+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: First MC cartridge

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

I'm mike.

Default First MC cartridge

I currently have a 2M black mounted on an Origin Live Onyx, in turn attached to a birch ply plinthed Lenco GL75. The 2m stylus is about ready for renewal but in itself is nearly 400. I do sometimes find the 2m a little 'cold' I suppose might be one way of putting it.
    So I've been pondering adding a bit to the budget and fancy trying an MC cartridge, the Hana SL from much reading and so on seems to fit the bill and won't break the bank. The fact that it's low output isn't a problem as I use an Electrocomaniet ECP1 phono stage which caters for both MM and MC.

Opinions/advice welcome
    'If you can keep your head when all about you are losing theirs, you obviously don't fully understand the situation!'

I'm openingabottleofwine.

The Hana MC cartridges do get good reviews from all quarters. Whilst I have no experience of them, were I looking to buy an MC cartridge I would most certainly consider the Hana range.
    Barry

I'm John.

You won't go far wrong with the SL as long as you can give it 400+ Ohms. Whilst it will play happily at the std 100 Ohms most fixed load mc stages come with it really comes on song with the higher setting.
    If you are stuck with a fixed 100 Ohms then I would look at either the AT OC9xML, Ortofon Quintet range (you will get a PX value for your 2M) or Goldring Eroica Lx.

Sent from my I3312 using Tapatalk
    Money may not make me happy.
    But it helps me afford the kind of misery I prefer.

SYSTEM 1:

Analogue.
    Brinkmann Bardo / 12" OL Enterprise Mk4 / Koetsu Rosewood Signature Platinum /BigBottle mk3 /MFA Baby Reference Pre/Nord One UP SE NC500M/Martin Logan Summit

Digital.
    Docet Lector CDP-7TL mkiii/Pimped Bluesound Node2 + BOTW SBooster Lps/ Pimped Mk1 Jolida Fx Glass DAC.

Wires etc.
    Audioplan Musicable ICs & TQ Black ll SC, assorted branded kettle leads.
    Target TT shelf & Alphason 5 shelf rack.
    Power Inspired AG1500S mains regen.

SYSTEM 2: Back to the 80s.

Garrard 401, RB250, A&R P77Mg / Mk1 Marantz CD63 SE / Sony TC-FX150 / Sansui T500L / Cambridge Audio C50 + 2x A50 as bridged monos (mid 80s Stan Curtis's design) / or KEF 104ab/ Original 80s Monster Cable IC, DNM SC / Target 5 shelf rack.

SPARE KIT:
    A&R E77Mg
    Ortofon 2M Silver + Blue stylus
    Philips CD600
    Arcam Alpha 8P
    Pro-Ject DacBox S FL
    CCA
    FiiO Taishan
    Heybrook HB1 S2
    Q Acoustics 3050

I'm mike.

Yes, the ECP1 is fixed. I've not come across the AT or Eroica but did think about the Quintet range. The blue is very reasonable pricewise but i though that might just be a sideways move. The bronze, well just trying not to spend that much but a trade in might make it more attractive.
    Thanks for the suggestions, more research to pass the dark winter months
    'If you can keep your head when all about you are losing theirs, you obviously don't fully understand the situation!'

I'm Gary.

I have a Goldring Eroica L with Van den Hul stylus and Eroica LX with Gieger II stylus, they don’t seem to be mentioned that much, very musical cartridges in my opinion.

Gary
    It is easier to seek forgiveness than to ask permission

Rules are meant for the obedience of fools and the guidance of wise men

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Stryder5 View Post
    I have a Goldring Eroica L with Van den Hul stylus and Eroica LX with Gieger II stylus, they don’t seem to be mentioned that much, very musical cartridges in my opinion.

Gary
    I like them too.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm mike.

i like the idea of 'musicality'. Should probably have said as well that most, OK alll my vinyl is 60's and 70's pop and rock although I've got a bit mellower nowadays (Hawkwind doesn't get much of an airing) and I play a lot of more acoustic style stuff.
    Agreed you don't seem to see much about the Goldring cartridges, wonder why?

When the 2m wears out the stylus is replaceable, when an MC wears out do you, as I've seen, buy a new one with a discount for the old or get it retipped? What's the cost of retippping?
    Apologies if that last is a numpty question but i've seen mention of these things in discussions but being in the MM owners camp glossed over them.

I'm Gary.

Cartridges, as with most things, tend to be in or out of trend depending on marketing etc.

Retipping or rebuilding as necessary is probably £300 ish, as you say trade in is available from most manufacturers at advantageous cost.

Keep your records clean, if you don’t have a record cleaning machine get one. Manual ones are less than £100. Stylus life is dependant on many things but 1000 hrs plus.

Gary

Eroica will be happy at 100ohms.

Certainly not sterile or cold
    Last edited by Stryder5; 22-11-2021 at 20:57. Reason: Added notes
    It is easier to seek forgiveness than to ask permission

Rules are meant for the obedience of fools and the guidance of wise men

I'm mike.

Thanks Stryder, that doesn't seem unreasonable pricewise.
    I was fortunate enough to get an unwanted Moth kit form another forum member, does the job admirably if noisily. Makes a difference to those old albums. I had a really filthy mono copy of 'Satanic Majesties Request' which was unplayable. Couple of cleaning sessions and while not perfect it plays through fine.

I'm malcolm.

I use a Quintet Blue and am very happy with it but I weighed up the cost of replacing the cart every couple of years (at least) against cost of more expensive offerings. It suits my musical listening tastes nowadays which are mainly blues and electronic based, it is definitely more 'laid back' than the 2m Black which has amazing detail.
    Audiophile Tosher

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast