+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: A confession.

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Pigmy Pony View Post

Talk about thread drift - how did we get from spending money earmarked for an engagement ring on hifi to giving up fags
    You were free-associating and we just went with it.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Dennis.

I do not really understand smoking. I remember my first fag and how it made me ill for about 7 hours, but that illusive supposed pleasure all the adults and ads conveyed, caused me to persist until I habituated sufficiently to not feel ill.

Having overcome all the nausea and distaste, becoming habituated, there is a sort of spaced out pleasure from the intoxication, and it can last with me for many hours.

After long breaks I usually have found that I again am nauseated by it and feel sick, get flesh crawl overheating and dizzy.

With my strong concern for health in every other respect I have just ruled it out, and accept reality with all of its often unfettered unpleasantness as the way to go for me. I nearly had a brandy in my cocoa this evening, but put the bottle away without having any. This decrease in consumption of Remy Martin has resulted in the accumulation of three bottles of it from previous Christmases.

I'm Mike.

From an aesthetic point of view, do precious metals really have any value, if you can fool some South American tribe, then why not one's future wife?
    Current system 1210 GR. CDP - Meridian G08. Amp -Sugden A21I - Sig. Wharfedale Lintons.

I'm Mike.

Audiophiles meanwhile are far easier than some ancient tribe to fool, you can just use bog standard metal or wood, just tell them it has magical acoustic qualities.
    Current system 1210 GR. CDP - Meridian G08. Amp -Sugden A21I - Sig. Wharfedale Lintons.

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Quote Originally Posted by Mikeandvan View Post
    Audiophiles meanwhile are far easier than some ancient tribe to fool, you can just use bog standard metal or wood, just tell them it has magical acoustic qualities.
    Not me!
    Barry

I'm Steve.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    Not me!
    Nor me - I like to think that mostly we are music lovers first and foremost, who want our music to be presented in as convincing and enjoyable way as our budgets/talents will allow. And are old enough and wise enough not to be readily taken in by snake oil claims.

Unless that is the definition of "audiophile".
    I just dropped in, to see what condition my condition was in

T/T: Inspire Monarch, X200 tonearm, Ortofon Quintet Blue. Phono: Project Tube Box CD: Marantz CD6006 (UK Edition); Amp: Musical Fidelity A5 Integrated.
    Speakers: Zu Omen Def, REL T9i subwoofer. Cables: Atlas Equator interconnects, Atlas Hyper 3.0 speaker cables

T'other system:
    Echo Dot, Amptastic Mini One,Arcam A75 integrated, Celestion 5's, BK XLS-200 DF

A/V:
    LG 55" OLED, Panasonic Blu Ray, Sony a/v amp, MA Radius speakers, REL Storm sub

Forget the past, it's gone. And don't worry about the future, it doesn't exist. There is only NOW.

KICKSTARTER: ENABLING SCAMMERS SINCE 2009

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Quote Originally Posted by Pigmy Pony View Post
    Nor me - I like to think that mostly we are music lovers first and foremost, who want our music to be presented in as convincing and enjoyable way as our budgets/talents will allow. And are old enough and wise enough not to be readily taken in by snake oil claims.

Unless that is the definition of "audiophile".
    +1

Not sure what the definition of "audiophile" is. I never use the term. No doubt it was first coined in America (I think it was Hartley who coined the term 'high fidelity'), and by someone who did not know that lexicographers frown on Latin-Greek hybrid words.

Wikipedia makes an attempt of a definition: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Audiophile.
    Barry

I'm Lawrence.

I remember reading a definition of an audiophile somewhere, it said someone who only listens to a few pieces of music over and over again while changing their system. I didn't think it was a proper definition but it struck me as a likely symptom

I'm Martin.

I think the term originates from magazine 'The Absolute Sound' back in the 1950s.

I think the intent was to create an elitist mindset amongst the readership, defining them as people who are more discerning than the typical enthusiast who is happy with his Sony.

I've never been keen on it as a label.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Steve.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    I think the term originates from magazine 'The Absolute Sound' back in the 1950s.

I think the intent was to create an elitist mindset amongst the readership, defining them as people who are more discerning than the typical enthusiast who is happy with his Sony.

I've never been keen on it as a label.
    Me neither, I wouldn't call myself one, and wouldn't call anyone else an audiophile, not even as an insult.
    I just dropped in, to see what condition my condition was in

T/T: Inspire Monarch, X200 tonearm, Ortofon Quintet Blue. Phono: Project Tube Box CD: Marantz CD6006 (UK Edition); Amp: Musical Fidelity A5 Integrated.
    Speakers: Zu Omen Def, REL T9i subwoofer. Cables: Atlas Equator interconnects, Atlas Hyper 3.0 speaker cables

T'other system:
    Echo Dot, Amptastic Mini One,Arcam A75 integrated, Celestion 5's, BK XLS-200 DF

A/V:
    LG 55" OLED, Panasonic Blu Ray, Sony a/v amp, MA Radius speakers, REL Storm sub

Forget the past, it's gone. And don't worry about the future, it doesn't exist. There is only NOW.

KICKSTARTER: ENABLING SCAMMERS SINCE 2009

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast