+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Good afternoon all

I'm stuart.

Default Good afternoon all

Just joined the art of sound and looking forward to reading all the posts. Started out on the HiFi road when i was 15, with a Quad 33/303 and worked up from there. Love blues, jazz, live albums. Favourite speakers are electrostatics/panels.

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Good Afternoon Stuart and welcome to AoS.

Wow! - you certainly started on the HIFi road with a bang! Quad 33/303 (and electrostatics?) were state of the art in the '60s. It took me many years to reach that level of audio excellence, though I have used Quad ESLs for the last 45 years and wouldn't change them now. (Also have a 33/303 tucked away as a spare amp.)

We have many Jazz and Blues lovers here and have a separate thread: https://theartofsound.net/forum/foru...z-n-Blues-Club, for Members to post their favourite recordings.

One last thing - can you be a bit more specific regarding your location? We don't want to know you address, but the 'United Kingdom' is a bit vague; just name the nearest city or the county in which you live.

Welcome again, enjoy the Forum
    Barry
    Barry

I'm Geoff.

Hi Stuart. Welcome to AOS.

Yes, the Quad set-up was a good starting point in Hi-Fi and for some, nice enough to stick with.

Join in the chat, there's plenty going on and everybody is friendly.

Enjoy the forum,
    Geoff.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm stuart.

Hi Barry

Initially used them with Monitor Audio MA3 mk2 and then got a pair of ESL 57's and absolutely loved them. Stuck with those for many years and then swapped over to Martin Logan CLS. looking back, it was a huge mistake, as they needed Audio Research or similar to drive them and with those came a massive price tag

I'm stuart.

Thanks Geoff, looking forward to it!

I'm stuart.

Sorry Barry, London. Hope you still have the ESL's, got mine from an uncle who had them in his garage for years. I drove up to Quad in Huntingdon to get them serviced and new grilles, side strips, feet etc. Many fond memories pf them!

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Hi Stuart,

Yes, I still have my Quad ESLs. They were my second speakers (started with a pair of home built speakers following a distributed port Wharfedale design, using the Wharfedale RS10DD drive units). But I always lusted after a pair of Quads, so my wife bought me a pair as a wedding present and I have used them ever since. And despite their shortcomings I'm unlikely to change them now, but if I did it would be for another set of electrostatics, most likely Martin Logans.

Again, I have visited Quad in Huntingdon to have one of the speakers checked out and whilst there had a guided tour of the factory.

Apropos your location, can you edit your profile for us? We can't do it ourselves.

Cheers
    Barry
    Barry

I'm Christopher.

Hello Stuart and Welcome to AOS
    Best Wishes
    Christopher D
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Main System: Vinyl - Technics SL1200 Mk1, Technics Mk2 Headshell , Audio Technica AT_VM95C, Cambridge Audio Azur 551P Phono Stage: CD - Marantz CD 6005: Amp - Cambridge Audio Azur 351A: Speakers - B&W DM600
    Second System (WIP) : CD - NAD C 521i : Cassette - Technics RS-BX404: Amp - Technics SU-V470 PXS : Speakers - Wharfdale Laser 60
    Streaming: Audio Interface - Focusrite Scarlett 8i6: Active Monitors - Adam Audio T5V

Alex_UK is offline Spotify + Facebook Moderator / Chilled-Out Wino and only here for the shilling

I'm WrappingALilacCurtainAroundMyBobby.

Hi Stuart, welcome from me too. I’ve never owned electrostatics, but have experienced them. The first time was in about 1989 when I visited a friends house for the first time and his dad had a fantastic Quad setup (mind you he did own a chain of electronics shops) and I remember them being rather good. Then he took me into “the barn” and I saw the Lamborghini, Ferrari, Aston Martin and several other rather amazing cars he owned, but that’s another story!

Anyway, nice to “meet” you and enjoy AoS.
    Alex

Main System: Digital: HP Laptop/M2Tech Hiface/Logitech Media Server/FLAC; Marantz SA7001 KI Signature SACD Player and other digital stuff into Gatorised Beresford Caiman DAC Vinyl: Garrard 401/SME 3009 SII Improved/Sumiko HS/Nagaoka MP-30
    Amplifier: Rega Brio R. Speakers: Spendor SP1. Cables: Various, mainly Mark Grant.
    Please see "about me" for the rest of my cr@p! Gallery

A.o.S. on Facebook - A.o.S. on Spotify - A.o.S. on Twitter

There is only one way to avoid criticism: do nothing, say nothing and be nothing Aristotle

I'm stuart.

Hi Barry, the Martin Logans are probably more room/wife friendly, as narrower and taller. Had a pair of Audiostatic ES100's for a few years, also beautiful speakers, but need Krell/ Audio Research etc to drive them. Also got a tour of the Quad factory whilst there. They took a week to refurbish them, but well worth the wait!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast