+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Roxy Music at half speed

I'm openingabottleofwine.

IME, a lot of of the so-called remastered versions sound poor when compared to the original vinyl versions. I think it might have to do with the fact that listeners now hear stuff on their iPhones etc., so the remastering is done to optimise the replay format.

However that said, some of the RVG (Rudy Van Gelder) remastering of Blue Note tapes for CD issue are excellent: the sheer sense of the performers presence is palpable.
    Barry

I'm Steve.

Regarding vinyl prices then and now:

Early 1973 (I was 15 so a late starter) I bought my first album, "Electric Warrior". Paid £2.49.

At the time a pint of Thwaites bitter at my local (I was an early starter) was 15p.

That's nearly 17 pints for the price of an album. Assuming the same beer to cost about £3 now, I could only buy about 7 pints for the price of an album (£21). When I started work a year later, the older blokes where I worked earned about £35 a week, which at about £3.50 each would get 10 records. Going on whatever minimum wage is now (say £9 an hour), a 40 hour week would buy about 15 records.

Whichever way I look at it, vinyl is cheaper than it used to be, by a fair bit. It's the low cost of alternative formats that make it seem bad.

What I really take from this is how shockingly expensive beer has become
    I just dropped in, to see what condition my condition was in

T/T: Inspire Monarch, X200 tonearm, Ortofon Quintet Blue. Phono: Project Tube Box CD: Marantz CD6006 (UK Edition); Amp: Musical Fidelity A5 Integrated.
    Speakers: Zu Omen Def, REL T9i subwoofer. Cables: Atlas Equator interconnects, Atlas Hyper 3.0 speaker cables

T'other system:
    Echo Dot, Amptastic Mini One,Arcam A75 integrated, Celestion 5's, BK XLS-200 DF

A/V:
    LG 55" OLED, Panasonic Blu Ray, Sony a/v amp, MA Radius speakers, REL Storm sub

Forget the past, it's gone. And don't worry about the future, it doesn't exist. There is only NOW.

KICKSTARTER: ENABLING SCAMMERS SINCE 2009

I'm Martin.

beer was 69p a pint when I started (70p if you wanted to drink in the lounge) and records were £5

I earned £10 a day so £50 a week is ten albums - that was 1985 so looks like the beer/vinyl price relationship was static for at least a decade.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Geoff.

This lot belongs in the 'Are You Knocking On a Bit' thread (along with your Max Bygraves records )!
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Martin.

does anyone have the half speed remaster of 'Lingalonga Max'?

There's an original pressing somewhere at my mother's house. Would really like to see Steve Wilson turn his attention to this instead of wasting his time on King Crimson et al.
    Current Lash Up:

I'm guy.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    send it back to Abbey Road and ask them to do it again, £90 per track (ex VAT)

https://www.abbeyroad.com/online-mastering
    I am surprised by this - would have thought that there were loads of potential copyright issues
    LP12, Ittok (black), DV10X5, NVA Phono 2 (twin supply), NVAP50, Art Audio Quintet 15w power amp, NVA LS5 cable, Rega Ela mk1's.
    Sony CDP XB930.

I'm John.

does anyone have the half speed remaster of 'Lingalonga Max'?

There's an original pressing somewhere at my mother's house. Would really like to see Steve Wilson turn his attention to this instead of wasting his time on King Crimson et al.
    Well it would be just another one to ruin then. Constant messing around ''remastering'' often ends in an inferior result.

Like many other things are 'improved' or 'upgraded'. Most of it is just tosh and done for the sake of doing it.

Way of the world?
    Sent by me using an appendage

SME Model 15/V tonearm, Lyra Dorian, EAR Phono Box.

Luxman 509X amp.

PMC 25 23i speakers.

Innuos/Roon/Qobuz/I-Pad. Oppo UDP-205.

Cables by Kimber, Yannis and Audioquest.

Audioquest Niagara. Tube Distinctions Mains power filter. Project RCM. Zerostat.

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by guy View Post
    I am surprised by this - would have thought that there were loads of potential copyright issues
    it's a service for people making their own recordings and who want them professionally mastered. From what I can gather anyway.
    Current Lash Up:

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by prestonchipfryer View Post
    Well it would be just another one to ruin then. Constant messing around ''remastering'' often ends in an inferior result.

Like many other things are 'improved' or 'upgraded'. Most of it is just tosh and done for the sake of doing it.

Way of the world?
    Yes I have a couple of his Tull remasters, all shiny and sparkly but they don't sound like the albums I got used to over all the years previously.
    Current Lash Up:

I'm Shaun.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast