+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: FS Trafomatic 300B power amp.

I'm Martin.

Default FS Trafomatic 300B power amp.

Trafomatic Experience 300b power amp for sale £900.

Excellent condition, really well built, heavy with quality transformers.
    Runs almost silently here which is unusual given my electrics.

Had a service approximately two years ago and on recommendation some of the components were upgraded, came back running cooler and performing better.
    Very detailed and transparent sounding amp.

The 6sn7 valves are as new, the rectifier and 300b unknown hours to me. The 300b have been marked with pen to indicate position, I can't see any asymmetry in the circuit, but the bias may need checking when fitting new valves ?

I'm in Chesterfield and really prefer not to post this, though would meet up fairly local.

Thanks mart.

I'm Lawrence.

Have done some research and concluded this is a bargain. Unfortunately I don't have the right speakers to match to it but GLWS.

I'm Steve.

That does look like a lot of 300b loveliness for the money, GLWS. Forgive my ignorance, but why do speaker outlets have 3 posts each?
    I just dropped in, to see what condition my condition was in

T/T: Inspire Monarch, X200 tonearm, Ortofon Quintet Blue. Phono: Project Tube Box CD: Marantz CD6006 (UK Edition); Amp: Musical Fidelity A5 Integrated.
    Speakers: Zu Omen Def, REL T9i subwoofer. Cables: Atlas Equator interconnects, Atlas Hyper 3.0 speaker cables

T'other system:
    Echo Dot, Amptastic Mini One,Arcam A75 integrated, Celestion 5's, BK XLS-200 DF

A/V:
    LG 55" OLED, Panasonic Blu Ray, Sony a/v amp, MA Radius speakers, REL Storm sub

Forget the past, it's gone. And don't worry about the future, it doesn't exist. There is only NOW.

KICKSTARTER: ENABLING SCAMMERS SINCE 2009

I'm Martin.

Thanks all, 4 and 8 ohm taps.

I'm Martin.

Bump.

I'm Martin.

Any interest at £850 ?.

I'm Martin.

Bump.

I'm Chris.

Lovely little 300b amp for anyone getting started on SET amps, but the comments you put about biasing could put off any potential interest with someone not used to valves.

Its a way to get the main valves to run in their optimum range and balanced to each other. Sometime biasing is automatic and other times it needs little pots to be adjusted pretty infrequently using a meter. Its not a big deal

GLWTS
    Source
    SW1X Universal Music Server UMS I Signature with Power Supply Unit PSU I Signature
    SW1X USB II
    SW1X DAC III Special
    Audiolab 6000 CDT transport
    Amps
    Pre amps -- Hi fi Collective twin mono ladder stepped attenuator, with Charcroft Z-foil and silver wired. And First Watt B1 active no gain buffer.
    Power amps -- Welborne 45 SET monoblocks 1.8W / Decware Taboo 6W / Elekit 300B TU-8600SVK plus further improved components 9W / ICE Power 1000W
    Speakers
    Highly modified Endorphin P17 open baffle speakers containing both vintage and modern alnico drivers and paper cones. All silver wired - 8" Cube Audio FC8 full range drivers and vintage 15" Altec VOTT 416 bass drivers. All sat on Townsend Audio Podium seismic isolation platforms.
    BK Electronics XLS400FF Sub.
    Cabling
    Silver mains cables, interconnects and speaker cables by SW1X
    Headphones
    HRT HeadStreamer and SennHeiser HD650 headphones

I'm Martin.

Thanks Chris,
    I have to say I'm a novice when it comes to biasing valves etc.

It was John Wood in Nottingham who serviced the amp (Just before covid )
    He definable swapped out many of the original carbon resistors, and seemed very pleased with how the amp was running.

He was clear that he'd marked the 300b's to indicate their location.
    I don't know if this circuit is fixed bias or not, but I assume he has tweaked the bias somewhere to suit the valves ? without putting a meter on it, I couldn't be sure.
    With its current valves it is certainly running well and sounding very good.

mart.

I'm Chris.

Was just reading the review here.
    https://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/...data%20sheets.

It states "The amplifier runs auto bias to not require adjustments when changing tubes." So the guy that serviced it went overboard by marking the location of the 300b's, but there was no need to.

I think I read that the amp has C Core transformers which is very good
    Source
    SW1X Universal Music Server UMS I Signature with Power Supply Unit PSU I Signature
    SW1X USB II
    SW1X DAC III Special
    Audiolab 6000 CDT transport
    Amps
    Pre amps -- Hi fi Collective twin mono ladder stepped attenuator, with Charcroft Z-foil and silver wired. And First Watt B1 active no gain buffer.
    Power amps -- Welborne 45 SET monoblocks 1.8W / Decware Taboo 6W / Elekit 300B TU-8600SVK plus further improved components 9W / ICE Power 1000W
    Speakers
    Highly modified Endorphin P17 open baffle speakers containing both vintage and modern alnico drivers and paper cones. All silver wired - 8" Cube Audio FC8 full range drivers and vintage 15" Altec VOTT 416 bass drivers. All sat on Townsend Audio Podium seismic isolation platforms.
    BK Electronics XLS400FF Sub.
    Cabling
    Silver mains cables, interconnects and speaker cables by SW1X
    Headphones
    HRT HeadStreamer and SennHeiser HD650 headphones

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast