+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Roxy Music at half speed

I'm John.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    Yes I have a couple of his Tull remasters, all shiny and sparkly but they don't sound like the albums I got used to over all the years previously.
    I purchased Songs From the Wood and Heavy Horses, both remastered by Wilson, in the hope of having nice new copies, as I've had both since they were released originally. Such a shame that these two albums are bass heavy now and are nowhere near as good as my original copies, both of which sound much better, well they do to my ears anyway. So I agree with you on that point.

Ian Anderson is as much to 'blame' for ruining his own fine work as he is planning, in collaboration with Wilson, to remaster more of his work. He stated this when I saw Tull recently at Poole Lighthouse Theatre. The concert was spoiled, as is often the case, by an overblown bottom end smothering any chance of actually hearing what was actually being played for much of the time. There were quite a few who upped and left the venue.

Oh well, way of the world I suppose.
    Sent by me using an appendage

SME Model 15/V tonearm, Lyra Dorian, EAR Phono Box.

Luxman 509X amp.

PMC 25 23i speakers.

Innuos/Roon/Qobuz/I-Pad. Oppo UDP-205.

Cables by Kimber, Yannis and Audioquest.

Audioquest Niagara. Tube Distinctions Mains power filter. Project RCM. Zerostat.

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by prestonchipfryer View Post
    I purchased Songs From the Wood and Heavy Horses, both remastered by Wilson, in the hope of having nice new copies, as I've had both since they were released originally. Such a shame that these two albums are bass heavy now and are nowhere near as good as my original copies, both of which sound much better, well they do to my ears anyway. So I agree with you on that point.

Ian Anderson is as much to 'blame' for ruining his own fine work as he is planning, in collaboration with Wilson, to remaster more of his work. He stated this when I saw Tull recently at Poole Lighthouse Theatre. The concert was spoiled, as is often the case, by an overblown bottom end smothering any chance of actually hearing what was actually being played for much of the time. There were quite a few who upped and left the venue.

Oh well, way of the world I suppose.
    I have the CD versions of 'Songs From The Wood' and 'Benefit', I'm guessing you are talking about the vinyl version? If so they won't be exactly the same.

Nevertheless my first thoughts on playing 'Benefit' was 'I don't remember all this bass.'

'Songs' is okay bass-wise but it just seems a bit 'shiny' compared to my original press LP. That LP always sounded excellent to me so no idea what they hoped to achieve there.

I have some early 2000s remasters of 'Heavy Horses' and 'Aqualung' and they are fine, but they're not by Steve Wilson I don't think.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm John.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    I'm guessing you are talking about the vinyl version?
    Yes, that's right, the vinyl versions.

I do prefer the originals.
    Sent by me using an appendage

SME Model 15/V tonearm, Lyra Dorian, EAR Phono Box.

Luxman 509X amp.

PMC 25 23i speakers.

Innuos/Roon/Qobuz/I-Pad. Oppo UDP-205.

Cables by Kimber, Yannis and Audioquest.

Audioquest Niagara. Tube Distinctions Mains power filter. Project RCM. Zerostat.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123