+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Waiting for my SEG 50

I'm Dave.

Default Waiting for my SEG 50

Wondered if anyone has upgraded their Caimens firmware to the latest SEG 50 and what you thought?
    Mines still on SEG 30 from when I bought it at the tail end of 2019.

Mines with Royal Fail now for 7 days and stuck in the Christmas rush, mind you their not better the rest of the year down in the Southwest.
    Amp Rega Elex-R
    CDP Denon DCD 520
    Tuner Teac T-R650 Dab/FM
    Music Player Pioneer N30 Network Player
    DAC Rega Dac-R
    Speakers Q Acoustic Concept 40s
    Speaker Cable Current is Rega FSC Quattro , Fisual S-Flex Studio 2.5mm / Ortofon SPK 100
    Interconnects Van Damme Silver Plated OFC Pro Classic XKE CDP/Tuner & Solid Silver Cyro 99.99% Pure, Dac To Amp
    Headphones AKG K550 mk3
    SUB BK XLS 200

I'm Adam.

So what is SEG 50 supposed to bring?

...I can't find any reference to it in the technical firmware section of Stan's site.

Like you I still have SEG 30 firmware.
    Adam.

I'm Jerry.

I have the SEG 42-A firmware. Interested what the SEG-50 improves.

I'm Dave.

I'll let you know if Royal Fail ever deliver my SEG 50 chip, 8 days and counting
    Amp Rega Elex-R
    CDP Denon DCD 520
    Tuner Teac T-R650 Dab/FM
    DAC Rega Dac-R
    Speaker Cable Current is Rega FSC Quattro , Fisual S-Flex Studio 2.5mm / Ortofon SPK 100
    Interconnects Van Damme Silver Plated OFC Pro Classic XKE CDP/Tuner & Solid Silver Cyro 99.99% Pure, Dac To Amp
    Headphones AKG K550 mk3
    SUB BK XLS 200

I'm Dave.

You'll have to wait a bit longer for the results on the SEG 50 upgrade chip, Mines gone missing by the looks of it by those useless people I call ROYAL FAIL, rubbish down here in Cornwall, worst courier we have. Stan refunded me the cost first thing this morning (Cheers Stan) and we'll wait till after Christmas and the New Year and have another go to see if ROYAL FAIL can get one down.
    Amp Rega Elex-R
    CDP Denon DCD 520
    Tuner Teac T-R650 Dab/FM
    DAC Rega Dac-R
    Headphones AKG K550 mk3
    SUB BK XLS 200

I'm Dave.

Just reordered a SEG 50 upgrade chip, can't wait for the new year and hopefully this one will get here ?

Come on Royal Fail !!!!
    Amp Rega Elex-R
    CDP Denon DCD 520
    Tuner Teac T-R650 Dab/FM
    DAC Rega Dac-R
    Headphones AKG K550 mk3
    SUB BK XLS 200

I'm Dave.

Spoke to Stan and he went out his way to get another Seg 50 chip down to me, this time it arrived.

5 min job to change it over from the original SEG 30 as supplied at the time of purchase.

On to the initial test, played several tracks I'm very familiar with and I need a longer test to comment fully on differences, what I will say is anyone changing to a SEG 50 who has the durado and a linear PSU set at 15v, you can hear its not the same, in a good way.
    Initially I would say the bass has more punch, and my Rega amp has no tone controls, I had to look twice to make sure my sub is turned off, and a couple of female voice tracks its seemed to have better control on the higher octave women can reach, thus avoiding teeth gritting moments

I will do my best to try and give a better review once I've put a lot more hours on it.
    Amp Rega Elex-R
    CDP Denon DCD 520
    Tuner Teac T-R650 Dab/FM
    DAC Rega Dac-R
    Headphones AKG K550 mk3
    SUB BK XLS 200

Quote Originally Posted by Theadmans View Post
    So what is SEG 50 supposed to bring?

...I can't find any reference to it in the technical firmware section of Stan's site.

Like you I still have SEG 30 firmware.
    I tend not to go into details about the updates. I just don't want my competitors to figure out how I did certain things. But my usual guarantee still applies. If you can't hear any improvement between the 30 and the 50, a refund of the cost of the 50 is quickly sorted out.

I'm Adam.

Stan - I have a Dorado MK1 (or possibly MK2 has a blue LED) running at 16v from an adjustable Chinese Linear PSU...

...I think you told me that it is OK to whack up the driving PSU to 16v.

Anyway it has been working happily like this for a couple of years...

...the SEG I have had a lot of your upgrades but is still runing on SEG 30 - is this a suitable candidate for upgrade to SEG 50?

BTW the SEG gets most use driving my Sennheiser HD650 headphones.
    Last edited by Theadmans; 17-12-2021 at 16:47.
    Adam.

I'm AndrewR.

Is it worthwhile moving from 42 to 50 on my Dorado I Caiman MkII? The jump to the 42 was outstandingly musical.

Andrew
    Andrew Randle

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast