and then upgrade etc.

I'm assuming also that the SEG versions are considered improvements on the Bushmaster unit which was available at one time, and considered better than my original.
    Dave that is exactly what I wanted to do however Stan is reluctant to "mod" at first point of sale, he says because having lived with the standard SEG you can easily spot the difference post mod's. I suspect that he prefers to "mod" a Caiman SEG that has settled down.

This route initially seemed unnecessary however the up grades made to the the Caiman SEG. It came back from Stan's with SEG 50 fitted as part of the modifications, at Christmas, as well as the clock, super-caps I added a phono socket upgrade, individual sockets connected to the board with 7n OHNO wire + the addition of an MCRU Long Dog designed linear 15v 2 piece PSU.

This route then made sense, give Stan a call, due to your distance away he might do all at once I live 45 minutes from Stan so no great effort required to give and take. The Caiman SEG and Dorado 3 with mods etc is very pension friendly baring accidents should see me out, I have not heard a Bushmaster, the Caiman SEG with mods is a real improvement on the standard Caiman SEG which according to posts I have read is a big improvement over a Bushmaster with "mods" The Dorado Mk3 is also a must as is a 15v linear PSU.

Read my previous post for specifics...

Link with contact phone number

http://www.homehifi.co.uk/S/tc-7535.htm
    Last edited by palace; 27-03-2022 at 10:38. Reason: more info added

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12