+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bamboo - Suitability as a TT plinth?

I'm Ken.

Default Bamboo - Suitability as a TT plinth?

I'm toying with the idea of a new Turntable project and considering what I might make a plinth from.
    Done Concrete and Birch Ply in the past, looking a bit outside the box.

I came across the IKEA Aptitlig Butchers Block £15 each.
    45 x 36 x 3.3cm constructed of Bamboo strips.

Glue 3 of these together and you have a 100mm thick plinth roughly the right size for a turntable.

The weight of this triple layered block would be 9.5Kg (20.9 lbs) before any cut outs, so quite heavy.

Bamboo is a fibrous materiel and in this laminated construction is very rigid.

Has anyone got experience of this material as a plinth ?
    Wondering what its acoustic/damping properties might be.

Edit:
    I came accross this by "cats squirrel" on vinylengine.com

"I have looked at the suitability of bamboo products for use in hifi builds. The resinated bamboo, available in many forms, looks a good product, for use in plinths, supports and as seen above, loudspeaker boxes. I have measured the damping factor of resinated bamboo, and obtained a figure of about 0.2, that is over 10 times better than mdf, and even over twice as good as Torlyte, the Russ Andrews' product.
    I use a resinated bamboo chopping board under a Lenco plinth, and that is spiked to a 'Chinese Go' board, made from three layers of tiny resinated bamboo tiles. They serve their purpose well."

Edit:
    I also found a company making Bamboo plinths for LP12's so I think I've answered my own question.
    Last edited by Qwin; 05-12-2021 at 20:31. Reason: Quote added/LP12 added

I'm Gary.

I use this material for shelves on my rack and think it would be perfect for a plinth. If you could cross laminate it maybe even better.

Gary

Quote Originally Posted by Qwin View Post
    I'm toying with the idea of a new Turntable project and considering what I might make a plinth from.
    Done Concrete and Birch Ply in the past, looking a bit outside the box.

I came across the IKEA Aptitlig Butchers Block £15 each.
    45 x 36 x 3.3cm constructed of Bamboo strips.

Glue 3 of these together and you have a 100mm thick plinth roughly the right size for a turntable.

The weight of this triple layered block would be 9.5Kg (20.9 lbs) before any cut outs, so quite heavy.

Bamboo is a fibrous materiel and in this laminated construction is very rigid.

Has anyone got experience of this material as a plinth ?
    Wondering what its acoustic/damping properties might be.

Edit:
    I came accross this by "cats squirrel" on vinylengine.com

"I have looked at the suitability of bamboo products for use in hifi builds. The resinated bamboo, available in many forms, looks a good product, for use in plinths, supports and as seen above, loudspeaker boxes. I have measured the damping factor of resinated bamboo, and obtained a figure of about 0.2, that is over 10 times better than mdf, and even over twice as good as Torlyte, the Russ Andrews' product.
    I use a resinated bamboo chopping board under a Lenco plinth, and that is spiked to a 'Chinese Go' board, made from three layers of tiny resinated bamboo tiles. They serve their purpose well."

Edit:
    I also found a company making Bamboo plinths for LP12's so I think I've answered my own question.
    It is easier to seek forgiveness than to ask permission

Rules are meant for the obedience of fools and the guidance of wise men

I'm Andrew.

SS
    CD Teac VRDS25X(Audiotuned) DECK 1210 Mat Crystal Audio Mods MN Base/Bearing/Platter+Ebony armboard Feet Isonoe PSU Paul Hynes SR7EHD-27XL/DCSXL Ag DC lead/3 Stage Regs/Recap PCB+No Pitch/Strobe/Light ARM SME V(Kondo Ag Rewire&Tags) MC Cadenza Black FGS CABLES Arm Yannis SPD-4 IC Yannis 222 Litz+Ag bullets Power WAR PRE ATC SCA2 SPEAKERS ATC 50ASL STANDS Atacama PHONO Sugden Masterclass PA4 SUT Ortofon ST80SE POWER PSAudio P10

VALVE
    PRE
    Croft Epoch(Modded) AMP Sondex S100 (Modded) SPEAKERS Tannoy 15"MG+RFC Warwick cabs+ Ref XO + Batpure supertweeters DECK Garrard 301 Mat Teunto Bearings 401(Bastin) Plinth Bamboo Arms 3009/3012 PSU Eagle+Tachometer MC Ag Meister II/FGS + Ortofon SPU MONO CABLES Arm Yannis 420.5 Litz+ SpeakerPC Tripple C+WBT-0681 Ag IC Oyaide FTVS-510 AgWBT 0110Ag Phonostages Paradise(4 Box Mega-Modded) / Croft Musicmaker

I'm Ken.

Quote Originally Posted by Wakefield Turntables View Post

I'm loheswaran.

Artemis Labs use Bamboo inn the plinth - superb turntable btw

I'm Ken.

This is my on going project, using 40mm thick slabs of Bamboo Kitchen worktop.
    https://www.jkwynn.co.uk/Lenco/Lenco_Thumbs.html

I'm loheswaran.

Excellent work

I'm shahrin.

yeah excellent work Ken and nice write up.
    Thorens td124 mk2 / Bokrand AB309/ 103r
    SLAT L75 / Jelco 850S / AT VM740ML
    Marantz CD63 / Bluesound / Musical Paradise 701 II/ ESP 500Hz eXO / PL Prologue 4 and Nord 1UP amps / JK Wynn semiactive NS1000 upgrade
    /ESP 700 Hz eXO / JBL 4333 components

I'm Ken.

Thanks guys.
    You should do a write up on the three decks you are building Shahrin.

I'm Bruce.

Quote Originally Posted by Qwin View Post
    This is my on going project, using 40mm thick slabs of Bamboo Kitchen worktop.
    https://www.jkwynn.co.uk/Lenco/Lenco_Thumbs.html
    This is a better choice than the Ikea Aptitlig which has somewhat random gaps in it's layers. Fine as a whole shelf but start cutting into it more than an inch from the edge and you may or may not get what you expect.

Your project and writeup look great, by the way!
    Bruce

Theories are not so much answers as questions, to be supported or undermined by experience & testing.

Source: Audiolab 6000CDT > Calyx 24/192 DAC
    Amplification: Pass-design B1rev2 pre-amplifier > Neurochrome Modulus 686.
    Loudspeakers: Proac Response 1SC
    Cables/stands: spkr: MIT MH-750 biwire; IC: HT Truthlink; Target stands, sand-filled; Excel Cat6A 23AWG UFTP & 1attack.de Cat.7 SFTP.
    Other: Balanced AC transformer to hydra mains distr; Bass traps & Acoustic panels; Isolation: Inner tube & roller bearings; 3xZyxel ES104A switches in series w/Vreg upgrades.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast