+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: WTD: Any turntable for about £60 : for reborn vinylista...

I'm Don.

Default WTD: Any turntable for about £60 : for reborn vinylista...

Due to my big mouth, next door neighbour wants to get back into vinyl and wants :sad:me to find him a turntable...I know this will end in tears, but wanted to know if anyone has a Japan type 80's plastic semi return deck for sale? London or Stanstead i can collect otherwise, I can pay postage. £60 for deck and a tenner for postage?
    Had a look on ebay and missed out on a couple yesterday...facebook is full of turd...forget Gumtree.....

Thanks in advance

I'm Paul.

Painful journey.
    I've done it for a couple of people and trying to explain why you need an amp and speakers and how it all connects can be difficult - they're used to apps and everything being instant.

Then there's the sound quality issue : does it really sound better than digital if it's something so lightweight and they're playing old records from charity shops ?
    Or worse, the latest £30 titles on offer at Sainsbury's ?

I don't understand people .. but then I'm currently selling lots of things on Facebook Marketplace following a big house clear-out and I can't believe how dumb some of them are. Sadly, the reach is enormous and the fees are zero so you have to deal with the muppets.

... and I say that as a lefty liberal
    Linn Sondek LP12, Ittok, AT-F7
    Schiit Mani MK1 Phono Pre-Amp
    Nobsound NS-08P Bluetooth pre-amp
    Marantz CD5004 CD Player
    Pure DAB tuner
    2 x Meridian 205 monoblock power amps
    Tannoy T225 "Mayfair" speakers
    www.paulridgeblog.com

I'm Martin.

The days when you could easy get such a deck for that money are gone. A few years back I got a mint SL6 for £70 now they fetch £200 plus

Here's a possibility - https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/115081881...DZyC&LH_BIN=14

Not great but for that budget it's either something like that or a Crossley.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Geoff.

Thorens TD150 Mk.II on ebay in north London. Needs a cartridge, but is likely to be OK otherwise and it has the lid. Amazing sounding little TT! Could go cheap.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/353767970...gAAOSwXzRhj7PM
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Don.

Thanks guys, yes you are completely right...I know I'm going to regret this......painfully... I've already sourced a pair of bookshelf MS speakers and Topaz amp with remote, for £90 ...and this looking lark takes time away from my hifi .gggrrrr

I'm Don.

Thanks Geoff, that Thorens is walking distance!

I did sell one of these recently....well above the £150 mark.....I did miss out on this beauty...just for myself! What a steal....

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DUAL-1015...p2047675.l2557
    Last edited by donmarrese; 23-11-2021 at 08:45. Reason: bored

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    Thorens TD150 Mk.II on ebay in north London. Needs a cartridge, but is likely to be OK otherwise and it has the lid. Amazing sounding little TT! Could go cheap.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/353767970...gAAOSwXzRhj7PM
    collect only will keep the price down but I bet it still goes for more than a ton.
    Current Lash Up:

I'm Don.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    The days when you could easy get such a deck for that money are gone. A few years back I got a mint SL6 for £70 now they fetch £200 plus

Here's a possibility - https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/115081881...DZyC&LH_BIN=14

Not great but for that budget it's either something like that or a Crossley.
    So true!!!!

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    collect only will keep the price down but I bet it still goes for more than a ton.
    Actually, Looking at it again, I can't see the outrigger weight for tracking force. Still worth grabbing at the right price though.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Martin.

if a few years back you were looking to invest some money I can't think of anything that would have given a higher ROI than some budget turntables, except maybe Bitcoin.
    Current Lash Up:

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast