+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Waiting for my SEG 50

I'm TAD.

I've had a SEG50/Dorado III since the end of May this year. FWIW, less sibilance and more bass, or to put it another way, had to adjust bass output on the REL's by a notch down. Using with a Cyrus CD8SE, yep, still going after all these years. Earlier this year, I installed a replacement tray motor and housing (eBay special) and internal signal cables. Many thanks to Cyrus for sending spare cables. A1 ++ service. I think I received the last of their stock. Should keep me going for a bit.

I'm Dave.

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewR View Post
    Is it worthwhile moving from 42 to 50 on my Dorado I Caiman MkII? The jump to the 42 was outstandingly musical.

Andrew
    Can only say the Jump from 30 to 50 was so different to me, so my answer would be YES Andrew
    Amp Rega Elex-R
    CDP Denon DCD 520
    Tuner Teac T-R650 Dab/FM
    Music Player Pioneer N30 Network Player
    DAC Rega Dac-R
    Speakers Q Acoustic Concept 40s
    Speaker Cable Current is Rega FSC Quattro , Fisual S-Flex Studio 2.5mm / Ortofon SPK 100
    Interconnects Van Damme Silver Plated OFC Pro Classic XKE CDP/Tuner & Solid Silver Cyro 99.99% Pure, Dac To Amp
    Headphones AKG K550 mk3
    SUB BK XLS 200

Quote Originally Posted by Theadmans View Post
    Stan - I have a Dorado MK1 (or possibly MK2 has a blue LED) running at 16v from an adjustable Chinese Linear PSU...

...I think you told me that it is OK to whack up the driving PSU to 16v.

Anyway it has been working happilly like this for a couple of years...

...the SEG I have had a lot of your upgrades but is still runnng on SEG 30 - is this a suitable candidate for upgrade to SEG 50?

BTW the SEG gets most use driving my Sennheiser HD650 headphones.
    Yes the SEG-50 works with the Dorado I and II as well.
    I have to check how many chips I still have left. There is a shortage of chips on the market that is affecting manufacturing worldwide. Prices are climbing as mad as a consequence.

I'm TAD.

Hi there Stan, Still have some old SEG30 chips which I kept after the last update. Can these be reprogrammed if there is ever an update from the SEG 50??

I'm Graeme.

Quote Originally Posted by TAD12 View Post
    Hi there Stan, Still have some old SEG30 chips which I kept after the last update. Can these be reprogrammed if there is ever an update from the SEG 50??
    I think many people will have previous versions of the chip, I know I have 2 or 3 from upgrades over the years. I'd be happy to send them back to Stan if he can re-use them. I am also interested in V50.

By all means send any old firmware chips back. It will help a great deal. Just make sure no legs are broken...

I'm Dave.

Now have about 30hrs with the SEG50 upgrade and my thoughts are inline with the initial test.

A test on tracks I know well from Fleetwood Mac, including vocals from Christine McVie really shine through, treble on female voices are superb, and there is a increase in the bass, separation of instruments is improved to me and the sound stage is like your there, and you can hear the full depth of the Band.

Have to say with the SEG 50 upgrade I don't see any point in looking at possible upgrades of DACs, I'm sure you'd end up spending £1000+ and more to say yes thats a upgrade, or possible you won't.

If you've not heard one of Stans Latest Dac's with the SEG50 chip, running at 15v from a Linear PSU, fed from Stans Durado Enhancer, I suggest you do. I also did a back to back with a new Cambridge Audio DacMagic 200m here https://theartofsound.net/forum/show...-Dacmagic-200m if you've just bought a new C.A Dacmagic 200m, and you audition one of Stans you'll be disappointed.

Well done again Stan.
    Amp Rega Elex-R
    CDP Denon DCD 520
    Tuner Teac T-R650 Dab/FM
    DAC Rega Dac-R
    Speaker Cable Current is Rega FSC Quattro , Fisual S-Flex Studio 2.5mm / Ortofon SPK 100
    Interconnects Van Damme Silver Plated OFC Pro Classic XKE CDP/Tuner & Solid Silver Cyro 99.99% Pure, Dac To Amp
    Headphones AKG K550 mk3
    SUB BK XLS 200

I'm Graeme.

Just got my SEG 50 chip (ordered on Monday the 20th, delivered on Christmas eve). Great service as always from Stan. Only just plugged it in, so can't give a serious review, but it does sound pretty good from the get go, nice rich sound on a Claire Martin track. I also have Dorado II and Chinese LPSU running at 15v if that's of any interest.

I'm Dave.

[QUOTE=Desmo;1304205]Just got my SEG 50 chip (ordered on Monday the 20th, delivered on Christmas eve). Great service as always from Stan. Only just plugged it in, so can't give a serious review, but it does sound pretty good from the get go, nice rich sound on a Claire Martin track. I also have Dorado II and Chinese LPSU running at 15v if that's of any interest.

Ideal setup Desmo
    Amp Rega Elex-R
    CDP Denon DCD 520
    Tuner Teac T-R650 Dab/FM
    DAC Rega Dac-R
    Headphones AKG K550 mk3
    SUB BK XLS 200

I'm Adam.

I rang Stan on Tuesday and asked for a SEG50 chip...

...got it in the post on Thursday - great service considering the postal delays at Xmas.

Fitted after a few minutes trying to tease the chip legs into the socket.

Checked that it is working and all is good - critical listening will have to wait.
    Adam.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast