+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cack handed with dl103

I'm Dee.

Default Cack handed with dl103

Wanted to give my turntable a thorough clean and to my horror must have snapped the cantilever clean off of my Denon dl103....I have no idea how it happened and it’s nowhere to be seen .Do I have any worthwhile replacement options or should I just put it down to experience (very costly) and buy another one:

I'm Geoff.

Done exactly the same with a DL-103. I didn't bother to replace it or retip it, I had other cartridges.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Charlie.

Send it to ESCo for their sapphire cantilever and ultra low mass para trace. It totally transforms the 103.
    R2R: Studer A820 1/2 inch 2 track; Otari MTR-12 1/4 inch 2 track; Sony APR 5003; Sony APR 5002; Studer A807/II. Vinyl: Platine Verdier Allaerts MC1B/Schroeder Reference & Model 2 Decca C4E/Hadcock 228 TRON Seven Reference phono. Keith Monks MkII RCM Other analogue source: Nakamichi Dragon with ANT4066 mods. Amplification: TRON Meteor preamp TRON Voyager 20B SET power. Speakers: Avantgarde Duo. Digital: computing at last with Prism Sound Lyra 2 A2D converter

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Sadly, the cost of repair (by say Soundsmith, or Expert Stylus Co.) will be at least the cost of a new replacement DL103.

I would bite the bullet and cough up the £230 for a new cartridge.
    Barry

I'm Charlie.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    Sadly, the cost of repair (by say Soundsmith, or Expert Stylus Co.) will be at least the cost of a new replacement DL103.

I would bite the bullet and cough up the £230 for a new cartridge.
    Barry, the ESCo sapphire cantilever and paratrace takes the 103 to a totally different level - way better than any stock 103 version (standard or esoteric). It is astonishing - yes the upgrade costs more than a new standard 103, but the upgraded 103 will be better than any other unmodified 103 IMO
    R2R: Studer A820 1/2 inch 2 track; Otari MTR-12 1/4 inch 2 track; Sony APR 5003; Sony APR 5002; Studer A807/II. Vinyl: Platine Verdier Allaerts MC1B/Schroeder Reference & Model 2 Decca C4E/Hadcock 228 TRON Seven Reference phono. Keith Monks MkII RCM Other analogue source: Nakamichi Dragon with ANT4066 mods. Amplification: TRON Meteor preamp TRON Voyager 20B SET power. Speakers: Avantgarde Duo. Digital: computing at last with Prism Sound Lyra 2 A2D converter

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Yes, but the 'upgraded' 103 is not the standard version that Dee had, and presumably was one whose sound and presentation he enjoyed.
    Barry

I'm Lawrence.

Good to consider all the options anyway.

I'm Stephen.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    Yes, but the 'upgraded' 103 is not the standard version that Dee had, and presumably was one whose sound and presentation he enjoyed.

I have been down this road with "esoteric" cantilevers and styli both on a DL-103R and a Goldbug Brier and it drastically changes the presentation. I really couldn't get on with the "new sound" and moved the 103R on. The Brier is still in it's case on my bookshelf.

The only "upgrade" I have found to my liking is my Paradoxpulse Guard DL-103R with original cantilever and stylus - sounds wonderful
    Always a little further

I'm Dee.

Hi Barry,thanks for your comments ..the Dl103 was my first foray into lo moving coils and I was very happy with it.The sound was always going to be a compromise because it was mounted in a SME Improved series
    2. with heavy counterweight care of MAGNA audio.,but I enjoyed the sound. Its not an end journey choice,
    I had actually been looking at the Hana range of cartridges ,but I felt it was an honest capable cartridge and I’m just going to have to bite the bullet and buy another one. I still have a Denon dl110,Shure v15 and Goldring 1042 to hand to commiserate with😢

I'm Charlie.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Papa Dee View Post
    Hi Barry,thanks for your comments ..the Dl103 was my first foray into lo moving coils and I was very happy with it.The sound was always going to be a compromise because it was mounted in a SME Improved series
    2. with heavy counterweight care of MAGNA audio.,but I enjoyed the sound. Its not an end journey choice,
    I had actually been looking at the Hana range of cartridges ,but I felt it was an honest capable cartridge and I’m just going to have to bite the bullet and buy another one. I still have a Denon dl110,Shure v15 and Goldring 1042 to hand to commiserate with😢
    This is interesting ( well, to me anyway) because I have the same carts in my own collection. Do you have a preference amongst them?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast