+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Turntable swap - suggestions welcome

I'm Stuart.

Default Turntable swap - suggestions welcome

Morning all
    Currently have a Project Debut Carbon TT with Ortofon Red. I know this is little more than entry level but it has done what I wanted it to do.

as so many others seem to be doing, my brother now wants to re-live his youth by ‘getting back into vinyl’, but is under no illusions as to what is involved. At the moment, I’ve set him up with an old Marantz TT, my Rega phono pre amp, a Project head amp and my old Sennheisers. He doesn’t want speakers.

My TT is underused and I’m thinking of letting him have it on the cheap (we do this out of thing from time to time!). Brother sorted - he couldn’t possibly want any more than my Project.

That leaves me with an issue. Someone who listens 90% digital sources (mainly Raspberry Pi streamer/FLAC files, etc), but who doesn’t want to be without a TT altogether even though it will be underused unless I can sort out once and for all my never ending issue with crackles and pops on vinyl (but that’s another story and a distraction here).

Any suggestions?

Do nothing is the sensible option but if I do that, it’s possible that my brother won’t even get as far as a Project Debut TT.
    Me - buy a Rega Planar P1 or similar. it might just rekindle my love of vinyl, at least for a while.
    Me - buy something old or used - perhaps from a local auction - and have it refurbed. I don’t have the skills to refurb anything myself but can do basic component replacement.

Thoughts/words of wisdom appreciated as ever.
    Last edited by MisterMoseley; 23-11-2021 at 08:58.

I'm Peter.

Well I can only applaud you Stuart for helping out your brother.

Though of course what you go for might depend on budget, there's often something up for sale here or on the WAM or PFM etc...

As for the pops and crackles, that's mostly down to cleanliness of the vinyl and a little bit the quality of the cartridge...

You never know, you might get some sympathetic offers from other members.!

Good luck... Pete

Sent using Tapatalk
    Pete

Micro Seiki DD40/MA505/Denon DL304
    Musical Fidelity MX-VYNL
    Musical Fidelity X-A200R
    ATC scm11

I'm Grant.

if you dont have access to a proper vaccum record cleaner, then that and a good fluid will go a long way to fixing the noise. regas are good decks
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Peter.

As it happens this just turned up on the WAM forum, if it's within budget.?

https://www.hifiwigwam.com/forum/top...g-e3-cartridge

Sent using Tapatalk
    Pete

Micro Seiki DD40/MA505/Denon DL304
    Musical Fidelity MX-VYNL
    Musical Fidelity X-A200R
    ATC scm11

+ Reply to Thread