+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Audioquest interconnect cable direction question

I'm JP.

Default Audioquest interconnect cable direction question

I have a pair of vintage (mid-90s) Audioquest interconnects which have the AQ logo on both end plugs and an extra black line printed on one end plug.

Can someone remind me which end should go to the source as I have forgotten...!

I hope this is posted in the right place.

Many thanks

I'm Geoff.

Moved from Blank Canvas section to The Artist's Pallette where cable chat belongs.

As to which way round they should go, I doubt it makes the slightest difference and certainly won't hurt anything if 'wrong'.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Brian.

Usually in the direction of the writing. As Geoff says, though, it won't hurt anything if wrong so try them in both directions and see which sounds better to your ears
    Regards
    Brian

Sell your cleverness and buy bewilderment . (Rumi )

Korus Computer Audio music server
    JustBoom DAC . HRT Musicstreamer 2
    Amplifier : Sony TA FB740R
    Speakers : Tannoy 637
    Interconnects : MS Audio / Klotz MC5000 .
    Speaker cables : Western Electric 16AG

I'm Adam.

Or go rogue and put one of them one round and the other one the other way.
    Engineers: fixing problems you didn't know you had in ways you don't understand.

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Just use your ears.
    Barry

I'm charles.

You will probably find the cables have a screen which is soldered at one end only which usually is attached to the source. The other end is left floating. Unscrew the outer part of the connectors and you'll be able to see which end is which. That orientation is claimed to be the quietest way to hook them up. The direction of the writing is not a reliable indication of the source end. Yup another lack of consistency in this hobby.

In almost every instance I have found analogue IC's sound best without a screen. If upon inspection you find two inner conductors, that is signal and return, and if you are prepared to butcher your cables, remove outer jacket and snip off the soldered end and remove screen whether braided or served. If the screen is used as a conductor then obviously leave them alone.

One of two things may be apparent. You might hear some hiss or other form of noise which seldom happens, or you will hear a more informative and dynamic sound.
    Last edited by sailor; 08-01-2022 at 18:05.

I'm Pete.

yes ....all my best cables I built over a number of years had no screen. I was prepared to accept a little rfi/emi for a larger gain in sound quality. With a grounded screen the signal always seemed to sounds muffled and undynamic.

I'm charles.

I think Barry's reply is just silly.

Please don't try this, it's much safer to use your hands

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Quote Originally Posted by sailor View Post
    I think Barry's reply is just silly.

Please don't try this, it's much safer to use your hands
    I was suggesting he try listening to the cables running in one direction, then reverse the direction and listen again. Afterwards, choose the preferred direction.
    Barry

+ Reply to Thread