+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 48 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Get a grip ffs.

I'm John.

Perhaps not the best analogy but……….
    So Mark, in general terms, would you agree with the tenant behind

“That depends on whether you would prefer to have accurate information disseminated wherever possible or are quite happy to let people struggle with sorting the probable from the improbable.”

And

“I would argue that the same applies in any case where you have “experts” and knowledge seekers; schools, hospitals, engineering matters to name a few. It is in every body’s interest to have up to date, accurate unbiased and verifiable data wherever possible”

or not?

I don’t consider myself to be firmly in the objectivist or subjectivist camp. I tend towards rational explanations of the world around me in the first instance and repeatable results through testing where possible; failing these, weight of opinion.
    It is true, audio perception is a complicated business and I wouldn’t dream of telling anyone what they can and can’t hear. However, if 1000 people can’t hear something and 5 do I would tend to suspect the hearing of the 5 rather than the 1000.
    Single spur balanced Mains. Self built music server with 3 seperate linear PSU, Intel i5, 16 GB RAM no hard drive (various Linux OS). Benchmark Dac2 HGC, single ended XLR interconnects/Belkin cable. Exposure 21RC Pre, Super 18 Power (recap & modified). Modded World Audio HD83 HP amp. Hand built Monitors with external crossovers , Volt 250 bass & ABR, Scanspeak 13M8621 Mid & Scanspeak D2905/9300 Hi. HD595 & Beyer 880 (600 ohm) cans.

The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.
    -Bertrand Russel

John.

Location: North Cambs UK, Earth, Sol, Orion - Cygnus arm of galaxy

I'm MadeOfDeadGiantStarsThatExplodedEonsAgo.

Quote Originally Posted by Welder View Post
    So Mark, in general terms, would you agree with the tenant behind

“That depends on whether you would prefer to have accurate information disseminated wherever possible or are quite happy to let people struggle with sorting the probable from the improbable.”

And

“I would argue that the same applies in any case where you have “experts” and knowledge seekers; schools, hospitals, engineering matters to name a few. It is in every body’s interest to have up to date, accurate unbiased and verifiable data wherever possible”

or not?
    Oh i agree with that wholeheartedly

I happen to be a member of a certain forum that discusses shall we say scientifically proven stuff Occasionally members join that in all honesty don't know what the hell they are taking about but like to think they do, but what's worse is that these people are often giving advice to others who admit they don't know

The thing is this... If i don't know i'll either shut up or ask questions in an attempt to try to understand (if i'm interested). As i'm sure you're aware there are way more than enough people out there on forums or whatever that will just jump in & give erroneous information thinking they are doing someone else a favour

These idiots need weeding out (& banning or at least being asked to STFU) imo, especially if they are mentioning anything to do with working with potentially lethal voltages

As we are discussing cables right this second i don't mind chirping up

Seriously though i know exactly where you are coming from
    Bests, Mark

"We must believe in free will. We have no choice" Isaac Bashevis Singer

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

Guys, remember that this man uses a Naim system with DBL's. I could be wrong, but Naim systems have traditionally used un-shielded interconnects which pick up all sorts of interference given the chance - from experience here... Heck, the interconnect to the 250's used to be three core mains cable into a plastic XLR. heaven knows what's going on there
    Tear down these walls; Cut the ties that held me
    Crying out at the top of my voice; Tell me now if you can hear me

I'm John.

Yes, possibly, but….
    As I understand it this is a connection from a NAS drive to the Naim setup.

Even if in theory a very small amount of distortion was present just how likely is it that it would be audible to anything except a bloody bat!

Frankly, the whole tone of the article stinks.
    Oh well, one of many in my experience
    Single spur balanced Mains. Self built music server with 3 seperate linear PSU, Intel i5, 16 GB RAM no hard drive (various Linux OS). Benchmark Dac2 HGC, single ended XLR interconnects/Belkin cable. Exposure 21RC Pre, Super 18 Power (recap & modified). Modded World Audio HD83 HP amp. Hand built Monitors with external crossovers , Volt 250 bass & ABR, Scanspeak 13M8621 Mid & Scanspeak D2905/9300 Hi. HD595 & Beyer 880 (600 ohm) cans.

