+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Phono stage suggestions

I'm Ken.

It's pushing your budget, but the Aqvox 2Ci is around 1900 euro. (what I use).
    I picked up a used item for half that price.

Its fully balanced, but I see your amp has a pair of balanced inputs.

Also its a current amplifier, not a voltage amplifier.

MC cartridges put out very small voltages, but relatively healthy current and are basically balanced devices.

Here is a link to a review of a current amplifier that explains the principle: https://www.analogplanet.com/content/current-affair-intriguing-mr-labs-vera-20-mc-phono-preamplifier#:~:text=The%20cartridge's%20voltage%2 0output%20is,the%20greater%20its%20current%20produ ction

Most Aqvox gear is designed for studio work, the 2Ci was developed for checking vinyl masters.
    If you Google it, there are various reviews, from TNT, Stereophile etc.

Its a slightly different path to the other suggestions offered, but worth checking out.

I'm Robin.

Quote Originally Posted by Qwin View Post
    It's pushing your budget, but the Aqvox 2Ci is around 1900 euro. (what I use).
    I picked up a used item for half that price.

Its fully balanced, but I see your amp has a pair of balanced inputs.

Also its a current amplifier, not a voltage amplifier.

MC cartridges put out very small voltages, but relatively healthy current and are basically balanced devices.

Here is a link to a review of a current amplifier that explains the principle: https://www.analogplanet.com/content/current-affair-intriguing-mr-labs-vera-20-mc-phono-preamplifier#:~:text=The%20cartridge's%20voltage%2 0output%20is,the%20greater%20its%20current%20produ ction

Most Aqvox gear is designed for studio work, the 2Ci was developed for checking vinyl masters.
    If you Google it, there are various reviews, from TNT, Stereophile etc.

Its a slightly different path to the other suggestions offered, but worth checking out.
    Thanks ken, not one was aware of but will have a look.
    Regards
    Robin

Acoustic Solid Wood MPX, Ortofon Quintet Bronze
    Pathos Classic Remix Amp, dac
    Cyrus Signature phono stage
    Eversolo DMP-A6
    Cyrus CD i
    ART Stiletto 6V3. Loudspeakers

I'm loheswaran.

Go Whest!
    Phono stages have such a variation - u really need to see if shops will lend you one. I tried a Groove and I couldn’t get on with it in my system.
    See if Bigbottle can loan u a unit

I'm Robin.

Quote Originally Posted by loheswaran View Post
    Go Whest!
    Phono stages have such a variation - u really need to see if shops will lend you one. I tried a Groove and I couldn’t get on with it in my system.
    See if Bigbottle can loan u a unit
    Thanks I will be trying the following to see how it sits in my system.

Electrocompaniet ECP 2 MKII Phono Stage
    Regards
    Robin

Eversolo DMP-A6
    Cyrus CD i

I'm Alan.

The ECP 2 certainly looks good on paper.
    Let us know how you get on.
    I love Hendrix for so many reasons. He was so much more than just a blues guitarist - he played damn well any kind of guitar he wanted. In fact I'm not sure if he even played the guitar - he played music. - Stevie Ray Vaughan

I'm Robin.

Quote Originally Posted by Firebottle View Post
    The ECP 2 certainly looks good on paper.
    Let us know how you get on.
    Will do
    Regards
    Robin

Eversolo DMP-A6
    Cyrus CD i

I'm mike.

I've had an ECP-1 in the main system for a good few years, it's now giving stirling service in my office system. It was only the fact that the fixed loading didn't suit my new MC cart that meant a change. It certainly still sounds good to my ears and Electrocompaniet has a rather stylish look to their offerings I think.
    'If you can keep your head when all about you are losing theirs, you obviously don't fully understand the situation!'

I'm Clive.

Did I say I hate with a vengeance Dip Switches, especially if there on the back panel.

I’ve just taken delivery of a PS Audio Stella Phonostage. No dip switches, all changes via a remote control and infinitely variable MC loading if the cartridge is not the standard 100k. Spectacular sound, a truly excellent Phonostage.
    SOURCE:OPPO UDP-205 BluRay, SkyQ, Technics SL1210M5G/HexMat Eclipse/MN Bearing/Origin Live Gravity One puck/Isonoes with Boots/Jelco TK-850S Tonearm/Hana Umami Blue, PS Audio Stellar Phonostage. I also have an AT-OC9XSH as a spare cartridge.
    AMPLIFIER: Bryston BR-20 Pre/DAC/Streamer & Bryston 4B3 Power Amplifier
    SPEAKERS: Spendor D7 on Iso-Acoustics Gaia III’s
    HEADPHONES: OPPO PM-1 with Atlas Zeno cable, B&W Pi7 S2 and B&W C5 v2.
    CABLES: Analogue: Speaker Atlas Mavros Grun. Interconnect - Atlas Mavros XLR x3, MCRU Silver Tonearm cable
    Digital:Audioquest Carbon Ethernet x 4, Audioquest Carbon digital, English Electric 8Switch, Chord Optichord, Atlas Optical.
    Mains: PS Audio Perfectwave AC-05 x 5, Isol-8 Powerline Extreme with Quantum Science yellow fuse on input cable, Sounds Fantastic 6way Mains Blocks.
    STORAGE: Synology DS216J NAS with 2 x 3Tb WD Red hard-drives. Samsung 500Gb SSD.
    TV LG55B7 OLED

I'm Alan.

Quote Originally Posted by Clive197 View Post
    I’ve just taken delivery of a PS Audio Stella Phonostage. No dip switches, all changes via a remote control and infinitely variable MC loading if the cartridge is not the standard 100k. Spectacular sound, a truly excellent Phonostage.
    Interesting choice Clive.
    I've just read up about it, I imagine it does sound rather good.
    I love Hendrix for so many reasons. He was so much more than just a blues guitarist - he played damn well any kind of guitar he wanted. In fact I'm not sure if he even played the guitar - he played music. - Stevie Ray Vaughan

+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567