The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.
    -Bertrand Russel

John.

the writings of the journalist in question, from his contributions to flat earth publications such as HFReview and into the present day, should always be read with very very healthy dose of scepticism.

I have now stopped reading HFC as well.

BigMooG (Jonathan Stanley)
    He says: Decca is Better

Vinyl System: Superficial Engineering hell/p12 turntable (British Leyland suspension upgrade), Jack-a-nori semi mono Cartridge (tooth pick cantilever), STI Klynik XXX tonearm (rewired with Klimacs Kable ), intelligence quotient 161 (mensa) preamplifier with 224 NOS Ssangyong ECC88s and NOS North Korean kim-jong-ill GZ34s, barelyaudible research V.P.L. dual quad mono amplifiers with modified circuit boards (MDF), Gilson W.A.L.L.O.P Ultimate Final V2 loudspeakers, uranium cable loom (mercury vapour upgrade), hysterical research and Dr Mike Amera room treatments-flock wallpaper, yergota bee-joking cryofrozen fuses throughout

Digital system: cd player

I'm Dave.

I'm not generally in favour of articles which put forward views which are scientifically unjustifiable. However it might be worth reading this follow up article - http://www.malcolmsteward.co.uk/?p=2495

It may well be that the changes mentioned, assuming they existed, were due to other parts of the system which were poorly screened. In a well designed system digital noise should have little or no effect, but not all systems are well designed. I'd say that there's just a chance that the effects mentioned were reported correctly, and in that case something else in the system wasn't ideal.
    Dave

Quote:
    increased naturalness
    WTF!!!
    This is nothing more than a badly-worded yet perfectly valid subjective response.

Remember that you don't need any of these so-called "experts" when you can trust your ears. You won't get far in your quest for hi-fi musical nirvana if you choose to rely on the opinion of others to make your own choices. The opinions of others, as found here, are useful pointers but there is only ever going to be one set of ears that will be the final arbiter and they are your own.

Consumer champions are superfluous in this industry except in such parameters as safety, VFM and reliability.

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

Ones ears are the most untrustworthy things out there and the mind behind them the most easily fooled. It's been proven time and time again damnit.

I love the story of the people asked to compare different interconnects, from a basic patch-cord to a 1" hosepipe claiming all sorts. the listeners heard HUGE differences apparently, especially when the hosepipe was "used," yet apparently, the only cable used in this test was the basic one, together with a swich that was actually disconnected.

Sorry, I need proper verification that things do what they do. There's still more than enough leeway to hear things even so..
    Tear down these walls; Cut the ties that held me
    Crying out at the top of my voice; Tell me now if you can hear me

I'm joe.

What cracks me up is subjectivists who say 'your ears are the only real arbiter of what constitutes good sound', then get all het up when someone, reporting their own listening experience, criticises the subjectivists own favourite component.

What cracks me up is subjectivists who say 'your ears are the only real arbiter of what constitutes good sound', then get all het up when someone, reporting their own listening experience, criticises the subjectivists own favourite component.
    Not true. A good subjectivist should always acknowledge the validity of the findings of others based on their own experience. I would only get 'het up' if my own findings were being questioned because they did not conform to someone else's belief set that wasn't in itself based on personal experience.

DSJR,

If you don't trust your ears there is no point. You may as well sell the lot and buy something for 200 quid all-in from Currys or PC World. Or splash out a bit more on ADM9s.

I love the story of the people asked to compare different interconnects, from a basic patch-cord to a 1" hosepipe claiming all sorts. the listeners heard HUGE differences apparently, especially when the hosepipe was "used," yet apparently, the only cable used in this test was the basic one, together with a swich that was actually disconnected.
    If they actually used their ears this wouldn't happen.

Now, look at the banner on top. Is the yellow around the lettering the same shade as that either side of the whole banner?

Now look again.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 48 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast